Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

I have been taking this only 2 months.. 1 mg daily. About 3 weeks ago I woke up with pounding sound in my right ear. I never had that before, sounding like a pulse sound. Is this a side effect? I have had no other issues with the drug and the sound has not come back again. I had an echo cardiogram and that showed normal activity.

@micheleandrew

I'm grateful I found this MayoClinic community! I am 52 years old, had bc twice - in 2010 and more recently stage 1 in 2020. My younger sister had it at 33 years and is doing well, no longer in treatment. I was on Tamoxifen in 2010, and now taking Zolodex (to put me into menopause) and now taking Anastrozole since 2020. I'm not sure I can take the side effects any more. I'm meeting with my oncologist next week for my 6 mos. visit. I was told the symptoms after a few months would stabilize. It's almost 2 years, I have osteopenia, but the fatigue, sleep issues and joint pain (wrists, hands, knees) and brain fog are rough. I have two teenage sons who keep me on my toes! I have a hard time working (I am a remote therapist), sitting down after extended time just makes me achy. When I'm up and moving around and don't need to focus - I'm okay. I am going to ask my dr. about my case and recurrence risk. My Dr. and team make it sound like those with side effects are not the norm - but the Infusion nurse (who happens to also be a bc survivor) tells me that all of the bc patients she sees complains of the hormone treatments (AIs) and she had to stop herself, she was so miserable. I guess it's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm tired of explaining myself to my friends, etc. who wonder why I more flaky these days - I simply don't have the energy and feel that great some days. I suppose if you haven't been there, it's hard to imagine because they think I'm done and on the other side. Thanks for listening.

Jump to this post

I also had a chemical oopherectomy and then endocrine therapy. Like @windyshores I found that an hour walk a day really helped me with the achiness, and joint stiffness. The symptoms of menopause are still around some years later. I am so grateful it has gotten cooler because it at least slows down the water loss from the hot flashes. Lol Taking these drugs is a cost vs benefit decision for each person and every person reacts a little differently. Luckily we can share tips. Here is a few of mine. Walking outside, rain or shine, helps me feel less achy and gives me a chance to clear out the cobwebs in my brain to better focus on the day. It is also according to the Mayo doctors, the single best exercise for your bones. A small desk fan aimed at my head and chest area at night helps me sleep through the night. If I feel like I am a bit scattered or struggling with a thought, and I had to teach myself this……let it go. It will probably come back later.
It is hard when we are done with the surgeries, and the chemo, and the radiation, and everyone expects us to be the same as we were before cancer. The truth is I am not that person, and the hardest thing I had to accept is, that ship sailed away and will not be back.
Have you developed any tips or patterns that seem to make things better for you?

@suejer0731

I have been taking Anastrozole 1 mg for 2 months, About a month ago I had a loud pounding in my ear while sleeping and it continued for about an hour after I got up, never had this before. Was this a side effect of the drug? I have not noticed any other usual side effect and the pounding never came back. My dr gave me an echo cardiogram to be sure it was not related to heart..that came out showing normal.

Jump to this post

This is a new thing for me to hear. I went back and read quite a bit of different effects from a lot of different people. I didn’t find this, I did find the occasional ear ring or buzzing, but without disturbance. You said this happened a month ago, anything since? Could this have been a sinus issue?

@micheleandrew

I'm grateful I found this MayoClinic community! I am 52 years old, had bc twice - in 2010 and more recently stage 1 in 2020. My younger sister had it at 33 years and is doing well, no longer in treatment. I was on Tamoxifen in 2010, and now taking Zolodex (to put me into menopause) and now taking Anastrozole since 2020. I'm not sure I can take the side effects any more. I'm meeting with my oncologist next week for my 6 mos. visit. I was told the symptoms after a few months would stabilize. It's almost 2 years, I have osteopenia, but the fatigue, sleep issues and joint pain (wrists, hands, knees) and brain fog are rough. I have two teenage sons who keep me on my toes! I have a hard time working (I am a remote therapist), sitting down after extended time just makes me achy. When I'm up and moving around and don't need to focus - I'm okay. I am going to ask my dr. about my case and recurrence risk. My Dr. and team make it sound like those with side effects are not the norm - but the Infusion nurse (who happens to also be a bc survivor) tells me that all of the bc patients she sees complains of the hormone treatments (AIs) and she had to stop herself, she was so miserable. I guess it's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm tired of explaining myself to my friends, etc. who wonder why I more flaky these days - I simply don't have the energy and feel that great some days. I suppose if you haven't been there, it's hard to imagine because they think I'm done and on the other side. Thanks for listening.

Jump to this post

Reading this I feel that I could have written this myself but couldn’t put it into words…thank you

@auntieoakley

I also had a chemical oopherectomy and then endocrine therapy. Like @windyshores I found that an hour walk a day really helped me with the achiness, and joint stiffness. The symptoms of menopause are still around some years later. I am so grateful it has gotten cooler because it at least slows down the water loss from the hot flashes. Lol Taking these drugs is a cost vs benefit decision for each person and every person reacts a little differently. Luckily we can share tips. Here is a few of mine. Walking outside, rain or shine, helps me feel less achy and gives me a chance to clear out the cobwebs in my brain to better focus on the day. It is also according to the Mayo doctors, the single best exercise for your bones. A small desk fan aimed at my head and chest area at night helps me sleep through the night. If I feel like I am a bit scattered or struggling with a thought, and I had to teach myself this……let it go. It will probably come back later.
It is hard when we are done with the surgeries, and the chemo, and the radiation, and everyone expects us to be the same as we were before cancer. The truth is I am not that person, and the hardest thing I had to accept is, that ship sailed away and will not be back.
Have you developed any tips or patterns that seem to make things better for you?

Jump to this post

You hit the nail on the head. I’m not the same as I was and as you said the ship has sailed and that girl is gone. I am really struggling with that….

@auntieoakley

This is a new thing for me to hear. I went back and read quite a bit of different effects from a lot of different people. I didn’t find this, I did find the occasional ear ring or buzzing, but without disturbance. You said this happened a month ago, anything since? Could this have been a sinus issue?

Jump to this post

No sinus problem. I did notice on google/Mayo clinic the “pounding in ear was a side effect. Saw it only there and not under the general drug side effect information .,

@auntieoakley

Jump to this post

Thank you for the post. I’m glad to hear walking helps you. I enjoy walking. I have found movement and drinking lots of water, these help the most. Sometimes I’m so tired and I forget to drink water more frequently. Someone told me sip the water or herbal tea, not gulp it down!
I do make myself a smoothie most mornings and put 2 scoops of turmeric powder (Costco) in it. I do notice more joint pain especially at night if I forgo my smoothie. Im wondering if any other supplements might help.

@suejer0731

I have been taking this only 2 months.. 1 mg daily. About 3 weeks ago I woke up with pounding sound in my right ear. I never had that before, sounding like a pulse sound. Is this a side effect? I have had no other issues with the drug and the sound has not come back again. I had an echo cardiogram and that showed normal activity.

Jump to this post

Hello @suejer0731. Glad to hear that the pounding sound went away and that your echo cardiogram was normal. How long did the pounding sound last?

@jaynep

You hit the nail on the head. I’m not the same as I was and as you said the ship has sailed and that girl is gone. I am really struggling with that….

Jump to this post

To me, this is a daily revelation. Today, I learned that my patience with petty rules being more important than people has run out. When I was stronger, physically and mentally, it was easier for me to just look for ways to find solutions and stay within whatever is allowed.
Today I am contemplating learning to be an unrepentant rule breaker. Lol
Last week I learned I can’t stay awake all night with a sick relative and work all the next day. I just can’t figure out what happened to me.🤷🏻‍♀️😂
What kinds of things are forever gone for you?

@suejer0731

Jump to this post

About an hour.. then never came back.. just curious if that was from drug as I have had no other side effects.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.