I just had a calcium score of 502 but I’ve been on statins for years?

Posted by tropicgal711 @tropicgal711, Nov 9, 2023

My calcium score even though on statins was 502? Should I have other tests? What does the calcium test even mean? I’m 68, diabetic, with high triglycerides and expecting my first grandson in January!❤️
I want to be around for him! I work out 3x a week, could lose 20 lbs, really sucks getting old!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Heart & Blood Health Support Group.

The test detects calcium in your coronary arteries. 500 is a high number but there are many people with that number or much higher that don’t have problems. The score by itself only indicates there is calcium in your arteries. It doesn’t detect whether there is a blockage, which is the primary concern. I had a score well over 500 but have no immediately concerning blockages. The blockages were measured by a CT coronary angiogram.

The 500 score is high enough that some additional testing should be done. Is your PCP not in contact with you about it? After my diagnosis, the next step was a nuclear stress test. My PCP did not refer me to a cardiologist, but I found one on my own that gave me the CT angiogram. It was real peace of mind to have that CT angiogram.

The score is not a reason to panic, though I know it’s scary. I’d guess your PCP will contact you and direct you toward the next steps. If s/he doesn’t, you should find a cardiologist or someone to help you on your own. If you are proactive about your atherosclerosis, you can live a long healthy life (or at least that is what I have been told and what I am banking on)!

My calcium score was 2000 after statins for 12 years and cholesterol that’s always been in acceptable ranges. My PCP puts everyone over 55 on them to “make sure any plaque sticks to the arteries and doesn’t break loose”. I’m 71 and very active. Cardi told me not to worry about the 2000 score, to keep exercising and eating low fat, low carb diet. Lost 30 lbs and 40 lbs to go to target. I have “mild afib” and 40% blockage where D1 comes LAD artery.

My CAC score is 2350. Only other indicator of heart disease was high blood pressure of 140s lowered to less than 120 by meds.

My understanding is that age and given most any heart issue like high blood pressure, you take statins. Statins, in addition to lowering LDL and triglycerides, cause calcification of plaque, which shows on the CAC test.

You should have a stress test with echo, and reduce LDL (mine is 50), reduce triglycerides (mine is 50) ... my total cholesterol is around 100. Lose weight.

Your diabetes might be a big concern ... you should lose weight and eat carefully, until you feel it is controlled.

@bitsygirl

The test detects calcium in your coronary arteries. 500 is a high number but there are many people with that number or much higher that don’t have problems. The score by itself only indicates there is calcium in your arteries. It doesn’t detect whether there is a blockage, which is the primary concern. I had a score well over 500 but have no immediately concerning blockages. The blockages were measured by a CT coronary angiogram.

The 500 score is high enough that some additional testing should be done. Is your PCP not in contact with you about it? After my diagnosis, the next step was a nuclear stress test. My PCP did not refer me to a cardiologist, but I found one on my own that gave me the CT angiogram. It was real peace of mind to have that CT angiogram.

The score is not a reason to panic, though I know it’s scary. I’d guess your PCP will contact you and direct you toward the next steps. If s/he doesn’t, you should find a cardiologist or someone to help you on your own. If you are proactive about your atherosclerosis, you can live a long healthy life (or at least that is what I have been told and what I am banking on)!

Jump to this post

Thanks so much! I will definitely get the CT Angiogram

@4aces4me

My calcium score was 2000 after statins for 12 years and cholesterol that’s always been in acceptable ranges. My PCP puts everyone over 55 on them to “make sure any plaque sticks to the arteries and doesn’t break loose”. I’m 71 and very active. Cardi told me not to worry about the 2000 score, to keep exercising and eating low fat, low carb diet. Lost 30 lbs and 40 lbs to go to target. I have “mild afib” and 40% blockage where D1 comes LAD artery.

Jump to this post

Thanks so much

@tropicgal711

Thanks so much! I will definitely get the CT Angiogram

Jump to this post

Sometimes a CT is not helpful because the calcium causes so much interference that is does not show the calcium effectively.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.