Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Posted by rabbit10 @rabbit10, Apr 9, 2016

Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@johnbishop

Hi @aussiefrankie, You mentioned having type 2 diabetes. Just wondering if your diabetes might be the cause of your neuropathy. My sister had issues with her feet before she passed and she also had type 2 diabetes. Living in small remote areas does make it more difficult for healthcare access. There is no cure for neuropathy, so we end up having to try and find something that provides relief for our symptoms.

Have you done any research on diabetic neuropathy? Here's a webinar you might find helpful:
https://youtu.be/WAzI0mK4cyk

Jump to this post

Hi John, thanks for answering, yes my diabetes is definitely the cause of
the neuropathy. Both our hospital & my GP have qualified that. Thanks for
the link, I'll investigate further. Even now, (5.30 am) EAST, my feet are
hot, & painful.

AussieFrankie

@Debbie
I had acupuncture treatments, although at the moment, I don’t remember what it was for. It didn't help. Did your acupuncturist want you to drink an intolerable substance also?
Jake

Yes from DADS-M with Anti-Mag and it's hell.

@jemock

Everyone is different but I’ll tell you what the neurologist in Pittsburgh told me when they finally figured out what was going on….”This is probably not going to kill you, but it’s gonna make you a miserable son of a bitch”. That was 13 years ago. He was totally correct. Prepare for the worst. Also, you have a specific kind of SFN. If you just say that you have SFN people think that you simply have what a bazillion diabetics have in their feet.

Jump to this post

This is great- I admire your Pittsburgh doctor for being straight-forward. It probably won’t kill us, but boy, does it make a person miserable. 🙂

@jemock

Everyone is different but I’ll tell you what the neurologist in Pittsburgh told me when they finally figured out what was going on….”This is probably not going to kill you, but it’s gonna make you a miserable son of a bitch”. That was 13 years ago. He was totally correct. Prepare for the worst. Also, you have a specific kind of SFN. If you just say that you have SFN people think that you simply have what a bazillion diabetics have in their feet.

Jump to this post

jemock - In 2017, my neuro doc said something to me along the same lines. He said you're going to die with this but not from it. It was one of those uh-oh moments. So far, he is right. Not the best news but I could have received news a lot worse. I was glad this doc was honest with me. I knew the necessary adjustments in life style were to take place. And, they did and still do.

@dbeshears1

I did an acupuncture series. I found positive relief, both physically and mentally. I think it’s something I might continue, maybe 1 or 2 sessions a year

Jump to this post

Thank you, I'm going to look into it.

@dbeshears1

I did an acupuncture series. I found positive relief, both physically and mentally. I think it’s something I might continue, maybe 1 or 2 sessions a year

Jump to this post

Anything that works for you is great! And if something doesn’t work, don’t continue it. Right now I’m getting great results from dry needling with an excellent PT. We do my glutes about every two weeks, and are starting on my adducters (upper inner thigh) to help with knee pain. I wouldn’t have known about this a few years ago. I’m eight years into neuropathy symptoms, so I have developed a lot of bad habits with my hip and knee posture, to avoid pain. Developed a lot of weakness in those areas. This PT helped me realize this, and I’m seeing progress. You just have to try a lot of things to find what clicks with you.

@dbeshears1

Jump to this post

Did insurance cover the acupuncture series for the neuropathy?

@26sabrina

Did insurance cover the acupuncture series for the neuropathy?

Jump to this post

I was recovering from cancer, and my cancer center offered 4 free sessions. I added 2 more sessions, and my insurance covered it, but I had to pay a co-pay for those (regardless of what the medical reason was)

I am suffering from what I believe is Neuropathy.... Have told my doctor on a phone apt, and he did not seem to concerned... When I bend my toes I feel like there is paper in between them, and they are numb, it started with my toes, and now seems to have progressed to my ankles. I am not in any pain from this, and do not have diabetes. Just wondering if this can become a real problem and if anything I can do about it??

Please sign in or register to post a reply.