Have you tried the new Protocol 525 product for neuropathy relief?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Apr 21, 2020

I have used the original version of the Protocol 525 product (https://theprotocolworks.com/) since 2016. I have idiopathic small fiber peripheral neuropathy with the only symptom being numbness in both legs. When I started taking the protocol, the numbness was just below my knees. After 2 months, the numbness seems to be just above the ankles which is subjective on my part with no additional testing. I do feel it is a win-win for me as my neuropathy has not progressed like I was told it would by the neurologist. I have continued taking the protocol in hopes that it may continue to roll back the numbness symptoms. I have noticed some new feeling in my feet in the last 2 months. Some feeling has returned to me feet and they seem to feel better lately although I still have the numbness – hard to describe the difference.

The Protocol 525 is not a cure for neuropathy. It treats the pain and discomfort symptoms of neuropathy without the drugs which have their own side effects. Have you tried the Protocol 525 or the original protocol? Did it help? If yes, how? If no, please share.

Note: I have no commercial investment in the protocol and I am sharing this information as someone who has found some degree of relief using this combination of supplements. I also discussed these supplements with my Mayo primary care team before I started taking them. The care team sent them to the pharmacist for review who did not have any major concerns for me taking them.

*** Edited Oct 3, 2023 ***
For more information and a list of the ingredients, please see the frequently asked questions on the Protocol's website here - https://theprotocolworks.com/faq/.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

Hi @klro0001 and @kathiejac -- Do you mind if I ask how is your experience going with the Protocol 525? Are you still on the protocol? Hoping all is well with you and you are doing OK.

@jesfactsmon

@sunnyflower
Hi Sunny, it seems like, from what I have heard from different people, that some people have a definite effect from RALA and some people absolutely don't. I personally am in the "don't" category, however I take it for it's supposed synergistic effect with acetyl l carnitine, from which I derive a noticeable energy boost. Now, Lori @lorirenee1 is an example of someone who says emphatically that she HAS gotten a positive benefit to her pain from taking RALA. So, who knows? Linda takes it and she notices nothing as well. Best, Hank

Jump to this post

Hi Hank, i think there may be a connection to the timing of when a person begins taking the RAla since it has a beneficial effect on helping to heal nerves; it may just be too late for some to gain any noticeable benefit, I was lucky enough to have begun taking it immediately after my diagnosis. At any rate, it is beneficial in other ways so it can’t hurt to take it. Helen

@helennicola

Hi Hank, i think there may be a connection to the timing of when a person begins taking the RAla since it has a beneficial effect on helping to heal nerves; it may just be too late for some to gain any noticeable benefit, I was lucky enough to have begun taking it immediately after my diagnosis. At any rate, it is beneficial in other ways so it can’t hurt to take it. Helen

Jump to this post

@helennicola Hi Helen and John @johnbishop . I got the Pure R-ALA for my husband about a month ago. He's been taking 300mg/day. I read that the studies where this supplement was beneficial was a minimum dose of 600mg/day. How many mg do you take a day of the R-ALA. I also read many people reported hair loss with this supplement but the addition of biotin is supposed to help. I recently got the Jarrow formula of R-ALA that also contains biotin. Have you had any issues regarding hair loss? Thank you, Michelle

@greenacres

@helennicola Hi Helen and John @johnbishop . I got the Pure R-ALA for my husband about a month ago. He's been taking 300mg/day. I read that the studies where this supplement was beneficial was a minimum dose of 600mg/day. How many mg do you take a day of the R-ALA. I also read many people reported hair loss with this supplement but the addition of biotin is supposed to help. I recently got the Jarrow formula of R-ALA that also contains biotin. Have you had any issues regarding hair loss? Thank you, Michelle

Jump to this post

@greenacres - I take 1200 mg daily of the Na-RALA. Here's the complete list of my daily supplements for neuropathy - Na-RALA 1200 mg. Magnesium 400 mg. B12 Methylcobalamin 8000 mcg. Methylated Folate (5-MTHF) 100 mcg. Omega-3 Fish Oil 1000 mg. (EPA 330 mg. DHA 220 mg). D3 2500 IU (62.5 mcg). Acetyl L-Carnitine 1000 mg. Vitamin K (as K2) 200 mcg. Thiamin (B1) 50 mg. Riboflavin (B2) 50 mg. Niacin (B3) 20 mg. Biotin (B7) 20,000 mcg. Organic HSO 1.5 oz.

Half of the quantity is taken in the morning and half in the evening. The Biotin is taken at noon -- needs to be taken with at least 2 hours apart from the other supplements or it's less effective. More info on the protocol's website - https://theprotocol525.com/faq/

@johnbishop

@greenacres - I take 1200 mg daily of the Na-RALA. Here's the complete list of my daily supplements for neuropathy - Na-RALA 1200 mg. Magnesium 400 mg. B12 Methylcobalamin 8000 mcg. Methylated Folate (5-MTHF) 100 mcg. Omega-3 Fish Oil 1000 mg. (EPA 330 mg. DHA 220 mg). D3 2500 IU (62.5 mcg). Acetyl L-Carnitine 1000 mg. Vitamin K (as K2) 200 mcg. Thiamin (B1) 50 mg. Riboflavin (B2) 50 mg. Niacin (B3) 20 mg. Biotin (B7) 20,000 mcg. Organic HSO 1.5 oz.

Half of the quantity is taken in the morning and half in the evening. The Biotin is taken at noon -- needs to be taken with at least 2 hours apart from the other supplements or it's less effective. More info on the protocol's website - https://theprotocol525.com/faq/

Jump to this post

Thank you John! I appreciate the great job you do monitoring this site as well. That's a lot to write down and those sound like high doses but I'm aware from your other messages that a Mayo Clinic pharmacist and your doctor approved this prior to you starting the protocol. Very helpful information.

@greenacres

Jump to this post

Hi Michelle, I take 300mg. RAla w/biotin 2x day plus extra biotin 2-3 x week. I do experience hair loss but not sure if it’s from the RAla or just my age 🙄 (74) but the extra biotin can’t hurt as it is water soluble. I hope your husband benefits, For me I have found it helps heal nerves plus it helps with pain.

Hi Helen @helennicola Thank you for sharing that very helpful information. I will suggest he try the 300mg Rala twice a day. I'll let both you and John @johnbishop know after a couple of months if anything changes.

John, on the website for the protocol there looks like a two prong approach. One is getting your body use to one supplement before starting the actual regimen
Also looks like they have put all the various supplements in one pill. Is that what you are doing now? I'm assuming the help oil does not contain thc. I always have in the back of my mind testing positive for cannabis. Thank,you. So much for all your info. You are so good at answering folks and their concern.

@mcd123

John, on the website for the protocol there looks like a two prong approach. One is getting your body use to one supplement before starting the actual regimen
Also looks like they have put all the various supplements in one pill. Is that what you are doing now? I'm assuming the help oil does not contain thc. I always have in the back of my mind testing positive for cannabis. Thank,you. So much for all your info. You are so good at answering folks and their concern.

Jump to this post

I think the two prong approach you are thinking about is the "ramp up" version where you start with less R-ALA until your body can handle it OK. Some people have stomach issues if they start the full amount of R-ALA. I didn't have the problem as I was taking about the same amount of the R-ALA before I started on the protocol.

When the group first started, we were ordering all of the different supplements that were researched through Amazon.com. The problem was we were taking a lot of pills each day which was a pain to put it nicely. The leader of the group met with a local pharmaceutical company to find out if some of the supplements could be combined into fewer pills which is where the 525 came about - 5 pills in the morning, 2 at noon, 5 in the evening. Much better than the 23+ that we were taking before the Protocol 525 product was released. Better yet was the price was about the same - $6 a day.

I am game to start this protocol. Do you take any other supplement to maintain good health? I have done my own research and taken many of these supplements but it certainly would be easier to have this program. Any warnings or suggestions. Thanks, Lisette

Please sign in or register to post a reply.