Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@babbs

No clarity that I’m aware of, but a significant number of us have a history of Shingrix vaccine, followed by shingles, followed by GD.

Jump to this post

Yup. No question, there is a connection.

@nek

I was about to schedule a Shingles vaccine shot and thought about potential issues with GD. I found some reporting suggesting it would be best to wait until more is known. At 76, I don't want to deal with either. Is there any clarity on this question? Thank you.

Jump to this post

I had been dealing withGD for several years. I was in remission and clear at the time I got the Shingrix vaccine. My first experience with shingles started about 3 days after getting the Shingrix vaccine. At first I thought my GD had returned, yet my rash was plaque like and not my typical clusters of tiny papuales. Typical itching of GD and in the same GD area. I went to my dermatologist who told me it Shingles and was definitely tied to the vaccine. He said shingles and GD are closely related. I am sorry I didn't ask for more specific information to could share with others. Dr. Jonathan Bellew, DO Mohave Skin and Cancer Clinics, 928-758-4475 That was a year ago and after I cleared up about 1 1/2 months later I have had neither GD or Shingles, I base my GD being in remission for so long because of cilantro detox. I did not go in for second Shingrix shot.

This isn’t a reply to your last comment but wanted to connect with you bc you have given me so much info this past year about Grover’s. I finally got a biopsy. It came back as Folliculitis. Possibly why the cilantro never worked. Anyways the Derm thought it wasn’t necessary for more biopsies and felt I could rule out Grover’s. It sure does fit many of it’s characteristics of Grover’s except I would occasionally get a random bump on my leg or arm which is possible with Grover’s. I was just wondering what your thoughts were about ruling out Grover’s. I’m happy to rule it out lol. I’ve been fortunate that even when I thought it was Grover’s that it was always a mild case but just itchy even when there was no bump, like something lurking under my skin. All of your advice on this page has been helpful due to the fact that I have other skin conditions like yourself.

I'm glad you got a diagnosis. I looked it up and folliculitis is inflamed hair follicles caused by bacteria of fungus. This may be good news as I assume it will be more treatable than GD. If is determined to be fungus related you should look into permanent ways to get rid of fungus as topicals may not go beneath the skin. Yeast is fungus. You mentioned many of us have multiple skin diseases at the same time. I have eczema but I also had chronic issues inside my skin without rashes. I went on an anti inflammation diet two years ago which is targeted at killing off the yeast which resides in our intestines. Good news is it worked to stop my inside skin burning and itching. I have had such success I will stay on this diets maintenance plan for life.
Cilantro helps almost 50% of us with GD, but if it doesn't help I don't know of anything else that will put it in remission other than time. I'd appreciate you updating us on your folliculitis treatment plan and sharing your results.

@babbs

No clarity that I’m aware of, but a significant number of us have a history of Shingrix vaccine, followed by shingles, followed by GD.

Jump to this post

Any thoughts on skin humidity? I'm in the far northeast of VT and seem to experience the first touch of GD when an ok day time indoor temp is good but being in bed before house temp has reduced seems to stir the GD, mostly on my back. I now keep temps in the mid 60's and dress for that. Eczema also in my mix, since age 2. Winter is coming and I wonder about skin humidity issues?

@gardeningjunkie

I'm glad you got a diagnosis. I looked it up and folliculitis is inflamed hair follicles caused by bacteria of fungus. This may be good news as I assume it will be more treatable than GD. If is determined to be fungus related you should look into permanent ways to get rid of fungus as topicals may not go beneath the skin. Yeast is fungus. You mentioned many of us have multiple skin diseases at the same time. I have eczema but I also had chronic issues inside my skin without rashes. I went on an anti inflammation diet two years ago which is targeted at killing off the yeast which resides in our intestines. Good news is it worked to stop my inside skin burning and itching. I have had such success I will stay on this diets maintenance plan for life.
Cilantro helps almost 50% of us with GD, but if it doesn't help I don't know of anything else that will put it in remission other than time. I'd appreciate you updating us on your folliculitis treatment plan and sharing your results.

Jump to this post

Yes now my research will go into bacteria or fungus. Derm thought bacteria not fungus. But, I have rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp so not ruling out fungus just bc Derm said so. I thought I had Grover’s for over a year bc of last Derm.

Hope4cure- I know anti-biotics are prescribed for Rosacea. Here's a disgusting new theory. It is caused by the bacteria deposited by the Demodex mite mite that lives on our faces. When they die they deposit bacteria. Rosacea patients have 10 times the amount of these mites living on their faces than those without Rosacea. Yet haven't read anything about these mites causing folliculitis So smart to not assume one derm knows it all . I made that mistake for over a decade. Do you have the option of seeing several derms? I do that and often one is more helpful about one of my conditions and another is helpful about a different one.

@gardeningjunkie

Hope4cure- I know anti-biotics are prescribed for Rosacea. Here's a disgusting new theory. It is caused by the bacteria deposited by the Demodex mite mite that lives on our faces. When they die they deposit bacteria. Rosacea patients have 10 times the amount of these mites living on their faces than those without Rosacea. Yet haven't read anything about these mites causing folliculitis So smart to not assume one derm knows it all . I made that mistake for over a decade. Do you have the option of seeing several derms? I do that and often one is more helpful about one of my conditions and another is helpful about a different one.

Jump to this post

I seem to have the rosacea under control with metronidazole gel. Only have to use a tiny bit on chin and corners of nose only. Yes when I think of the mites living on my skin I get really grossed out. But, we all have it, some more than others and some are irritated by what they do. I have not found any info that is causes Folliculitis either. I do have the options to explore Dermatologists thankfully. I have yet found one that is really good. I will have to explore that more. Gone through many but find if they are in the same office they use all the same philosophies. I’ve been through 2 medical groups. Should have never listen to the one that said it was Grover’s and that I didn’t need a biopsy that she’s seen it many times. My thoughts are if the rosacea is fungal and the dermatitis on my scalp is yeast related why would the Folliculitis be bacterial? I’ll have to continue to be my own advocate😕

I read Folliculitis can be either fungal or bacterial. Could it be both? Yes good derms are hard to find. I now know about as much as my doctors know and perhaps more about my types of eczema. Yet I focus my study on my types. A good derm has to study hundreds of skin diseases and with some being less common than others it must be challenging to sort them out. Doctors have made mistakes about my skin issues. For almost a year my derm was treating my GD as a form I had for over about 15 years, Allergic Contact Dermatitis. A new derm in a different office took one look and identified it as GD. That's when I learned how common it is for those of us with skin disease to collect multiple types as we age. Yet his same derm identified my Perioral Eczema as Rosacea. She gave me anti-biotics and and the gel you mentioned. This treatment did not help. I used dermnetnz. org and figured out it was classic Perioral and steroids fuel this type. I had been using a nasal steroid which probably caused it and gave that up and no more Perioral, yet even after discontinuing the nasal steroid it took a month to get clear. This is an embarrassing eczema because there is no way to hide the red rash ring around your mouth. I told the derm what I believed it was Perioral and didn't think it was Rosacea and her only comment was, "Oh, yeah looks like Perioral, but that I still could have Roseace". Well it's been almost 2 years and no sign of Rosacea.

@gardeningjunkie

I read Folliculitis can be either fungal or bacterial. Could it be both? Yes good derms are hard to find. I now know about as much as my doctors know and perhaps more about my types of eczema. Yet I focus my study on my types. A good derm has to study hundreds of skin diseases and with some being less common than others it must be challenging to sort them out. Doctors have made mistakes about my skin issues. For almost a year my derm was treating my GD as a form I had for over about 15 years, Allergic Contact Dermatitis. A new derm in a different office took one look and identified it as GD. That's when I learned how common it is for those of us with skin disease to collect multiple types as we age. Yet his same derm identified my Perioral Eczema as Rosacea. She gave me anti-biotics and and the gel you mentioned. This treatment did not help. I used dermnetnz. org and figured out it was classic Perioral and steroids fuel this type. I had been using a nasal steroid which probably caused it and gave that up and no more Perioral, yet even after discontinuing the nasal steroid it took a month to get clear. This is an embarrassing eczema because there is no way to hide the red rash ring around your mouth. I told the derm what I believed it was Perioral and didn't think it was Rosacea and her only comment was, "Oh, yeah looks like Perioral, but that I still could have Roseace". Well it's been almost 2 years and no sign of Rosacea.

Jump to this post

Wow. Well, I’ll have to look up some of what you said. I know I do break out if I don’t use the rosacea medicine which is basically a fungicide. I’ve learned with all my itchies to stay away from steroids which is the first thing a Derm wants to prescribe. I think that’s what really escalated my scalp issues. Never again. But stay away from them entirely. I’m too sensitive to it and so is my skin. I will look into your question if it can be bacterial and fungal. Jeez, I hope not. That sounds like a hard fix. I’m already nervous about the topical antibiotic the Derm prescribed. I will try it in a small area first. Thankfully I don’t have to take an oral one.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.