Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@lioness
No no no, good try but the rules state you do the cooking.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 My arms won't reach that far

@jakedduck1

@lioness If you expect to win this contest you better throw some meat in the mix. I’m a carnivore. I need meat to keep my hemoglobin up so I can donate platelets etc.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Instead of spinach which will give you iron also you can add meat I'm vegetarian

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Instead of spinach which will give you iron also you can add meat I'm vegetarian

Jump to this post

@lioness
I love Spinach especially spinich salad. Are you going to make one to go along with OUR sauerkraut and pork for New Years.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@parus
Yeah, yeah I know. Not sure if I’ll make it through the day. Good thing my burial arrangements are taken care of! All the junk is on the counter, which was a grievous process in itself. I’d rather be a prisoner in the Tower of London subjected to every tourture device known than be attempting to c@•#, if that’s what one would call what I do. I can choke down what I make but that’s not to say it will stay down. It’s a sad sad day in Central California. Thank goodness for the wind and rain, maybe the power will go out. Keep your fingers crossed kids!!!
Oh the pain of it all,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Forget the work. You can purchase lentil soup in a can. I am glad to hear your final arrangements are taken care of. Best to stay with non- perishables at this stage. From now on buy everything in cans so your domain will be quicker and easier for the one disposing of what you will no longer be needing. All of your procrastinating is torture enough. Go with lots of salt, MSG and ingredients from undisclosed locations. You will surely perish from all the whining. Truth be told you likely don’t have a large enough pan and you can’t admit it. 😉

@gingerw

Good morning, all. It is almost 5:30 in the morning here. Yes I get up super early and have done that ever since I was a child. I love the mornings. We are anticipating some heavy rains in the next few days which pales in comparison to the super cold in storms in the East but still can wreak havoc here in California. Thankfully this weekend I don't have any big plans. Looking forward to playing with Zentangle, crochet and some sewing. Thank you for all being around this saver table I am grateful to all of you!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw
Hope your not in any danger of mud slides.
Jake

@jakedduck1 Malibu is closest to me The DOG always is closed for mudslides in that area

@gingerw How is rain where you live? Heavy here and blowing from the south last year had rain come in apt had to get maintenance bring up there wet vac so far so good this time

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Malibu is closest to me The DOG always is closed for mudslides in that area

Jump to this post

Ok, @lioness, what does DOG mean?

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
Hope your not in any danger of mud slides.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 @lioness No danger of mudslides where I am this year. When I moved here last July, it was a relief to realize that. Before that, almost every storm was at least flooding. We have had bouts of hard rain and wind since about 5AM. Didn't stop us - we went out for breakfast and did errands. Lots of water on the roads. Wise man that he is, husband didn't "back seat drive", as he was told a while ago that I have no problem stopping the car anywhere/ anytime and asking him to get out. If he doesn't like my driving, then he can say we're taking his vehicle. In for rest of the day, cuppa hot tea coming soon. Lots of accidents on the roads.
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.