Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@vivi1

Like madeler22, I am also almost 2 months in and so far so good! I take my pill in the morning with breakfast and calcium supplements (Citracal, K2, D3, B12, Mag). I then walk and a bit later I often go to the gym for weight bearing exercise and yoga. That and a changed diet to basically vegetarianism following the anticancer diet (Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber) and keeping within normal BMI may have a bearing on the lack of negative side effects. Time will tell, as well as the next dexascan and blood work. Best wishes to all breast cancer patients!

Jump to this post

Do you prefer the Citracal? I know nothing about it but see it mentioned by others. And kudos for making other changes as well as taking the meds without difficulties. I kind of figure that any lifestyle change that better-supports health is a plus for the immune system at the least and that has to be good.

The thing about changing diet is you have to stick to it, in this case meaning for me no meat, no diary, no sugar sweetening, and lots of greens, berries, nuts, olive oil, and turmeric. It goes along with what is being touted in health circles about improving sugar levels, metabolism, gut microbiome, cardiac health, and the immune system. (Discussed, for example, by Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. William Li, and The Food Revolution) As for Citracal, the Minis are easiest to take while Maximum Plus have additional micronutrients "to support bone health" but are large pills that I split. I am open to recommendations from others, especially anyone whose bone T scores have been helped by such supplements while taking an estrogen blocker.

@vivi1

The thing about changing diet is you have to stick to it, in this case meaning for me no meat, no diary, no sugar sweetening, and lots of greens, berries, nuts, olive oil, and turmeric. It goes along with what is being touted in health circles about improving sugar levels, metabolism, gut microbiome, cardiac health, and the immune system. (Discussed, for example, by Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. William Li, and The Food Revolution) As for Citracal, the Minis are easiest to take while Maximum Plus have additional micronutrients "to support bone health" but are large pills that I split. I am open to recommendations from others, especially anyone whose bone T scores have been helped by such supplements while taking an estrogen blocker.

Jump to this post

Thanks, I probably won't be that strict about diet but aim for improvement.

I too would love to hear about people actually improving bone density without meds. I spoke with a woman who swears that she actually reversed osteoporosis (and later survived breast cancer) and am doing the usual stuff to stay in the osteopenia or better phase. Balanced with the awareness that I'm getting older and, there are some inevitable changes so one can only try to mitigate them.

I began Arimidex , aka Anastrazole post masec/chemo/rad and stayed on 4 1/2 yrs . Slight increase in Osteoporosis , no other side effects , not a big deal , just not effective when the cancer metastisized into lymph , pleural lung area and 1 bone lesion . So , the damn cancer mutates and outran it , as with many / most all treatments . No hair loss , tons of long curly hair after it being straight all my life . Weird , right , but so common . We call it "curly chemo hair " among my BC friends . You'll be fine , and best of luck to all of us ! PJS

@pjsfla

I began Arimidex , aka Anastrazole post masec/chemo/rad and stayed on 4 1/2 yrs . Slight increase in Osteoporosis , no other side effects , not a big deal , just not effective when the cancer metastisized into lymph , pleural lung area and 1 bone lesion . So , the damn cancer mutates and outran it , as with many / most all treatments . No hair loss , tons of long curly hair after it being straight all my life . Weird , right , but so common . We call it "curly chemo hair " among my BC friends . You'll be fine , and best of luck to all of us ! PJS

Jump to this post

@pjsfla you raise an interesting question about resistance that develops with these meds. Are you taking a different AI for your MBC? I am going to send you a private message about how you were diagnosed, so as to avoid a tangent in this thread.

@windyshores

@pjsfla you raise an interesting question about resistance that develops with these meds. Are you taking a different AI for your MBC? I am going to send you a private message about how you were diagnosed, so as to avoid a tangent in this thread.

Jump to this post

Forgot to say , yes , taking faslodex shots . aka fulvestrant . That is another AI , to rid the estrogen , so to starve the cancer . 1x a month . It isnt enough alone so also on Ibrance , but hasn't been shown to work yet . Fingers crossed , scan likely in May / June to see if working or not . Been a roller coaster , and problems with slow appts at Kaiser perm . They blame covid of course . Best , PJSFLA

Just for clarification
Faslodex (fulvestrant) is not technically speaking an aromatase inhibitor. It is also an anti-estrogen medication.but is an estrogen receptor downregulator (ERD). It works by blocking the actions of estrogen in the body.

Faslodex is used in postmenopausal women with hormone-related breast cancer that is advanced or has spread to other parts of the body (metastatic).

@colleenyoung

Just for clarification
Faslodex (fulvestrant) is not technically speaking an aromatase inhibitor. It is also an anti-estrogen medication.but is an estrogen receptor downregulator (ERD). It works by blocking the actions of estrogen in the body.

Faslodex is used in postmenopausal women with hormone-related breast cancer that is advanced or has spread to other parts of the body (metastatic).

Jump to this post

I'm sorry if I mis spoke . I am MORE confused , however and request clarification on a "inhibitor" vs a "downregulator" of estrogen . Please ?

@pjsfla

I'm sorry if I mis spoke . I am MORE confused , however and request clarification on a "inhibitor" vs a "downregulator" of estrogen . Please ?

Jump to this post

@pjsfla, you're so right. Anti-estrogen therapy is so confusing. I find this page on breastcancer.org explains all the types and the mechanisms of action plainly.
- Hormonal Therapy https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal-therapy

@colleenyoung

@pjsfla, you're so right. Anti-estrogen therapy is so confusing. I find this page on breastcancer.org explains all the types and the mechanisms of action plainly.
- Hormonal Therapy https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal-therapy

Jump to this post

SCIENCE BASED and very informative. I was confused by the "good riddance to estrogen" aspect , and now I see how the functionality is very different . Thank You so much for this help. I am trying to understand my treatment , not at all easy for a lay person . TY !

Please sign in or register to post a reply.