Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

I already walk 30 to 45 minutes per day, and usually get at least 25 minutes in my cardio zone. Any suggestions?

It’s so nice to read about everyone’s walks and the beautiful scenery! Let’s keep going!

@pollyanne

@jakedduck1 Well, you can be proud of me. I took your advice and went for my walk. It rained a bit and then stopped and it wasn't actually quite as hot as the day before. As I walked in the door the rain came down harder so I timed it pretty well. I was going to do my yoga exercises but my daughter phoned and I spent the next hour talking to her, which is always good. Tomorrow I will do the yoga as well. Thanks for kicking me into shape. Now for my late lunch.

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I think I am posting in the wrong place but had to let Jake know that I just received a late Mother's Day present. Just delivered A box of Lindt milk chocolate truffles. I have been doing my exercise so I think I deserve one. Would you like one?

@becsbuddy

It’s so nice to read about everyone’s walks and the beautiful scenery! Let’s keep going!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy I am very discouraged. We had been walking every other day and I would do my bike on alternate days but I am discovering that on the day following walking my thighs and knees are killing me. It must be from the impact of walking on a hard surface even though the track is not as hard as pavement, and I walked a lot on a treadmill when I was going to my health club.

Yesterday I could do very little early in the day but as the day progressed things got slightly better so I did a video workout and my bike in the evening. A friend suggested that some medications can contribute to aching muscles and sure enough, my cholesterol medication is one that can so I have a note to my doctor on the portal to see if that could be the problem and find out if a different medication could be used instead. I will probably try walking on the track again today but I will wear different sneakers, maybe that will help.
JK

@contentandwell

@becsbuddy I am very discouraged. We had been walking every other day and I would do my bike on alternate days but I am discovering that on the day following walking my thighs and knees are killing me. It must be from the impact of walking on a hard surface even though the track is not as hard as pavement, and I walked a lot on a treadmill when I was going to my health club.

Yesterday I could do very little early in the day but as the day progressed things got slightly better so I did a video workout and my bike in the evening. A friend suggested that some medications can contribute to aching muscles and sure enough, my cholesterol medication is one that can so I have a note to my doctor on the portal to see if that could be the problem and find out if a different medication could be used instead. I will probably try walking on the track again today but I will wear different sneakers, maybe that will help.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell If you can walk on ground that is better for you the ground is more forgiving then cement or blacktop to walk on So this is your best bet just walk on the ground. Now if you have a good sole and inner sole that gives that maybe good to walk on track . Let us know how it goes . I found this out for me is the best . Use to walk in a park but cant get there now .

@lioness

@contentandwell If you can walk on ground that is better for you the ground is more forgiving then cement or blacktop to walk on So this is your best bet just walk on the ground. Now if you have a good sole and inner sole that gives that maybe good to walk on track . Let us know how it goes . I found this out for me is the best . Use to walk in a park but cant get there now .

Jump to this post

@lioness Thanks for the feedback. I sent a message to my doctor about the medication on the portal and I got a call this morning from his office. They suggested that I stop taking the pravastatin for a week to see if that helps. If it does I guess we will find a different option for my cholesterol.

Today we will walk the track and I will try different sneakers but the ones I have been wearing are pretty well-cushioned New Balance sneakers so I am not sure that will help.
I would really like to walk on the path next to the river which I hear is nice but my husband doesn't want to go there. There are bald eagles nesting in that area too, along with other wildlife so it would be nice.
JK

@jal333

I already walk 30 to 45 minutes per day, and usually get at least 25 minutes in my cardio zone. Any suggestions?

Jump to this post

@jal333 Good morning! You said that you’re looking for suggestions—anything specific?

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell I am wondering why the medication would suddenly bother your knees and thighs. Have you been taking the cholesterol medicine for long? Mind you, I tried a very small dosage of one of those drugs and it bothered my stomach too much. I am now not taking any. My cholesterol total is a little high but I have very high HDL so I hope that protects me enough. I do like cheese too much though. I have also been experiencing another problem due to a medication and I am weaning myself off.

However, years ago when I was a fitness instructor I had to give some of the classes in a roller rink. It was great space but the surface was extremely hard. I started a lot of pain all over my body and was forced to give up giving the classes. The pain and wear and tear that I still suffer from seems to have originated from those hard work outs. So my guess is that you are having some of the same trouble.

Sometimes I find a change of shoes can help and I also have orthotics in my running shoes, plus a half inch lift in one shoe because my hips are crooked from a slight difference in the length of legs. Sometimes the problems can be started by a very slight imbalance. I am having trouble with my right knee myself and I think it is coming from my back. I would give some thought to some of these details. Walk on grass whenever you can.

It looks like we are opening up more in Maui and I actually have a hairdressers appointment next week, so I think I shall be able to see my back therapist, except she is bound to be already booked with already existing appointments. She is extremely popular. Things are improving.Good luck with sorting out your problem and let us know how you get on..

@jal333

Jump to this post

@jal333 Vigorously swinging your arms really ups the cardio. Prior to isolating that was stressed by one of the water fitness class instructors I used to have, so when we walk I always do that. When we walk on our street my BPM is much higher too because there is a hill, vs the track which is of course flat. Unfortunately the hill really bothers my hip bursitis.

@pollyanne I have not been taking the cholesterol medicine for too long, and that combined with walking on a harder surface may be causing the problem. If not then I will just have to figure out something else.
JK

@contentandwell

@jal333 Vigorously swinging your arms really ups the cardio. Prior to isolating that was stressed by one of the water fitness class instructors I used to have, so when we walk I always do that. When we walk on our street my BPM is much higher too because there is a hill, vs the track which is of course flat. Unfortunately the hill really bothers my hip bursitis.

@pollyanne I have not been taking the cholesterol medicine for too long, and that combined with walking on a harder surface may be causing the problem. If not then I will just have to figure out something else.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell It could be a combination and if you see what a break from the meds creates, then you will have a better idea. At least then you will know what to concentrate on. If you don't improve perhaps you need to increase the bike for a few weeks. Are you doing any strengthening exercises for your thighs?. Sometimes that can help. I know you do other exercise some of the time. Good luck

Please sign in or register to post a reply.