Aromatase Inhibitors: Did you decide to go on them or not?

Posted by nanato6 @nanato6, Oct 12, 2018

Nanaloves: I’m about to start arimidex and just feel that the contraindications , bone issues etc. are overwhelming. I’m 70 years old, dodged a bullet I feel with zero stage DCIS but the follow up is pretty much no different then if it was more aggressive. I’ve just done 33 treatments of radiation and now they advise arimidex as a preventative. I’m not sure with the beginnings of arthritis and lower back. sensitivity already that I should take it. Anyone not take it and not have a recurrence within the 5 years.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

I have atrial fibrillation with tachycardia (episodes) and had pretty severe osteoporosis when I started an aromatase inhibitor. My Oncotype was low at 8, but grade 3 with lymphovascular invasion. Nodes were clear, high ER/PR+.
I took Femara (letrozole) for 5 years and kind of miss it because it made me feel safe.

Logically any natural supplement that does the same thing (eliminate estrogen) will have the same side effects, right? If that is what people want, then the regulated and tested medications might be preferable.

@windyshores

@rene1636 there are two numbers on the Oncotype report- score and risk of recurrence %. Do you have a copy of your report?

Jump to this post

Yes, my score was a 28. I have a 6% chance of reoccurrence or IBC with radiation & an 8% chance with just a lumpectomy. Nowhere on the report did it say 39 was the score as my doctor told me on the phone before I received the actual report. I’ve decided I’m going to “roll the dice” for a 2% difference & pass on radiation.

I had an 95% estrogen positive /5% progesterone positive breast cancer. I chose a bilateral mastectomy and had that done 9/13/22. My Oncotype DX score came back at 10. No chemo
Oncologist wanted me to start AI. The Oncotype report stated even on AI there was only a 3% chance of reoccurrence. So I chose not to do AI as I have a 6% chance of reoccurrence.
I will take my chances, exercise, limit alcohol, eat well and avoid the damage AI cause.

@windyshores

I have atrial fibrillation with tachycardia (episodes) and had pretty severe osteoporosis when I started an aromatase inhibitor. My Oncotype was low at 8, but grade 3 with lymphovascular invasion. Nodes were clear, high ER/PR+.
I took Femara (letrozole) for 5 years and kind of miss it because it made me feel safe.

Logically any natural supplement that does the same thing (eliminate estrogen) will have the same side effects, right? If that is what people want, then the regulated and tested medications might be preferable.

Jump to this post

Such challenging decisions we each must make. Wondering how you fared, in the osteoporosis results, after having been on AI for 5 years. I am taking Anastrozole, now in month 7, and hoping to mitigate loss of BMD . Were you able to mitigate further bone loss?

@rene1636

Yes, my score was a 28. I have a 6% chance of reoccurrence or IBC with radiation & an 8% chance with just a lumpectomy. Nowhere on the report did it say 39 was the score as my doctor told me on the phone before I received the actual report. I’ve decided I’m going to “roll the dice” for a 2% difference & pass on radiation.

Jump to this post

Are you going to take the AI? My doctors suggested I, at the least, take radiation, my score was 16 with a 4% recurrence. I’m opting to Not take the AI. Blessings❤️

@melomelbee

I had an 95% estrogen positive /5% progesterone positive breast cancer. I chose a bilateral mastectomy and had that done 9/13/22. My Oncotype DX score came back at 10. No chemo
Oncologist wanted me to start AI. The Oncotype report stated even on AI there was only a 3% chance of reoccurrence. So I chose not to do AI as I have a 6% chance of reoccurrence.
I will take my chances, exercise, limit alcohol, eat well and avoid the damage AI cause.

Jump to this post

Sounds like you are doing well. Did you opt for radiation? Sending a hug! Ellij

@elliej

Sounds like you are doing well. Did you opt for radiation? Sending a hug! Ellij

Jump to this post

I am doing good. Still have discomfort and nerve pain but hoping that will ease in time. I didn’t need radiation. Lymph nodes were clear and we caught it early. Total blessing!
Thank you and hugs to you!

@melomelbee

Jump to this post

Hello,
Like you my Oncotype score is 10, but I don't see on my report where it would be 6% for distant recurrence without AI (only says 3% with AI). I had a local recurrence after 2.5 yrs, did not take AI, but am hoping local and distant are two very different things....I will try AI this time around.
Could you let me know where the 'without AI' percentage is found on the report?
Thanks!

@melomelbee

I am doing good. Still have discomfort and nerve pain but hoping that will ease in time. I didn’t need radiation. Lymph nodes were clear and we caught it early. Total blessing!
Thank you and hugs to you!

Jump to this post

Are you taking AI? I opted out, but chose Radiation, I didnt need, but the team advised to do either one or other. I haven't started radiation yet. Still unsettled...tnx

@cashemire

Hello,
Like you my Oncotype score is 10, but I don't see on my report where it would be 6% for distant recurrence without AI (only says 3% with AI). I had a local recurrence after 2.5 yrs, did not take AI, but am hoping local and distant are two very different things....I will try AI this time around.
Could you let me know where the 'without AI' percentage is found on the report?
Thanks!

Jump to this post

Hello,
To the right of the Oncotype score it says on mine the % of distant reoccurrence is 3% if taking AI or tamoxifen. I don’t think AI decrease your chance of reoccurrence by double so I was being generous by stating 6%. My odds are less
By having a mastectomy I decrease my odds even more of a reoccurrence locally and distance.
But we all will worry about it coming back forever unfortunately.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.