Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@marcia115

I have surgery for my breast cancer in Dec. they wanted me to take Anastrozole for 5 years,
I said no to many side effects plus bone thinning, If I can't take radiation then I am taking
nothing, hoping I don't get it again. I will not take the meds, and quality of my life, I don't want to
get sick and the people I talked to were on it and got off, they felt so bad.

Jump to this post

I refused aromatase meds they first time I had breast cancer (4 yrs ago) w/lumpectomy & 3-day radiation for the same reason as you: quality of life. I have chronic pain from spine issues & ostopenia & just didn't want to risk even more pain in my life. I had a recurrance this year. This time I had lumpectomyw/3 weeks of radiation. I begrudgingly said yes & an on Letrozole since June. I had minimal side effects & after a HORRIBLE infusion reaction that lasted a week, I now have no side effects & my chronic pain has even lessened!! I never would have expected this result. So us UT worth a try? Perhaps.

I had a lumpectomy 9 years ago and had radiation, they wanted me to take a pill a different one
at that time and I said no then. now in the other breast same thing I just don't think I want the
Anastrozole, the quality of life for me. What is the infusion for that you had? My bones are very thin then
when I get off of this medicine it will be another for my bones!!!!

I just hope people will give these meds a try, rather than assume quality of life will be affected, at least significantly. And I think that unless side effects are severe, it is good to give the meds a month since the body tends to adjust to hormonal meds, and the effects of estrogen deprivation will not be clear for awhile. I don't know anyone in person (as opposed to online) whose quality of life was affected by AI's.

Bones can be managed....my feeling was that cancer, if it spread, would be a lot harder to manage than bones.

I had a lumpectomy and a low enough oncotype that I didn't need chemo. I have been prescribed anastrozole, and have researched the side effects. I am most worried about the mental deterioration and memory loss side effects. I don't know the percentage of women who experience these frightening side-effects. I don't even know how I would know if my cognitive abilities and memory are being affected. It's easier to diagnose the bone loss issue if they happen and I believe there are therapies to deal with bone loss. But I don't like the idea of cognition and memory loss and it seems to be one of the delayed effects that don't happen until you've been on anastrozole for a while. I think the same is true of any AI therapy. I will be discussing this with my oncologist next month. I have not yet had any hair loss and the hot flashes are not bad. I'd get more information from your doctor if I were you. That's what I'm planning to do. Good luck.

@tenayalake86

I had a lumpectomy and a low enough oncotype that I didn't need chemo. I have been prescribed anastrozole, and have researched the side effects. I am most worried about the mental deterioration and memory loss side effects. I don't know the percentage of women who experience these frightening side-effects. I don't even know how I would know if my cognitive abilities and memory are being affected. It's easier to diagnose the bone loss issue if they happen and I believe there are therapies to deal with bone loss. But I don't like the idea of cognition and memory loss and it seems to be one of the delayed effects that don't happen until you've been on anastrozole for a while. I think the same is true of any AI therapy. I will be discussing this with my oncologist next month. I have not yet had any hair loss and the hot flashes are not bad. I'd get more information from your doctor if I were you. That's what I'm planning to do. Good luck.

Jump to this post

BC survivors often have tough decisions to make about their future health and quality of life.

I choose to take Anastrozole and I have tolerated it very well for aspects that I can observe. My primary focus is on recurrence prevention. That said I am also focused on mitigating unobservable potential side effects of bone loss with nutrition and weight bearing exercises and nutrition for possible cholesterol elevation. So far things are ok.

If your oncologist feels that AI will limit your recurrence odds I recommend that you try it before assuming that you will have negative QOLife reactions. It’s a daily oral med that can be stopped at any time if it’s intolerable. 🌸

@moverland

I refused aromatase meds they first time I had breast cancer (4 yrs ago) w/lumpectomy & 3-day radiation for the same reason as you: quality of life. I have chronic pain from spine issues & ostopenia & just didn't want to risk even more pain in my life. I had a recurrance this year. This time I had lumpectomyw/3 weeks of radiation. I begrudgingly said yes & an on Letrozole since June. I had minimal side effects & after a HORRIBLE infusion reaction that lasted a week, I now have no side effects & my chronic pain has even lessened!! I never would have expected this result. So us UT worth a try? Perhaps.

Jump to this post

What infusion did you have?

I chose to be on Anastrozole for 12 years because of my deep wish to avoid metastatic cancer. I had aches and pains, 3 fractures, BUT: I also had peace of mind which is its own benefit.

@anjalima

What infusion did you have?

Jump to this post

Zolodonic Acid. I will have to have these infusions every 6 months for the first 3 years I am on Letrozole. They are for bone support. I am told the remaining 5 infusions will not have a strong a reaction. I certainly hope so as I have never experienced such pain
( for a week!) in my life!!! Worth it....perhaps.

@moverland

Zolodonic Acid. I will have to have these infusions every 6 months for the first 3 years I am on Letrozole. They are for bone support. I am told the remaining 5 infusions will not have a strong a reaction. I certainly hope so as I have never experienced such pain
( for a week!) in my life!!! Worth it....perhaps.

Jump to this post

Thank you. I hear they get MUCH easier with each one. Also hear that slowing the infusion rate ( upon request) helps also.

Hugs. 🌸

@anjalima

BC survivors often have tough decisions to make about their future health and quality of life.

I choose to take Anastrozole and I have tolerated it very well for aspects that I can observe. My primary focus is on recurrence prevention. That said I am also focused on mitigating unobservable potential side effects of bone loss with nutrition and weight bearing exercises and nutrition for possible cholesterol elevation. So far things are ok.

If your oncologist feels that AI will limit your recurrence odds I recommend that you try it before assuming that you will have negative QOLife reactions. It’s a daily oral med that can be stopped at any time if it’s intolerable. 🌸

Jump to this post

I have been taking anastrozole for almost 3 months. I have few current side effects. The percentage of recurrence seems small even if I don't take it, but I have plans to discuss it further with my oncologist next month. I am most concerned about the long term cognitive and memory issues, because I won't know if or when they are occurring. I need to find out whether there are tests for side effects to the brain. I know he can monitor any potential bone loss, and there are therapies for this possibility. I do exercise. You're right; there are tough decisions.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.