Father's Recurrence After 4 Years
Thank you for the opportunity to join this group. I'm here because we found out last month that my father has had a recurrence after 4 years. My heart goes out to each of you no matter where you're at in your or your loved one's journey with PC.
My Dad, now 71 yo, received a Stage 2b pancreatic adenocarcinoma dx in June 2016. Whipple at UCSF (Dr. Nakakura) in August 2016, clean margins, 3 of 21 lymph nodes positive followed by Gemzar/Xeloda and Radiation. He was also successfully treated for prostate cancer.
NED until confirmed recurrence in surgical site last month via endoscopic biopsy and scan, after approx 4 years of clear scans(which we know is a miracle). MD said no lymph nodes detected, growth is small in size. Port being inserted tomorrow in preparation for 12 weeks Folfirinox.
I've got so many questions right now…
I apologize as I'm struggling to clearly articulate my concerns here…I know that nobody can predict the future…My mind is racing…is this the last holiday season with my Dad? Will he be with us in 1, 2, 5, 10 years…
Would appreciate any and all real-life experiences and support with any of the following questions…
1) Is there anyone out there who has had a long-term NED following a similar recurrence?
2) Does it even matter that the recurrence is small in size and that there is no lymph node involvement this time?
3) Is it realistic to have a single recurrence, or have the odds changed now and to expect that recurrences will become part of his life now?
4) Is there such a thing as maintenance chemo?
5) Advice for surviving Folfirinox? Preventative measures to manage and make the process of side effect management easier?
6) Is anyone familiar with Nanoknife for treating a recurrenc