COVID vaccines and neuropathy

Posted by cue @cue, Feb 15, 2021

I am 85 with small fiber neuropathy that is getting worse. My neurologist thought it would be a good idea for me to wait with the covid vaccine and not be first in line to see how it affected other people with neuropathy. Probably because it is a new technology. Has anyone had a problem with neuropathy after receiving the vaccine? If so, which vaccine?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@dbeshears1

We need a big benefactor for sure, some big promoter to draw awareness to PN and help get more attention.

Jump to this post

It is just another "Plandemic" - a polemic screed comprised of selective and misleading reporting. With a British accent.

@dbeshears1

We need a big benefactor for sure, some big promoter to draw awareness to PN and help get more attention.

Jump to this post

I could not agree with you more. It is a lonely illness. I certainly feel isolated. Much more attention needs to be focused and more money into research. The pain and discomfort is something I have never known before.

@dlmdinia

I totally agree that's true. I read another article saying that conspiracists and anti-vaccers are false reporting there making that site pretty much irrelevant. However, there are many on this thread who believe every word. I guess I did not make it clear that the article I did read was an actual study, and the link I used was not it but mirrored the results to an extent. I once challenged someone who was using VAERS as proof, going so far as to say that I acknowledged that the poster may have truly been affected as stated, but that many self-reported without any medical confirmation and I got viciously attacked. So now I try to be a bit more diplomatic. Again, the study I originally read was an actual medical study unrelated to VAERS. And if you read the entire article, it does have a disclaimer of sorts regarding VAERS. I personally would never see VAERS as anything but anecdotal. Last November I had knee pain issues that were crippling. I saw threads on Mayo Connect from people blaming the Covid shot, Prolia and Anastrazole. Thus I waited until my next booster (nope), my next Prolia shot (nope), and switched from Anastrozole to Letrozole. Within weeks I was almost pain-free. (Bingo, Anastrozole). I've had 2 Pfizer and both boosters. 5 days after the 2nd booster I vacationed at the home of relatives 4 states away staying 4 days. When we got back we were told one member had tested positive and was showing symptoms the day we left. Neither of us got sick, took precautions and tested 3 times. I have chemo induced neuropathy, and I most certainly will get the new variant booster in December.

Jump to this post

And if they hadn't had the shot, they'd be blaming power lines, vapor trails, and who knows what else.

@fisbo

I could not agree with you more. It is a lonely illness. I certainly feel isolated. Much more attention needs to be focused and more money into research. The pain and discomfort is something I have never known before.

Jump to this post

People don't believe/understand what they can't see. I stopped talking to one friend whose questions about my health were so insistent and so probing that it was clear she didn't believe I was in pain. I actually thought about printing out my medical records to show her. I also get "but you can walk (or in my case, hike) and yes, I can. The pain is in my torso. I don't walk on my torso. But both my feet are numb and it makes it very hard to do those things. I just push through it, slow way down, and try not to cry.

@seachel

You are correct. There is no spike protein in the vaccine itself. However, by injecting cells with a synthetic mRNA that encodes a viral spike protein, the Covid mRNA vaccines directs human cells to MAKE a viral spike protein. So your own body becomes a sort of spike protein 'factory'. That process should evoke an immune response without a person ever having been exposed to the viral material itself. It may be that, as I said before, those who experience an adverse reaction, are particularly spike sensitive? The vaccine/spike may also induce an autoimmune response in some and perhaps the body continues to produce the spike protein? There is mounting evidence that vaccine-induced long Covid is real (search "Antibodies mimicking the virus may explain long haul COVID-19, rare vaccine side effects"). 13 months after being vaccinated I checked my antibodies. I had no Covid exposure (IgM - neg), but my antibodies were still high (SARS-Cov-2 IgG - 5347 AU/mL ( < 50 ) H). The immediate response to the vaccine I experienced within 15mins (tremors) was, as you say, probably not due to the spike itself (too soon), but more likely a reaction to the polyethylene glycol. The other cascade of long-covid-like symptoms followed within days.

Jump to this post

I saw that hypothesis out of UCLA. It will be interesting to see if/how it is tested.

However, the article (not a paper; that distinction is important in a scientific journal), does not present evidence. It presents a hypothesis. Not for your benefit (it is clear you have this knowledge) but for the benefit of others, a hypothesis is a statement made to explain observations. For instance, I heard the rooster crow and then the sun came up. Those are observations. Then I say, "so the sun comes up because the rooster crows." That's the hypothesis. Then I test that hypothesis. The rooster goes to live on a farm far, far away where he is happy playing in the fields. No rooster, no crowing, the sun still comes up. So I have falsified the hypothesis because I tested it and the results falsified my statement.

The article in NEJM is just that. It reports observations. Some people who were vaccinated have experienced allergic reactions, myocarditis, and immune-mediated thrombosis and thrombocytopenia. The hypothesis is that these conditions may have been mediated by what is called Ab2 antibodies (antibodies are part of the immune system).

The authors propose a test: It would therefore be prudent to fully characterize all antibody and T-cell responses to the virus and the vaccines, including Ab2 responses over time. Using huACE2 transgenic mice and crossing them with strains that are predisposed to autoimmunity or other human pathologic conditions can also provide important insights.

In other words, no evidence yet. They propose a way to find the evidence.

Food for thought - polyethylene glycol is being tested as a means to fuse axons to treat peripheral nerve and spinal cord injury. https://www.sciencehistory.org/distillations/magazine/chemical-hope

@cids

People don't believe/understand what they can't see. I stopped talking to one friend whose questions about my health were so insistent and so probing that it was clear she didn't believe I was in pain. I actually thought about printing out my medical records to show her. I also get "but you can walk (or in my case, hike) and yes, I can. The pain is in my torso. I don't walk on my torso. But both my feet are numb and it makes it very hard to do those things. I just push through it, slow way down, and try not to cry.

Jump to this post

Your so right. I feel like cryingbecause nobody understands. Not even the medics.

@cids

It is just another "Plandemic" - a polemic screed comprised of selective and misleading reporting. With a British accent.

Jump to this post

Your words are hurting people. My daughter is suffering from a vaccine injury. We have a family of health providers we are all vaccinated- but this Did and Does happen!!! Please let the injured speak for them selves toward their own experience.

No one is stopping anyone from speaking. I gave my opinion. You are free to give yours.

I did not say one word about your daughter or her condition.

I'm sorry that your daughter is suffering.

None of that has ANYTHING to do with my comments about that film. Had that film never been made, your daughter would still be suffering. My comments about that film have nothing to do with your daughter.

Vaccines do indeed have adverse effects. Fortunately for all of us, the incidence (with regard to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines( is extremely low and for most, the reactions are far less of a problem than is COVID.

Allow me to post the Community Guidelines https://connect.mayoclinic.org/blog/about-connect/tab/community-guidelines/

These Community Guidelines offer 12 short rules of conduct that help keep the Mayo Clinic Connect community safe, supportive, inclusive, and respectful.

I'd like to underline the guidelines 1 and 2 focusing on personal experiences, making claims and, above all, repect.

1. Be careful about giving out medical advice
- Sharing your own experience is fine, but don't tell other members what they should do.
- Experiences and information shared by members on the Mayo Clinic Connect are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
- Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the community. See the full Disclaimer.

Mayo Clinic provides high quality, expertly developed health information. Visit https://www.mayoclinic.org/

Medical tips or information may be removed if a member:
- Tells another member what to do
- Attempts to provide a diagnosis for another member
- Makes a medical statement that cannot be verified clearly as coming from their own personal experience
- States information as fact or makes a claim that is not properly referenced
- References information that is not evidence-based and/or does not come from a verified medical expert source.

2. Remain respectful at all times.
- Exercise tolerance and respect toward other participants whose views may differ from your own. - - Disagreements are fine, but mutual respect is a must.
- Realize that sarcasm and joking will often be misunderstood.
- Be inclusive. Not everyone shares the same religious or political beliefs. Don't impose your beliefs on others.
- Personal attacks against members or health care providers are not acceptable. Such posts will be removed.

If you have any questions or concerns, please send me an email using this form: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/contact-a-community-moderator/

Please sign in or register to post a reply.