Anyone taking Ozempic post Bariatric Surgery?

Posted by wr61 @wr61, Aug 12, 2023

Anyone taking Ozempic post Bariatric Surgery. I started 8/11/23. Dosage 0.25 mg. 3.5 years post Sleeve and have been stuck in the 230s for a couple years. What side effects or opinions do you have?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Bariatric Surgery & Weight Loss Support Group.

I am 11 years Post-Sleeve and am currently going through the process of getting a Bypass. My doctor wants me to try Wegovy pre-sugery, but we cannot get it as the stock is low. I hope the Ozempic works well for you...I have heard a lot if positive reviews about it!

@turberg

I am 11 years Post-Sleeve and am currently going through the process of getting a Bypass. My doctor wants me to try Wegovy pre-sugery, but we cannot get it as the stock is low. I hope the Ozempic works well for you...I have heard a lot if positive reviews about it!

Jump to this post

Down 3.8 since Friday. Got my first 100 morning BG , I'm usually 110-130. Wegovy 2MG + is such a high dose, with your extra sensitivity to GLP-1 I'll bet a smaller Ozempic dose will get you well along your way. I'm doing my best to avoid a revision, Very serious stuff. Take care 👍

I do not qualify for Ozempic because I am not diabetic.

@turberg

I do not qualify for Ozempic because I am not diabetic.

Jump to this post

My doc fudged me in as pre-diabetic even though my last A-1c was 5.4 so insurance wouldn't cover it. Congratulations on your fantastic accomplishments!

Hmmmmm....my latest A1C was 6.0. Perhaps, I could get fudged in, too? Thank you for this information!!!

@wr61

My doc fudged me in as pre-diabetic even though my last A-1c was 5.4 so insurance wouldn't cover it. Congratulations on your fantastic accomplishments!

Jump to this post

So insurance (would) cover it. Typo

So I had sleeve in Dec 2016 but had a complication (stomach stricture as doctor cut the sleeve too thin on the bottom and it twisted.) So after three years and two repairs the stricture came back so the only way to get rid of it for good was to remove it and convert me to a bypass in June 2019. So I had gone from 289 to 165 with the sleeve and then 165 to 138 with the bypass! After the extreme weight loss the pandemic hit and I started gaining due to severe insulin resistance and T2 diabetes. So my weight loss doctor put me on Trulicity (I had actually been in stage 3 clinical trial of that drug back in 2009 to 2011 before it had a name and had lost 60 lbs on it then gained it back once clinical trial was over!). I started Trulicity in Sept 2021 at 204 lbs and by Nov 2022 I was at 150 lbs! That month Trulicity became unavailable so my doctor put me on Mounjaro and that is where I am today, 10 mg. I stay between 148 and 153 lbs, am 5'8"! These shots keep the insulin resistance in check, A1C normal and all my weight off!! But these, shots will be life long maintenance! The clinical trial proved to me without the help if the shot I will gain weight back in my sleep!!

@wr61

So insurance (would) cover it. Typo

Jump to this post

It appears I AM pre-diabetic, so fingers crossed! I know in this area of the country there is a shortage of both Ozempic and Wegovy. Obviously, the individuals struggling with diabetes should have "first dibs" on the Ozempic and a guarantee it will be in stock for them. Either way, I'm thankful I am not a diabetic again! That was scary!!!

WOW! I never imagined the potential of my sleeve twisting. Good to know. You look great, Congratulations on your 150 lb loss. You look familiar, I might have read several of your posts 2019-2021 on bariactricpal when I was pre and post op. I remember also losing 60 in pre op phase with help from an older GLP-1 Victoza, on it for 6 months. I went from 380 to 300 got sleeved Dec 2019 got down to 208 then back to 233-240 fo the last year and a half. Going on day 5 , down 4.8. Thank you for your reply. Best wishes😊

@turberg

It appears I AM pre-diabetic, so fingers crossed! I know in this area of the country there is a shortage of both Ozempic and Wegovy. Obviously, the individuals struggling with diabetes should have "first dibs" on the Ozempic and a guarantee it will be in stock for them. Either way, I'm thankful I am not a diabetic again! That was scary!!!

Jump to this post

Yea, those days of 2 injections of long acting and 3 of short were horrible! Also made it impossible to lose weight. I don't ever want to go back! 😂

Please sign in or register to post a reply.