Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

The man I was married to was the same. He ways diabetic and managing it on his own. He died suddenly in 2014 never knowing his one and only grandson. Best anyone can figure it was his heart. Seeing the guilt his adult children have had to deal with because of his male stubbornness has been hard to watch. I am the only family in my grandson’s life. Thankful to be a part and doing what I can to create happy memories.

@parus- No one could ask for anymore! yeah you!

@gailb

Thanks everyone for your support. I'll respond more to each of you later. Right now Trump is declaring a National Emergency on the news! And, I have 2 appointments this morning. One for a mammogram and one for a DexaScan.

Jump to this post

@gailb Good luck with both . I sent my ear Dr. a note last night about seeing him sooner then the appointment I have to find out about my balance,ear problem . Always thinking of you and hopeing for the best .

@parus

The man I was married to was the same. He ways diabetic and managing it on his own. He died suddenly in 2014 never knowing his one and only grandson. Best anyone can figure it was his heart. Seeing the guilt his adult children have had to deal with because of his male stubbornness has been hard to watch. I am the only family in my grandson’s life. Thankful to be a part and doing what I can to create happy memories.

Jump to this post

@parus It is special to be a Grandma . I'm so glad I made the move to be here for my grandson. He is 10 now and will be playing his drums in the school play . On u tube his Mom put him playing a drum solo when we had our talent show after Thanksgiving dinner I'm so proud of him I know you are to of yours

@gailb

Thanks everyone for your support. I'll respond more to each of you later. Right now Trump is declaring a National Emergency on the news! And, I have 2 appointments this morning. One for a mammogram and one for a DexaScan.

Jump to this post

@gailb I'm probably overdue for a bone scan. I had osteopenia when I had the last one, and I hope it has not advanced. I'm very leery of the drugs they prescribe for osteoporosis.
JK

@contentandwell- Me too. I can't take pills and I wont go near the shots. I'll be interested in this year's bone scan. I had osteoporosis with mine.

I hope all turns out well for you today,@gailb

@parus

Jump to this post

No doubt that you are providing your grandson with some great experiences, @parus!

@contentandwell

@gailb I'm probably overdue for a bone scan. I had osteopenia when I had the last one, and I hope it has not advanced. I'm very leery of the drugs they prescribe for osteoporosis.
JK

Jump to this post

@gailb Hi I've had Osteopenia for 5 yrs it hasn't gone into Osteoporosis I have ate healthy taken my bone Vitamins used some weights and other chair exercises JK I push into the wall for weights My Dexa scan has always been good showing no bone loss keeping fingers crossed

My bone scan showed me at -2.5 bone loss, which I think is the same my last scan was 3 years ago. They wanted me to get an infusion of Reclast and I said "no." When they check again in 2 years, if I'm worse I'll consider getting an infusion. I know two women who have had jaw deterioration and my mother-in-law broke her thigh after taking Fosamax, so no is my answer right now.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.