Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@gingerw

@parus I love it! Does working on projects like this, besides creating a beautiful piece, help the "clutteredness" of your brain, and translate into more ordered thinking? Truly I am curious. While cleaning and organizing my workspace, I come up with creative ideas for projects, and vice versa. Your son's project sounds great. I moved in here, to a guy who already had this "project room" set up for him. We now have it split for two; I have commandeered the work bench. Storage bins of fabric are underneath, sorted by color, novelty and southwest. [Six additional bins in garage] The yarn is relegated to garage, sorted by weight, solid or multi. I have a little sign that states "a tidy workspace is a sign of creative idleness". Love that saying!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw I do agree with neatness is a sign of idleness. Mine looks cluttered when I am starting a new piece. For now I am only doing pencil and pen/ ink so no watercolor plates and brushes in the mix. It does help declutter my brain to do intricate work. I have tried to work looser and have not succeeded. I ceased trying. I live in 600 sq. ft so it is cozy. I have things arranged so there is as much open floor space as possible. It works and I could no longer care for a house and yard. Not assisted living but mostly a senior community. I reside mostly in my woman’s cave where I have lots of floor lamps and thing are filled with light. Also have lots of houseplants. I have always wanted lots of light and plants. Appreciate your input. Be creative!!

@parus After having a house then a mobile home I too am comfortable in my apt. in senior community You can be social if you want but I like to putter in my own home now.

Today I am grateful to hear the heater going off so early in the morning. It is in the 30s in the neighborhood here which is cold from California in this area. The cats are cuddled into fleeces except the younger one has decided that my arms are a pretty good place to lay for a few minutes. We have come up with a compromise for the position most comfortable for her given only three legs and a healing stump where the fourth one is missing. Thank you to all Mayo Connect members who post and share.
Ginger

@gingerw
You need to put three speeds pic in the avatar. 32 up here.
Jake

@gingerw

Today I am grateful to hear the heater going off so early in the morning. It is in the 30s in the neighborhood here which is cold from California in this area. The cats are cuddled into fleeces except the younger one has decided that my arms are a pretty good place to lay for a few minutes. We have come up with a compromise for the position most comfortable for her given only three legs and a healing stump where the fourth one is missing. Thank you to all Mayo Connect members who post and share.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Cats sound comfy and warm against Mom,s arm 39 here brrr

I'm just jumping on here for a minute tonight to explain my long absence. I had a bad reaction to one of the meds I was taking after my knee surgery. Ended up in the ER Monday night. Fortunately, I think they now have my meds adjusted and I'm on the road to recovery, but I'm still feeling shaky and exhausted. It's been a difficult weekend and week start! So today I'm grateful that my nausea seems to be over, I have a little appetite and my pain meds for my knee are working! I'm on the mend and tomorrow I think I'll start our new recipe thread. Be thinking of items you want to contribute. More later...

@debbraw

I'm just jumping on here for a minute tonight to explain my long absence. I had a bad reaction to one of the meds I was taking after my knee surgery. Ended up in the ER Monday night. Fortunately, I think they now have my meds adjusted and I'm on the road to recovery, but I'm still feeling shaky and exhausted. It's been a difficult weekend and week start! So today I'm grateful that my nausea seems to be over, I have a little appetite and my pain meds for my knee are working! I'm on the mend and tomorrow I think I'll start our new recipe thread. Be thinking of items you want to contribute. More later...

Jump to this post

@debbraw Glad to hear you are on the backside of the problem, sorry to hear it was so dramatic. Rest and feel better. We're not going anywhere!
Ginger

@debbraw

Jump to this post

@debbraw I’m so glad your better! Nothing like a bad drug reaction! I’ll be anxious to read about your new thread! Speaking of thread—I’m working on a new quilt (my first in 1 1/2 years) and all the threads, and bits of fabric and tissue paper are sticking to my clothes! I’m finding them everywhere! Keep getting well!

@becsbuddy

@debbraw I’m so glad your better! Nothing like a bad drug reaction! I’ll be anxious to read about your new thread! Speaking of thread—I’m working on a new quilt (my first in 1 1/2 years) and all the threads, and bits of fabric and tissue paper are sticking to my clothes! I’m finding them everywhere! Keep getting well!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy Congratulations on getting back to some sewing. The materials are sticking to you because they missed you-hugs from the materials. 🙂

Please sign in or register to post a reply.