Hearing Loss: Come introduce yourself and connect with others

Welcome to the Hearing Loss group on Mayo Clinic Connect.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet people living with hearing loss, and friends and family supporters. Whether you were born deaf or hard of hearing, experienced hearing loss after birth or with aging, it helps to connect with others. Together we can learn from each other, support one another and share stories about living with hearing loss, coping with challenges and celebrating milestones.

Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What is your hearing loss experience? Got a question, tip or story to share?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Hearing Loss Support Group.

@arrowshooter

Well I tried pairing my Phonak to the Oticon On app. Does not pair up. Phonak uses Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) so it does not work and can't.

Your son's older Phonaks are probably not Bluetooth LE.

Jump to this post

@arrowshooter

I checked with my son and they are Bluetooth. His client mentioned that when he gave them to him. He referred him to his Audi (first time for aids and an Audi for my son) who reprogrammed them several times for $250.
Cant beat that. Jim (son) says he didn't realize how many sounds he was missing....like the beep on the microwave. He is so delighted with them and has domes and they are lightweight so he doesn't realized he has them in. His client is one of the techiest (new word() guys around, is fairly well off and gets new aids every couple or years or when he thinks there is something better out there. So I don't think they are that old. So happy for him. I don't think he would have gone to an Audi soon despite what my DIL or I said. His client was the one who said..."Jim, you need hearing aids!" Boom.

FL Mary

@julieo4

Technology keeps getting better, but also more confusing for so many older people with hearing loss. Having batteries go dead has always been a major concern of mine. I've been using hearing aids for many decades, and have kind of grown along with much of the new technology. As a bimodal user of both a cochlear implant processor and a hearing aid, I've had to stay on top of things. However, I am not yet upgraded with the CI to some of the more recent innovations.

One thing that has interested (and confused) me, is when my husband who is now using hearing aids, starts talking. Typically, I look his way, but he doesn't look my way. It takes me a minute to realize he's answered a phone call via his hearing aids. Prior to this, I would usually hear his cell phone ring and know he had an incoming call. Just saying, it's kind of weird.

My cochlear processor has rechargeable batteries. I like that, but there are times I prefer using disposables. Over time, the rechargeables do lose power and although they charge, the charge time gets shorter. These batteries are removable units that charge when they are off the processor. I know that new rechargeable hearing aids do not separate from the battery compartment, and have to be fully placed in their chargers. I can order a new rechargeable battery for my CI processor, although quite costly. ($150+), so I can replace that old one. What does someone do when their hearing aid rechargeables die? Seems to me the entire aid would have to be sent in to be fixed. Being without my hearing devices for days would make me nuts. Can the audiologists fix them at their office?

My Cochlear processor has an option that has been a lifesaver. As a separate 'add on', I have what I've been told is called a 'battery cage'. It allows me to insert disposable batteries into a small sleeve/cage and use that rather than the rechargeable. Strangely, it is not considered a standard piece of tech that comes with the CI processor and must be purchased separately.

Like I said, tech is amazing, but it's very confusing for many who need to use it.

I hope others will share their personal experiences.

Jump to this post

Julie, rechargeable battery replacement is yet another difference between the Phonak and Oticon. Phonak gets sent in and Oticon are replaceable in local audiologist office.

@arrowshooter

Julie, rechargeable battery replacement is yet another difference between the Phonak and Oticon. Phonak gets sent in and Oticon are replaceable in local audiologist office.

Jump to this post

@arrowshooter That is a very important thing to know. Thanks! PS: I have had Phonak hearing aids over the years. Always liked them until I switched to Widex. I often wonder if it was the skill of the audiologist or the hearing aids. The Phonak guy had retired when I switched. Just proves how important that trial period is. Don't you think it should be longer than 30 days?

@arrowshooter

Well I tried pairing my Phonak to the Oticon On app. Does not pair up. Phonak uses Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) so it does not work and can't.

Your son's older Phonaks are probably not Bluetooth LE.

Jump to this post

@arrowshooter
Hi,

His aids are Bluetooth…I checked and he mentioned that his client said they were. His client is the one who told Jim he needed hearing aids and referred him to his Audi who programmed them a few times for $250. Can’t beat that. My DIL and I had been trying to get him to an ENT practice for awhile to get his hearing tested. His client is very techy and gets new aids when the latest comes out. Jim said he never knew he was missing so much…didn’t know the microwave beeped. The domes are comfortable and he is delighted that phone calls are going directly to his aids. He is 52 and I am so happy his client stepped in.

FL Mary

@imallears

@arrowshooter
Hi,

His aids are Bluetooth…I checked and he mentioned that his client said they were. His client is the one who told Jim he needed hearing aids and referred him to his Audi who programmed them a few times for $250. Can’t beat that. My DIL and I had been trying to get him to an ENT practice for awhile to get his hearing tested. His client is very techy and gets new aids when the latest comes out. Jim said he never knew he was missing so much…didn’t know the microwave beeped. The domes are comfortable and he is delighted that phone calls are going directly to his aids. He is 52 and I am so happy his client stepped in.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

Mary, life isn’t simple any more. Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE are not the same.

@julieo4

@arrowshooter That is a very important thing to know. Thanks! PS: I have had Phonak hearing aids over the years. Always liked them until I switched to Widex. I often wonder if it was the skill of the audiologist or the hearing aids. The Phonak guy had retired when I switched. Just proves how important that trial period is. Don't you think it should be longer than 30 days?

Jump to this post

I have rechargeable Oticons and so far I have not had issues with the battery not lasting me all day. Once I did forget to take my charger with me on an overnight trip. The aid actually lasted me until the afternoon the 2nd day. Luckily I was just with my husband and child so it wasn't so terrible once my aids did die. Now I bought a second charge to keep with my toiletries so I have it to pack when I go on vacation or out of town. My audi also said that right before my warranty goes out they will replace the batteries. Also if I use the bluetooth a lot, usually listening to podcasts and music while I work, but battery does drain faster. I noticed that the batteries were a lot lower in the evenings when I did that then when I didn't.

@arrowshooter

Mary, life isn’t simple any more. Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE are not the same.

Jump to this post

@arrowshooter

Good grief! I had to goggle Bluetooth LE and after reading the differences, I am not sure I care as long as it works. I am sure there will be an AB, CD and XYZ. I’m still waiting for Hologram captioning to appear below each person’s mouth . I’d even wear headgear for that technology.

FL Mary

@imallears

@arrowshooter

Good grief! I had to goggle Bluetooth LE and after reading the differences, I am not sure I care as long as it works. I am sure there will be an AB, CD and XYZ. I’m still waiting for Hologram captioning to appear below each person’s mouth . I’d even wear headgear for that technology.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

There's a job in Research & Development just waiting for out there somewhere.

@arrowshooter

There's a job in Research & Development just waiting for out there somewhere.

Jump to this post

@arrowshooter

That is funny. I reread the differences and it does make sense to me...they gave example of BT Classic and BTLE.
I will endeavor to get Holograms for "my people".

FL Mary

@coppermoon

My ENT said he did not think a cochlear implant was the way to go. Is this Osia implant the same sort of thing?

Jump to this post

No, this is not the cochlear implant, although the Osia is a Cochlear product. The system bypasses the external and internal ear and works by vibrating sound that carries through your bone. Google Osia and BAHA. There are several options for bone conduction implants.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.