Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@madeler22

Always scary stuff to read when your journey taking a hormone blocker is just beginning. I’m a newbie taking Anastrozole (10 days in), so at this point I’m trying not to anticipate too much so I don’t make myself crazy in the process. I have my first bloodwork & followup on March 23rd, so until then I’m trying not to let it get into my head too much.
Thoughts and prayers to all those on their journey as well. 🙏💕

Jump to this post

I know you've read the many comments but just to reiterate for anyone else new to anastrozole, I'd make sure to have a DEXA scan (to monitor any subsequent changes in bone density) and cardiac workup (to monitor cholesterol). That way you have recent baseline numbers to compare any changes. And the tips elsewhere to stave off osteoporosis on those threads are great. You can offset some of the side effects while deriving the benefits from the aromatase inhibitor. And ditto on the thoughts and prayers for all of us on this unchosen journey.

@callalloo

I know you've read the many comments but just to reiterate for anyone else new to anastrozole, I'd make sure to have a DEXA scan (to monitor any subsequent changes in bone density) and cardiac workup (to monitor cholesterol). That way you have recent baseline numbers to compare any changes. And the tips elsewhere to stave off osteoporosis on those threads are great. You can offset some of the side effects while deriving the benefits from the aromatase inhibitor. And ditto on the thoughts and prayers for all of us on this unchosen journey.

Jump to this post

My oncologist and I had a detailed conversation about concerns with taking Anastrozole, 6 weeks before I started the drug. (I had to finish radiation treatments first). Fortunately for me I have already been taking Calcium and D3 for several years and have had 2 DEXA scans prior to be being diagnosed, so the baseline was there. (I have osteopenia). I also started taking Collagen 3 months prior to starting the drug to help strengthen my hair. I also have been taking a cholesterol drug for about 18 months prior to diagnosis (mine is high genetically); and one final note, I already have a low WBC and have had it for at least 15 years, so my oncologist told me that since I've been checked for abnormalities and leukemia in the past and all my tests were negative, that I am just one of those people for whom a low WBC is 'my normal'.
Having prefaced all these areas for which I had concerns, I had my first month blood review and all my bloodwork was normal. I also have had no side effects to speak of, and my hair stylists told me just this week that I have new hair growth in my part (Go Collagen!). Fingers crossed that all the supplements I already had built up in the my system beforehand, with the addition of Collagen only, have helped to prevent sore joints, hair thinning, a lower white count, high cholesterol - all things that concerned me initially. Of course I'm only one month in and I have 4 years and 11 months to go - lol - but so far, so good. I also hope that adding some weight bearing exercises to my routine will help to strengthen my bones even more.
That's my story so far - as always my thoughts and prayers for everyone on their respective journeys as well.

I'm cross-posting this on another site here for those of us also concerned about bone loss. If the study is valid, vitamin D3 also has breast cancer benefits in addition to working with calcium in bones.

"1,25-Dihydroxycholecalciferol, the hormonally active vitamin D3 metabolite, is known to exhibit therapeutic effects against breast cancer, mainly by lowering the expression of estrogen receptors and aromatase activity."

To read the study, net search the title"Vitamin D Compounds PRI-2191 and PRI-2205 Enhance Anastrozole Activity in Human Breast Cancer Models"

@madeler22

My oncologist and I had a detailed conversation about concerns with taking Anastrozole, 6 weeks before I started the drug. (I had to finish radiation treatments first). Fortunately for me I have already been taking Calcium and D3 for several years and have had 2 DEXA scans prior to be being diagnosed, so the baseline was there. (I have osteopenia). I also started taking Collagen 3 months prior to starting the drug to help strengthen my hair. I also have been taking a cholesterol drug for about 18 months prior to diagnosis (mine is high genetically); and one final note, I already have a low WBC and have had it for at least 15 years, so my oncologist told me that since I've been checked for abnormalities and leukemia in the past and all my tests were negative, that I am just one of those people for whom a low WBC is 'my normal'.
Having prefaced all these areas for which I had concerns, I had my first month blood review and all my bloodwork was normal. I also have had no side effects to speak of, and my hair stylists told me just this week that I have new hair growth in my part (Go Collagen!). Fingers crossed that all the supplements I already had built up in the my system beforehand, with the addition of Collagen only, have helped to prevent sore joints, hair thinning, a lower white count, high cholesterol - all things that concerned me initially. Of course I'm only one month in and I have 4 years and 11 months to go - lol - but so far, so good. I also hope that adding some weight bearing exercises to my routine will help to strengthen my bones even more.
That's my story so far - as always my thoughts and prayers for everyone on their respective journeys as well.

Jump to this post

@madeler22 congratulations on your 1st month. I believe you are doing /did the right thing in being proactive with your health and knowing your body. This is so important as we move through the journey of medications that will possibly keep our cancer reoccurrence low. Stay strong! God Bless

@madeler22

Jump to this post

Much kudos for doing pre-meds prep work. It has to make a difference in helping the body deal with a new drug. And gives you a sense of empowerment and positively facing the next step I'd think.

@cindylb

The study I saw about the blood vessel and heart damage was small (about 60 women, with breast cancer, half on Arimidex, half not). They showed that the use of the Arimidex may accelerate blood vessel and heart damage. The women who did not take the pills didn't have as much heart damage or heart attacks but then.........estrogen safeguards bones, the heart and keeps our hair from falling out of our heads 🙂 I lost a lot of hair when I went through menopause (about half of my hair and it never came back). Maybe if that hasn't happened yet maybe the hair loss is more extreme and happens more quickly on these drugs? I don't know of any organic shampoos or conditioners that will help it grow back or look fuller. I use a shampoo that's not organic but 'less chemically damaging' to create fuller looking hair. I am considering hormone tests to give me a starting point for my estrogen and then trying to get my estrogen levels lower naturally with diet and supplements (I'm working on that now but don't have the testing to see if it's working). Also, I wonder if that's enough or if the drugs are doing other things that help keep recurrence down? I'm seeing my oncologist this month and will be talking with her about this. A naturopath might be a good place to do some research. I have one but may be shopping around a bit. I hope the medical community figures out hormone balancing naturally soon! 🙂

Jump to this post

I'm commenting years after your post (which, darn it, shows that breast cancer hasn't been prevented 100% yet...) but wanted to add that there's some evidence to suggest that anastrozole affects the endothelial tissue, which in turn affects the elasticity/reboundability of the arteries. It's not yet a major or listed side effect but it wasca consideration for my decision about the drug.

I mention this in reply to your comment about Armidex (generic is anastrozole) and blood vessels and coronary system health.

@madeler22

Jump to this post

@madeler22 it is so helpful that you posted about your experience so far with an aromatase inhibitor. Like you, I did not have significant side effects. I am sure your post will be reassuring for many!

@windyshores

@madeler22 it is so helpful that you posted about your experience so far with an aromatase inhibitor. Like you, I did not have significant side effects. I am sure your post will be reassuring for many!

Jump to this post

I’m almost 2 mos in & so far so good!

@madeler22

Jump to this post

Woo hoo!! Thank you for posting this. Sometimes we only see posts from people who are having issues with a drug.

@madeler22

Jump to this post

Like madeler22, I am also almost 2 months in and so far so good! I take my pill in the morning with breakfast and calcium supplements (Citracal, K2, D3, B12, Mag). I then walk and a bit later I often go to the gym for weight bearing exercise and yoga. That and a changed diet to basically vegetarianism following the anticancer diet (Anticancer: A New Way of Life by David Servan-Schreiber) and keeping within normal BMI may have a bearing on the lack of negative side effects. Time will tell, as well as the next dexascan and blood work. Best wishes to all breast cancer patients!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.