Aromatase Inhibitors: Did you decide to go on them or not?

Posted by nanato6 @nanato6, Oct 12, 2018

Nanaloves: I’m about to start arimidex and just feel that the contraindications , bone issues etc. are overwhelming. I’m 70 years old, dodged a bullet I feel with zero stage DCIS but the follow up is pretty much no different then if it was more aggressive. I’ve just done 33 treatments of radiation and now they advise arimidex as a preventative. I’m not sure with the beginnings of arthritis and lower back. sensitivity already that I should take it. Anyone not take it and not have a recurrence within the 5 years.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@dick61

You are absolutely correct. That discrepancy is frightening. Go for that second opinion and good luck!

Jump to this post

Rene, Thank you for your response. I hope you will keep me posted. I am seeing my PCP next week and I will tell her I want this test and to see a cardiologist before I do anything. Please keep me posted on what you find out and i will do the same. Best, Elinor

@trixie999

Rene, Thank you for your response. I hope you will keep me posted. I am seeing my PCP next week and I will tell her I want this test and to see a cardiologist before I do anything. Please keep me posted on what you find out and i will do the same. Best, Elinor

Jump to this post

I’ll let you know next week after my appointment. Unless you already know you have existing heart problems or a family history, you may not need a cardiologist depending on the results of your CT heart score. I knew from pre op scans that I had existing plaque so I wanted the heart score to see how bad the problem was before taking anything that could contribute or worsen heart problems, especially with my horrible paternal family history with heart problems. There are also Cardiology Oncologists as a specialty so I may end up going that way if this Cardiologist indicates I could make problems worse with AI’s. The Cardio Oncologist monitors you on which meds are best with an existing heart condition. My current Onc just suggested the usual text book, meds without taking anything else into consideration

I also am undecided whether anastrozole is worth the side effects. I had stopped for a week on the advice of my oncologist. I have pre-existing issues, including some family heart issues. My own heart issues are irregular heart beat and tachycardia, which have been deemed not to need treatment. My osteo-arthritis and dry eye syndrome [which I had before my lumpectomy] have been aggravated by the anastrozole. Yesterday I was instructed to go back on the anastrozole and call in a week if the dry eye and knee soreness get worse. There are so many negatives and not a lot of recurrence protection, at least what I was told. I have a 6% chance of recurrence without the hormone repressant and a 3% chance of recurrence if I take it for five years.
Has anyone heard of very different percentages of recurrence?

@tenayalake86

I also am undecided whether anastrozole is worth the side effects. I had stopped for a week on the advice of my oncologist. I have pre-existing issues, including some family heart issues. My own heart issues are irregular heart beat and tachycardia, which have been deemed not to need treatment. My osteo-arthritis and dry eye syndrome [which I had before my lumpectomy] have been aggravated by the anastrozole. Yesterday I was instructed to go back on the anastrozole and call in a week if the dry eye and knee soreness get worse. There are so many negatives and not a lot of recurrence protection, at least what I was told. I have a 6% chance of recurrence without the hormone repressant and a 3% chance of recurrence if I take it for five years.
Has anyone heard of very different percentages of recurrence?

Jump to this post

Wow, you may be correct about the risk/benefit analysis. If you look closely at the numbers, they may indicate a small advantage. However, the high risk of some side effects negates the small numerical outcome. I am choosing radiation over AI. I have osteopenia and other concerns. I am 73 and want the best active years ahead to spend with my Grandbabies. Praying for God’s wisdom. Blessings to you.

@elliej

Wow, you may be correct about the risk/benefit analysis. If you look closely at the numbers, they may indicate a small advantage. However, the high risk of some side effects negates the small numerical outcome. I am choosing radiation over AI. I have osteopenia and other concerns. I am 73 and want the best active years ahead to spend with my Grandbabies. Praying for God’s wisdom. Blessings to you.

Jump to this post

Thanks for your reply and your kind thoughts. I don't have grandchildren yet, but I do have a husband and 29 year old son I want to be around for. I don't have any bone conditions yet, but I have some family history of osteoporosis. I was offered radiation but I declined that. I didn't like the idea of it, and I read online that radiation for my type of cancer didn't yield any advantage for women over 70, which I am. My oncologist agreed with my decision on radiation. However, I need to talk to him about what alternatives there might be to AI, if any. Good luck to you.

@tenayalake86

Thanks for your reply and your kind thoughts. I don't have grandchildren yet, but I do have a husband and 29 year old son I want to be around for. I don't have any bone conditions yet, but I have some family history of osteoporosis. I was offered radiation but I declined that. I didn't like the idea of it, and I read online that radiation for my type of cancer didn't yield any advantage for women over 70, which I am. My oncologist agreed with my decision on radiation. However, I need to talk to him about what alternatives there might be to AI, if any. Good luck to you.

Jump to this post

As an AI alternative you could look into Breast Defend, a formula by Dr. Isaac Eliaz. There is an excellent Interview with Dr. Eliaz about this formula by Ralph Moss.
Ralph Moss is a great source of information on all cancers.

@pbnew

As an AI alternative you could look into Breast Defend, a formula by Dr. Isaac Eliaz. There is an excellent Interview with Dr. Eliaz about this formula by Ralph Moss.

Jump to this post

Can you direct me to more information? Thanks.

@tenayalake86

Can you direct me to more information? Thanks.

Jump to this post

mossreports.com/dr-eliaz-breast defend/

Try this or just google it

@pbnew

Jump to this post

@pbnew and @kchiavetta86, I just did a Google search for BreastDefend and I'm not finding any recent and/or clearly evidence-based information about its effectiveness from trusted and qualified health and medical sources. I found early studies from 2012 in animals that showed some glimmer of promise. But since then, I see no updated human trials or the herbal formula being used as standard of care or by integrative medicine practitioners.

All sites I've found have a commercial interest, including Ralph Moss. I highly recommend you talk to your oncologist before using any supplements to find out if a) they may be harmful, b) have a negative impact on the effectiveness of your current treatment or c) be a waste of your money.

I also recommend using the herb search hosted and evaluated by Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK). You can search for any herb or supplement and find the substances purported use, benefits and potential side effects, as well as evidence for its effectiveness or not.
- Search about herbs https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs/search

@rene1636

I received my Oncotype DX DCIS score. My Radiology Oncologist just called me & said my score was a 39. I asked for a copy of the results & when I received them it said my score was a 28??? My question is, was the doctor wrong in telling me it was a 39 OR do they add in something she didn’t mention, not on the report that would change the actual result giving you a different number? This isn’t the first conflict of info I’ve received from her so my trust is low but giving the benefit of doubt I thought I’d check to see if I’m missing something that would change the numbers. Does anyone have any helpful information?
I’ve requested an appointment with a different facility, for nothing less than a 2nd opinion & at most to change doctors entirely. I’m really not comfortable with conflicting information on something so serious that impacts decisions on treatments.

Jump to this post

@rene1636 there are two numbers on the Oncotype report- score and risk of recurrence %. Do you have a copy of your report?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.