Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@omega20

I am taking anastrozole (breast cancer lumpectomy and now oncologist wants me to take Zometa for osteoporosis (left hip lumbar neck 3.1). This will be by infusion starting September 3, 2021. Can anyone share their experience with this drug. The anastrozole has been a relatively positive experience and I do hate to'"rock the boat".

Jump to this post

There is another discussion, I just visited about this very topic.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/zometa-infusions/
For me Zometa just means I have a bit of a drive and lunch at my favorite Italian. No side effects involved.

@auntieoakley

There is another discussion, I just visited about this very topic.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/zometa-infusions/
For me Zometa just means I have a bit of a drive and lunch at my favorite Italian. No side effects involved.

Jump to this post

Thank you do much for the encouragement. Are your infusions every six months? Are infusions 15 minutes or 30 minutes long? Thank you.

@omega20

Thank you do much for the encouragement. Are your infusions every six months? Are infusions 15 minutes or 30 minutes long? Thank you.

Jump to this post

Yes they are every six months. I would say maybe 20 to 30 minutes. They do add some saline. I do pre and post hydrate with a little extra water as well. Do they have you scheduled yet?

@colleenyoung

Welcome @susanao1. Great to add another experience to this discussion.
You are right that each person has to take into their particular circumstances when weighing the pros and cons of treatment against the side effects and quality of life. Age and general health are also factors to be considered.
We look forward to getting to know a bit more about you.

@cautiousoptimism @tinalove @grandma41 @luladavis @leemiller @maureenkarras will you join me in welcoming Susan?

Jump to this post

Hello everyone
I’m new here. Dx with Stage 2A Grade 1 - surgery was 6 months ago, partial mastectomy, reduction and lift. No node involvement, oncotype 12 and pathology suggests non agressive cancer. I’m now on AI for 5 years- and started with Letrozole. After 3 months on it, significant symptoms of aching fingers and feet, numbness in hands and right foot. Some hair thinning, mild hot flashes… I had to stop at my oncologist’s suggestion to take a break and try another AI. I’m now on week 3 of exemestane - and still have achy tingling hands.
I’m exercising daily, yoga twice a week … fighting weight gain.
I’ve started taking tart cherry concentrate - there is a study I can post here that showed statistically significant improvement in some common AI sx using tart cherry.
Best wishes to everyone on this journey!

@auntieoakley

Yes they are every six months. I would say maybe 20 to 30 minutes. They do add some saline. I do pre and post hydrate with a little extra water as well. Do they have you scheduled yet?

Jump to this post

Yes Sept. 3rd but the infusion is 15 minutes and they would not discuss lengthening it.

I started anastrozole on 1/04/2021. I have had minimum to zero side effects. I hydrate everyday (64 oz or more). I have continued my regular exercise routine (treadmill 45 min. Seven days a week).
In addition I do aerobic exercise tape 4 days a week.
This has been the key for me. Hair is doing ok so far no issue yet.
I am now having to to Zometa for osteoporosis so time will tell what happens.

@omega20

I started anastrozole on 1/04/2021. I have had minimum to zero side effects. I hydrate everyday (64 oz or more). I have continued my regular exercise routine (treadmill 45 min. Seven days a week).
In addition I do aerobic exercise tape 4 days a week.
This has been the key for me. Hair is doing ok so far no issue yet.
I am now having to to Zometa for osteoporosis so time will tell what happens.

Jump to this post

I am not sure that 15 minutes or 30 minutes will really make a difference if you pre hydrate for a day. For me they always use these tiny little saline bags and the medicine is actually syringe push during that little bag. The difference between 15 and 30 in our infusion room is how fast they run the saline. Realistically with all the new space restrictions, I think it boils down to how many people are waiting to get chemo. I really do drink a few extra big glasses of water the day before and the day of, and have had zero side effects from this.
Is anastrazole your first hormone treatment? Have you had any side effects from it?

Thank you so much for attaching the study. I have had foot pain for 2 weeks, and I think this study is giving me an explanation!! Like you, I exercise every day but have lots of hair loss and now this foot pain. I"m starting with the Tart Cherry juice today... Hopefully this will help! (It can't hurt!!) THANK YOU!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.