COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

After receiving the new bivalent COVID booster, did you definitely experience a significant worsening of your pre-existing SFN?

@danye1

After receiving the new bivalent COVID booster, did you definitely experience a significant worsening of your pre-existing SFN?

Jump to this post

Hello @danye1. I notice you are interested in connecting with members who can share their experiences with the COVID booster with regard to SFN. For that reason, you will notice that I have moved your post into an existing discussion on Covid Vaccines and Neuropathy, which you can find here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/covid-vaccines-and-neuropathy/

Have you had the bivalent COVID booster yourself or are you considering it?

@danye1

Jump to this post

I have had the flu shot and then the Moderna Omicron booster a few days later and have not noticed any significant worsening of my SFN. Its been about a week now.That being said, I think the 4th Pfizer booster is what triggered my SNF back in 1/2022.

@kathleen123

I have (small fiber) non-length dependent neuropathy. I had my first Pfizer Covid-19 vaccination 2 1/2 weeks ago. It exacerbated my neuropathy symptoms. I’m scheduled for my 2nd shot on Wednesday but I don’t know whether to get it since the 2nd shot is much more likely than the first to have significant adverse effects. I called Pfizer and they claim that Covid-19 vaccination is not related to any neurological side effects although I have read elsewhere it can exacerbate PN. My internist says there is just no data to know whether the 2nd shot is likely to make my symptoms worse.

Jump to this post

I had a similar experience. I had my first two shots with no particular side effects, and was working a job on my feet on concrete several hours a day, so I attributed my burning feet and numbness in feet and then in hands to my work. After my booster shot (All Moderna) I was violently sick to my stomach after 10 hours, and my entire legs were reververating, numb, etc. I have hald off getting the recommended 2nd bivalent booster, although it has now been a year since my last one. My feet, legs to my knees and my hands and face are feeling hot, stiff, numb and sometimes electrical shock type feelings. My doctor believes it may be small fiber non-length dependent neuropathy. I want to protect myself against COVID but I am very apprehensive that the moderna may in fact have caused or contributed to my worsening symptoms.

@johnbishop

Hello @kathleen123, Welcome to Connect. I'm really sorry to hear that your first Pfizer COVID vaccine made your neuropathy symptoms worse. I'm scheduled for my 2nd dose Feb 26th. I don't think anyone can answer your question about the side effects and I agree with your internist that there just is not enough data to know. The CDC does have some information but I think it's still too early.

Local Reactions, Systemic Reactions, Adverse Events, and Serious Adverse Events: Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine:
- https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/reactogenicity.html

My personal reason for getting the vaccine and the second one also is that which would be worse - getting COVID or having my neuropathy flare which may not be desirable but the lesser of two evils (IMHO). You might find the following Q&A helpful.

Mayo Clinic Q and A: Neurologic function and COVID-19: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-neurologic-function-and-covid-19/

Jump to this post

Hi. I also am debating whether or not to get the 2nd booster, as it appears my SRSN either began or was exaserbated by the COVID 19 vaccines. I had moderna for 3 shots.
You mention that your symptoms may "flare" after a vaccine. That indicates that they also abate. Is that your experience? I am more willing to have the bivalent if it may not cause permanent damage. So far my symptoms have advanced on the whole, with the odd day of some relief, but not what I would call a flare. I am hopeful though!

@ssibc

Hi. I also am debating whether or not to get the 2nd booster, as it appears my SRSN either began or was exaserbated by the COVID 19 vaccines. I had moderna for 3 shots.
You mention that your symptoms may "flare" after a vaccine. That indicates that they also abate. Is that your experience? I am more willing to have the bivalent if it may not cause permanent damage. So far my symptoms have advanced on the whole, with the odd day of some relief, but not what I would call a flare. I am hopeful though!

Jump to this post

Hi @ssibc, Welcome to Connect. My experience with getting the vaccines and the booster is it didn't make a difference either way for my neuropathy - didn't make it worse and didn't make it better. I'm not sure there have been any clinical studies to draw any conclusions. It's good to be hopeful!

Did you report your adverse side effects to Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System?
-- https://vaers.hhs.gov/

@ruf2

Hi bybee,

Could you tell me what symptoms you have when you encounter heat or the sun? I have developed hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) and wondered if there was a link with the vaccines.

Jump to this post

I have SFN and also have developed terrible sweating. I have had heat intolerance off and on for some time, but I think this did become worse after vaccine. I also have fatigue (had it immediately after vaccine) and now have it more and more. Is there any data or articles about this side effect from the vaccine.

@detc

Is there any risk in having too many Covid antibodies? Had a Moderna booster at the end of October, 2021. Within 2 months, I developed neuropathy, and was diagnosed with vaccine induced neuropathy. Now scheduled for Evusheld in early September. Just read about severe Covid cases after an overproduction of autoantibodies after infection. Are autoantibodies completely different from vaccine produced antibodies and monoclonal antibodies? I would really appreciate professional advice on this matter.
Thank you.

Jump to this post

Those of us here who are not physicians really can't comment on this one, but this is a great question for your doctor.

That said, I had two Moderna shots (I will NOT get the booster). Soon after the Moderna shots, I quickly developed bilateral peripheral neuropathy to the point I could only walk using a walker. I have since progressed to a cane, but every single step feels like I am on fire from the inside out. It is excruciating.

I would not wish this on my worst enemy (not that I have any, but you know what I mean).

I am curious who diagnosed you with vaccine-induced neuropathy. My neurologist shrugged his shoulders when I mentioned the vaccines. He just said, "Hmmm, maybe...?" (shrug).

@txsongbird

Those of us here who are not physicians really can't comment on this one, but this is a great question for your doctor.

That said, I had two Moderna shots (I will NOT get the booster). Soon after the Moderna shots, I quickly developed bilateral peripheral neuropathy to the point I could only walk using a walker. I have since progressed to a cane, but every single step feels like I am on fire from the inside out. It is excruciating.

I would not wish this on my worst enemy (not that I have any, but you know what I mean).

I am curious who diagnosed you with vaccine-induced neuropathy. My neurologist shrugged his shoulders when I mentioned the vaccines. He just said, "Hmmm, maybe...?" (shrug).

Jump to this post

P.S. - I found your doctor's diagnosis encouraging. I wish I could get someone here to acknowledge it.

@txsongbird

Jump to this post

I’m so sorry to hear about the severity of your neuropathy. I also presented with bilateral neuropathy after my first Moderna booster. I was extremely worried about what was happening to me. I had the great fortune of finding a wonderful neurologist in Cleveland who had seen several patients with the same problem after vaccination. Hearing that made me feel less alone. She could only say that there was “high suspicion” of vaccine induced neuropathy. Obviously, it can’t be proven. She was open to the possibility especially after seeing a photo of my arm after my first shot. I had a rash on almost the whole upper part of my arm a week post shot. She prescribed Gabapentin to help with the discomfort and for me, it was effective. The other thing that she told me was that she thought that this type of neuropathy could possibly heal. Regeneration is very slow when it does happen. I am so thrilled to say that after 9 months, I am just now trying to completely stop the medication and am able to return to walking 3 miles a day and hiking. When this started, I could barely walk from the bedroom to the kitchen. Incredibly blessed and I hope this gives you and others in this situation some hopeful, positive thoughts. I wish you the best.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.