Grover's Disease: What works to help find relief?

Posted by 43219876x @43219876x, Sep 23, 2016

I have been diagnosed with Grover's disease under my breasts. I had a biopsy for diagnosis. Tried topical ointment with no really good results. Any ideas?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Skin Health Support Group.

@daly

I initially used steroids and then a demonologist suggested neotigason -Acitretin and that with cilantro have been a winner , when necessary and sparingly i use Eleuphrat cream on an itchy spot

Jump to this post

I never heard of the treatments you are using, but thanks for sharing your treatments because so few of us get relief from prescription meds for GD. If I become symptomatic again I will look up the products you mention to learn more about them. Thanks.

@gardeningjunkie

I never heard of the treatments you are using, but thanks for sharing your treatments because so few of us get relief from prescription meds for GD. If I become symptomatic again I will look up the products you mention to learn more about them. Thanks.

Jump to this post

Acitretin is an oral retinoid (vitamin A derivative). A brand name is Soriatane. It is used for treating severe skin conditions like psoriasis but is not gentle and definitely not something to be taken lightly as it has side effects and interactions that need to be monitored.

@rhubarby2

I was recently just diagnosed... well let’s say it came back with two possibilities from my biopsy. Grovers of DH (celiac). Though celiac runs in my family but DH doesn’t. I don’t eat a Hugh gluten diet but my dermatologist thinks it is DH verses grovers. My rash started under one breast over the summer (1.5 years ago) and I was put on steroids. When I came off the steroids it flared up and spread to my stomach, back, head, elbows, and legs Bikini line is best to describe in and continues to move down my legs. The first biopsy I had last year said I had eczema. I have been diagnosed with autoimmune diseases of MCTD and Sjögren’s. I have a tub of steroid cream and not working... she is putting me on dapsone and if it works then it is really DH but I would love to hear more about the cilantro people are mentioning. How much and often? What do you mix it with or eat it plan? How long until you saw improvement? I am desperate to find relief.

Jump to this post

I have had GD for over a year now. Oral steroids did work for me, but not something you should take for any length of time. I've been drinking the Cilantro smoothies for about a year. They seem to limit my outbreaks. The itching and rashes are not nearly as bad as they were before I started to drink them regularly. I drink them every day. I buy several bunches of Cilantro, cut off the very bottoms as they are generally dirty, wash them thoroughly, split each bunch in half, put them in plastic bags and freeze them. I generally blend them with some juice, yogurt, honey and some fruit. I blend them really well, and the cilantro flavor really disappears. I also put in two crushed tablets of Lysine, for the itching, as well. The colder, the better. Experimentation will eventually lead you to a palatable drink. I hope this is of value to you. I read this site every day as the information here is better than any than what you'll hear from most doctors. Good luck.

@justmemyself

Acitretin is an oral retinoid (vitamin A derivative). A brand name is Soriatane. It is used for treating severe skin conditions like psoriasis but is not gentle and definitely not something to be taken lightly as it has side effects and interactions that need to be monitored.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the explanation. When symptomatic I used the prescription Calcipotriene Cream. It's a synthetic vitamin D3 used for psoriasis which slows the growth of cells down. Thank goodness I had insurance; it was expensive. I used it out of desperation even though I don't think it made any difference. I thought if my rash is this bad using it maybe it would be worse if I quit using it.

@gardeningjunkie

You'll get over pinching your nose. Our tastes will adjust some. I gagged on cooked carrots as a child and love them now, yep, I had to eat them to leave the table. Like frogger I add yogurt, but love the probiotic whole milk plain to which I add a bit of Stevia (the only sweetener allowed on my anti-inflammation diet. I avoid all processed sugar which many flavored yogurts add. Banana does help moe then any other fruit to balance the flavor somewhat. I peel bananas, slice into 2 inch pieces, freeze and put about 3-4 pieces in the smoothie. They don't turn black. Frozen banana takes the place of ice and find like nodgabnoj a smoothie of any type is better cold.

Jump to this post

Tastes Good Now. I take it STRAIGHT!
Now that I have Blender and Juicer, I drink Broccoli; for Colon Health, Carrots ;A for my skin. So much easier than cooking. and more uniform quantity.
A new note about my neuropathy. I visited dermatologist (after original blister breakout) and used Triamcinolone cream 0.1% for 2-1/2 weeks. It cleared blisters and stopped itching. I went for a followup visit with 2 comlaints; Pins and needles here and there (reminded me of back injury I had years ago), and Red Itchy hands. The Derm said i have Neuropathy (from vertebra ?)
I asked why did this happen right now (after 2-1/2 weeks steroid) He said it was my age. Sounded fishy to me. Too coincidental with steroid use. So, what do you guys know about getting Neuropathy?

I know little about neuropathy except from family members and a friend who tell of lack of feeling, numbness, tingling and in one case horrible sores which won't heal. These persons are diabetic.
You are correct in assuming you may be having a reaction after stopping steroids' which is well documented. Yet in most cases I read about the use of steroids was for a longer period of time than 2 1/2 weeks to get RSS.
I can't remember if you mentioned if you considered Allergic Contact Dermatitis, ACD, which unless you have Dysidrotic Eczema, ACD is the most common reason for hand eczema. I have several forms of eczema GD and ACD. This is not unusual for those of us with eczema. Did you get the 5 Day Extended Patch Test for ACD to determine if you have ACD. Steroids' helped put my ACD hand eczema in remission only to return because I was still exposing myself to allergens. Steroids are only a treatment and once discontinued and you are still in contact with allergens the symptom's will reappear.

@grovercleveland

Tastes Good Now. I take it STRAIGHT!
Now that I have Blender and Juicer, I drink Broccoli; for Colon Health, Carrots ;A for my skin. So much easier than cooking. and more uniform quantity.
A new note about my neuropathy. I visited dermatologist (after original blister breakout) and used Triamcinolone cream 0.1% for 2-1/2 weeks. It cleared blisters and stopped itching. I went for a followup visit with 2 comlaints; Pins and needles here and there (reminded me of back injury I had years ago), and Red Itchy hands. The Derm said i have Neuropathy (from vertebra ?)
I asked why did this happen right now (after 2-1/2 weeks steroid) He said it was my age. Sounded fishy to me. Too coincidental with steroid use. So, what do you guys know about getting Neuropathy?

Jump to this post

@grovercleveland, you may be interested in joining the discussions in the Neuropathy group here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/neuropathy/

@colleenyoung

@grovercleveland, you may be interested in joining the discussions in the Neuropathy group here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/neuropathy/

Jump to this post

Thanks., My spontaneous short lived "itch" more like a fly landing on me jumping from one place to another. Nothing terrible. Gabapenten was prescribed. 300 mg day. My A1C was 5.6 and sugar this AM was 113, probably less if I stopped eating late night.

@gardeningjunkie

Glad to learn that your doctor is aware that cilantro is helping. I sure wish an MD had shared this information with me, even if only about 45% of us are helped by cilantro, that's a huge percentage.

Jump to this post

Hi , I first learned of Cilantro therapy from you on this page. I began about three weeks ago and am seeing very good results and wanted to thank you. I believe mine is a relatively light case (Chest and stomach ) with no itching. What was a mean red rash is now flesh tone and almost gone. The odd thing is I do better covering it with Zinc Oxide than the steroid gel prescribed by the Doctor. Can you tell me if adding spinach (For general health) to my Smoothie would affect the effectiveness of the Cilantro ?

@frogger

Took every day for 7 months. But nothing except half a stalk/bunch of cilantro, one Yoplai yogurt container, and orange juice. Blended and drank. Nothing else was needed. Tasted good. I kept it simple and easy. That worked. and kept Grover’s at bay.

Jump to this post

Thanks !

Please sign in or register to post a reply.