JAK2 Mutation, Low Iron and High Platelet count
I was being treated for low iron – was sent to a Oncology Hematologist- had Iron Infusions – gradually the iron values increased. Only received an infusion two times. The doctor is seeing me every 6 months, Platelets are increasing and I was told I was born with the JAK 2 Mutation apparently never surfaced ever until recently. I was a regular blood donor, and years ago I was needing iron and saw this same type of physician. For raising Platelets, eventually I will be put on a medication, he said my count must be 1.000,000 first (one million).
What in blood work determine a Jak 2 Mutation? I have not given blood since the two diagnoses. Any information of your experiences or knowledge will be appreciated.
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Blood Cancers & Disorders Support Group.
I was recently diagnosed with MDS/MPN-RS-T with Jak2 mutation also. My doctor recommended this site. It makes me feel better to know of someone with this. I have so much to learn. I find info on MDS or MPN or Jak2, but this is the 1st time I've seen anyone with my same diagnosis. I'd love to learn more about your experiences if you'd consider sharing. Thank you. Debbie (age 63)
I was diagnosed in January 2019 at Sloan after a bone marrow procedure and a molecular panel. MDS/MPN-RS-T is extreme rare. Only seven patients at Sloan in Manhattan and they see leukemia patients from the Tri-state area and international patients. Sloan said there are approximately 700 cases per year in the states. That goes to the point that this is an extremely rare disorder. I’m on a daily 500 mg Hydroxyurea and 81mg aspirin regime. So far so good. My hematologist/oncologist says we have a 30% chance of mutation to AML but that means we have a 70% chance this sucker won’t mutate. So the odds aren’t that bad. My blood labs are now within or near the normal range so things are going well for now. I also have a severe form of Axonal Neuropathy. I had Exome Sequencing and Whole Exome tests done on November 5, 2020 at Weill Cornell Hospital in Minhattan and I’m waiting (impatiently) to learn which subset of that disease I have. Hopefully, not the worst forms. Do you know which genes have mutated?
How are you tolerating the treatment so far?
By the way, check out the websites for
Myleukemia.com, MyMPNteam, MPN Research Foundation, MDS-foundatio.org.
They have good resources.
Thank you for responding, very appreciated. As of now, knock on wood, the only mutation is the Jak2. I was on hydroxyurea for the high platelets and 81mg aspirin. I got Covid and after recovering, my bloodwork showed my hgb, rbc, wbc got very low so he took me off hydroxyurea. I get bloodwork done again in a couple weeks, I imagine platelets are high again but mine are faulty, they don't stick together. I hope you get positive results soon on your tests. How long have you had this or been diagnosed? I have had anemia for years, always told due to inflammation. My new general physician sent me to a cancer/blood dr when she saw repeated high platelets along with other signs something wasn't right. He ordered bmb and that's when I was diagnosed, so I don't know how long I've actually had it. He stated we'd monitor monthly blood work, treatment as needed, transfusions and chemo. So far 81mg aspirin each day and doing ok. Worried but trying to learn more about it. Hope to hear from you again.
I was originally misdiagnosed with Essential Thrombocythemia in 2018 by a hematologist at the VA Hospital on Long Island based on labs and a blood smear. She said, “I know what’s wrong with you and I know how to treat you”. I didn’t believe a word of that because I’m a MIT science guy. Her diagnosis was not based on science. I called Sloan and several days later I had the BM procedure and a molecular panel that analyzes 400 blood genes for mutations. The BM results indicated MDS/MPN-RS-T and the molecular panel indicated the JAK2, SFB31, and SRSF2 gene mutations. Based on those results I was put on a daily regimen of 500mg Hydroxyurea and a 81mg aspirin. Sloan wrote a letter to the VA stating MDS/MPN-RS-T is incurable absent a stem cell transplant and I would be a Hydroxyurea indefinitely or until this blood cancer mutated to full blown leukemia. Turns out the standard protocol for this disease it’s a daily regimen of Hydroxyurea and aspirin for anyone over 65.
Regarding the Axonal Neuropathy- this sucker is more of a problem that the MDS/MPN-RS-T thing because it really effects my quality of life on a daily basis. The geneticists at Cornell won’t prescribe anything to alleviate the spasms and tingling until they know what my actual diagnosis is. Turns out many forms of Axonal Neuropathy are caused by gene mutations or low levels of one or more proteins. The trick is to identify which genes have mutated and what protein levels are missing or are either too low or too high. I have tried the standard drugs for nerve pain but they don’t work. So we wait for the results of the Exome Sequencing tests.
MJPM- Many thanks for your epistle and distinct definitions. I have suffered from ET for about 3 years. You give me hope that there is a connection between Peripheral Neuropathy in my left leg and ET. Exome Sequencing tests may help my JAK2 gene mutation get some attention. I will ask my Oncologist to run the test. Thanks again for your analytical take from MIT. Please keep posting. Best Regards, Dave L.
The Exome Sequencing and Whole Exome tests are very expensive and many insurance companies won't pay for them because many genetic tests are considered "experimental". Cornell placed me in a research trial along with two of my daughters because we have a family history of neuropathy going back 5 generations. My daughters are starting to experience the same symptoms as me. But do ask. Not sure there is any connection between my blood cancer and my Axonal Neuropathy. Good luck.
Do ask your Hematologist/Oncologist to run the molecular panel which looks for the most common blood mutations.
Sorry, but I just want to point out that if you're considering the exome sequencing tests for your neuropathy symptoms you cannot use your blood because your blood is "contaminated". You'll have to use a piece if your skin that requires a minor surgical procedure. They will use your skin sample to grow chromosomes for analyses. Takes 4 months or more. I'm already waiting 4 months.