Share this:

Is it Social Anxiety Disorder, Asperger's or a Medical Condition

Posted by Anonymous-d7bdc505 in Brain & Nervous System, Jul 28, 2011

I have a 20 year old son who has been battling the following symptoms since late his Sophmore year in High School. Problem communicating with others and forming friendships. He is also experiencing anxiety as well as difficulty concentrating, fatigue, recent significant weight loss ( 95 pounds in 14 months....he is 6 feet tall) and difficulty being around anyone (prefers being alone in his room). He also lost consciousness prompting a fall while showering twice Some history: He was bullied emotionally his junior year in High School which then led to extremely low self esteem and withdrawal from activities he enjoyed. He went to a psychologist for a year and was diagnosed with depression and placed on medication. The medication prompted weight gain (45 lbs) within 6 months. He decided to go off the medication because he did not like how it made him feel nor did he like the weight gain; however he remained in therapy. Medical tests given: Blood work checking for anemia, kidney and liver function and thyroid all normal. Cholesterol tests normal. A brain scan checking for tumors normal. At this point he refuses to go to a psychologist and will not go on antidepressant or anxiety medication. However, he has recently started cutting himself ( 3 times that I know of the last 7 months). I do not know what to do. He will not discuss his feelings with anyone: however I think he would be open to more medical tests. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tags: wic, mental health


Posted by @worriedmom, Aug 1, 2011

I know for sure he wasn't sexually abused from 2003 to present. But I guess I don't know for sure prior to that although I doubt it.

Posted by Anonymous-8da50f35, Aug 3, 2011

I would get a full neuropsych eval. Sometimes internists try to diagnose and occasionaly it might be beyond their scope, especially in teens...a psychiatrist in conjunction with a neurologist can often sort out the issues and get a more comprehensive analysis in order to make an accurate diagnosis (maybe there are multiple diagnoses?) and make recommendation on appropriate therapy and/or medication.


Posted by @deliasanderson, Nov 29, 2011

i would suggest going back to a therapsist, try to highlight his last experience and ask him in what ways it was helpful, this might entice him

Please login or become a member to post a comment.