Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

If you don't hear from me after tomorrow I may not have survived the ordeal I'm seriously considering undertaking. I was looking over some lentil recipes and saw one I might try. It's a bit involved and it scared me off at first but I went back to it and want to try it. If I make it through ok and I post don't be surprised if I'm a little out of sorts, that's why. Just ignore me or tell me to shit up. Just a warning. Anyway, here is the recipe. What do you think? Should I go for it or is it too much to tackle.

ingredients
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cup brown lentils
3/4 cup long-grain brown rice
3 cups vegetable broth
1 can (15-ounce) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (4-ounce) diced green chilies
1 tablespoon taco or other Southwestern seasoning blend
2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups shredded cheese (Monterey Jack, Pepperjack or white Cheddar), divided
Get Ingredients Powered by Chicory
directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine all ingredients, except the cheese, in a deep 8 x 8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and mix well. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 1/2 hours, stirring once while the mixture is baking.

Remove the foil, stir in half the cheese and place the remaining cheese over the top.

Return to oven (uncovered) and bake until cheese has melted, approximately 20 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.

Guess I can't use the brown minute rice?
I'll get the onion already chopped and the cheese grated. Can you get chopped garlic and bell pepper?

Thanks kids,
Jake

Jump to this post

This sounds great, Jake!

@contentandwell

@hopeful33250 Teresa, you folks living with the cold in the Midwest are surely not wimps. I think I would avoid leaving the house as much as possible. Seriously, those temperatures out there are ridiculous.
JK

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 @parus Since we had our camp Howard bought Kerosene heater when it was cold we used it in house and turned our gas furnace down I hope this severely cold spell leaves soon for you

@jakedduck1

@hopeful33250 @parus
I’m starting to become attached to the little fellas. The one on the far left side is quite looksome, about the 5th or 6th one from the top under the round white one. Looks like he’s got a green hat on. A definite cutie. Personally, I wouldn’t be able to cook them. I hope they don’t suffer.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 you are funny that's my laugh for the day My lasagna was good

@hopeful33250

@jakedduck1
😊🎈congratulations on making it through the grocery store.

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250
Well truth be told I only made it down 2 aisles. Have to go back in the morning. It may be a harrowing experience too, it may only be 55-60 degrees.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@hopeful33250
Well truth be told I only made it down 2 aisles. Have to go back in the morning. It may be a harrowing experience too, it may only be 55-60 degrees.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 How did you survive the thunder ,lightning today ?

@karen00

@merpreb Hi Merry, just wanted to tell you about my mood today. It’s easy to confuse with depression, but I believe it’s anger. I don’t know where my brother and I will be living in a couple of months. He’s been out of work. This no money stuff is quite scary. I am struggling to hold it together. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to chime in and “pretend” that all is ok with me! Thanks for reading this!.....Karen

Jump to this post

@karen00 oh my goodness, Karen. I am sure your emotions are running the gamut. I am so sorry about what you are dealing with. I too will remember you in my prayers. Never feel bad about sharing your worries.
Hopefully your brother will find some employment. He really is not that old, employers are realizing the value of older, more experienced employees much more from what I hear. I presume he had some skills from a prior job. Are you able to work at all? Between the both of you, even if you or he needs to accept a lesser job, hopefully you will be able to pull through this.
We care.
JK

@lioness

@jakedduck1 you are funny that's my laugh for the day My lasagna was good

Jump to this post

@lioness
I love lasagna but seldom make it. Not suppose to have salt and very little cheese. Enjoy
Jake

@merpreb

Jake- Only if you are depressed Jake. I have a great recipe for lentils if you will make it. They last for a long long time so don't worry about not using them.

Jump to this post

@merpreb
Is it an easy recipe? I mean easy for me not you.
Jake

@karen00

Hi @merpreb, Merry, just keep supporting me! That’s what you can do! There have been so many things stressing me and I don’t know how to go on. It’s been an especially bad year and a half. With financial problems and illness (I was diagnosed with heart failure-but the drs say it’s not the bad kind and I had a clot in my lungs plus I’m fighting extreme lymphedema in my legs plus my fibro is on a warpath with me). I’m sure the stress is contributing to my physical problems but there’s nothing I can do about it. Anyway, thanks so very much for your kind words!

Jump to this post

@karen00- I will of course continue to support you! Can you try making a list of priorities? I would think that it would be to find a new home. Then go from there. And unless you have an emergency, stick to that list. Take it one action at a time. You can do this and it will help you calm down because you will be taking back control of a seemingly uncontrollable situation. There are other great suggestions here.

@contentandwell

@hopeful33250 Teresa, you folks living with the cold in the Midwest are surely not wimps. I think I would avoid leaving the house as much as possible. Seriously, those temperatures out there are ridiculous.
JK

Jump to this post

JK- Right! 50-60 below is unsustainable! Thank goodness it only last a few days.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.