My father-in-law, age 83, WAS a spry ole’ coot. He took a fall a week ago and hit his head, for which we promptly insisted he go to the ER to be checked out. While doing so, they discovered a 3.5 x 1.5 tumor in the occipital region of the brain, with 10-12 smaller “spots” on the brain. They knew he was a smoker, so decided to get a chest X-ray and sure enough, saw a region of the left lung with abnormalities. We transferred him from the small local hospital to the U of M for assessment, and were basically told to take him home to die. They set up hospice. That feels like giving up to us. So we are scheduled to visit Mayo on Monday morning, ever hopeful and trying to stay positive. We just couldn’t “throw in the towel” on Gramps, but I am scared that Mayo will tell us the same thing, and then what will we do? Should we be hopeful, or are we just kidding ourselves. We don’t want to put Gramps through biopsies, radiation, possible surgery and all of the fallout from that, if the end result is the same… go home to die. But we don’t want to not do something, if there is something to be done, that will give him more time with family and friends. He isn’t ready to die yet… he is ready to fight. We hope we have made the right choice in kicking Hospice to the curb, and scheduling that appointment at Mayo. I sure would appreciate any feedback that someone may wish to share. Gramps had his 83rd birthday yesterday. It wasn’t a very Happy one, this time.
Liked by Scott, Volunteer Mentor