Treating Osteoporosis: What works for you?

Posted by heritage1955 @heritage1955, Apr 1, 2016

Hi. I'm new to the site and am interested in treating osteoperosis. I'm 39 yo and recently had a bone density that showed I'm at -2.4. So, going through the intial "I can't believe it" stuff. 🙂

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

Thank you for your reply.

In reply to @bruceandruth1970 "Thank you for your reply." + (show)
@bruceandruth1970

Thank you for your reply.

Jump to this post

Glad you got a reply. I guess if they come together it is OK. But I try to separate between morning and evening. But now my Ca is a little high so have cut back. I try to watch my serum levels and not take too much. since my bout with CH and afib.

This is slightly off-topic but don't know a better thread for it. I found this article from the U.K. dealing with osteoporosis and fractures. It lists using a TENS unit as a help in dealing with pain. I had to use one for a year for a bad back injury and the TENS unit helped a lot. I am just putting this out there for anyone dealing with pain and unfamiliar with it.
"If you're diagnosed with osteoporosis, there are steps you can take to reduce your chances of a fall, such as removing hazards from your home and having regular sight tests and hearing tests.

To help you recover from a fracture, you can try using:

hot and cold treatments such as warm baths and cold packs

transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) – where a small battery-operated device is used to stimulate the nerves and reduce pain by stimulating the nerves"

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/osteoporosis/
@callalloo

Are any of you taking collagen for osteopenia or osteoporosis?

Jump to this post

I started using Collagen about 9 months ago. After reading a lot about it, I figured it can’t hurt. I don’t know how to “prove” it helps with Osteoporosis, but my hair and nails are much stronger!

Interesting and thanks.

@jmanj

I started using Collagen about 9 months ago. After reading a lot about it, I figured it can’t hurt. I don’t know how to “prove” it helps with Osteoporosis, but my hair and nails are much stronger!

Jump to this post

Stronger hair and nails are a good result in themselves. And if bones need it as I've read maybe it's getting to them as well.

I am 65, multiple fractures, and worst Z score is 3.5 or so. I've done ALL the things(weight bearing excercise, no smoking, no alcohol x 3 years, good diet all my life), but have Hashimotos and presumed celiac. Pervasive family history of gastroesphageal cancer and upper GI problems, and I have non-specific gastritis WITHOUT reflux, although I don't take NSAIDS or other stomach irritants. I have been dairy-free on doctors orders x 5 years, gluten free on doctors orders x 8-9 years.
The new endocrinologist wants me on Forteo or Tymlos; I'm okay with using those drugs but not subsequently maintaining with Fosamax or similar because of the gastro problems. I also have family history of blood clots, and personal history of intolerance to hormonal interventions. HELP!

@nancyoinnc

I am 65, multiple fractures, and worst Z score is 3.5 or so. I've done ALL the things(weight bearing excercise, no smoking, no alcohol x 3 years, good diet all my life), but have Hashimotos and presumed celiac. Pervasive family history of gastroesphageal cancer and upper GI problems, and I have non-specific gastritis WITHOUT reflux, although I don't take NSAIDS or other stomach irritants. I have been dairy-free on doctors orders x 5 years, gluten free on doctors orders x 8-9 years.
The new endocrinologist wants me on Forteo or Tymlos; I'm okay with using those drugs but not subsequently maintaining with Fosamax or similar because of the gastro problems. I also have family history of blood clots, and personal history of intolerance to hormonal interventions. HELP!

Jump to this post

If the issue with Fosamax is that taking an oral bisphosphonate can exacerbate GI tract issues (which I have also, so totally understand), there are injectable or infusion bisphosphonates as well.
Can you talk with your physician about these options so you can formulate a reassuring game plan?

@callalloo

If the issue with Fosamax is that taking an oral bisphosphonate can exacerbate GI tract issues (which I have also, so totally understand), there are injectable or infusion bisphosphonates as well.
Can you talk with your physician about these options so you can formulate a reassuring game plan?

Jump to this post

I'll definitely ask the endocrinologist about that. She didn't mention the IV/IM bisphosphonate options when she was pressing me to take them, only moved on to Forteo. I'm a health care provider (retired optometrist, worked in a surgical clinic for many years) so I'm not too shabby at finding information, usually, but researching options in postmenopausal osteoporosis, and the blood work associated with assessing it, is not straightforward at all.
Thank you for the suggestion!

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your responses on my starting Forteo. I discussed my concerns about the shots everyday with my doctor, and we will be starting Reclast instead for one year. It's the infusion. I had stomach shots for something else in the hospital, and it was extremely painful for me. I am 69 and my bone density is bad, but she said it's ok to wait. I'll also be starting to walk a lot more and take calcium. Anyone else on Reclast?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.