Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Posted by rabbit10 @rabbit10, Apr 9, 2016

Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

I have peripheral demylinating neuropathy. It affects my lgs, hands, and internal organs. Not easy to deal with but I hope to find some positive research.

In reply to @nancysitterly "Yes" + (show)
@nancysitterly

Welcome Nancy @nancysitterly. What type of neuropathy do you have? Are you taking medications for the pain or have you tried complementary or alternative treatments?

I have small fiber neuropathy. I was tested at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago and I was told that I there is no reason for the sfn. I take gabapentin and duloxotene which are for pain only. I am very active and have a a good diet but have looked into what I should and should not eat so will try to do better.
Would acupuncture help? Does my condition get worse with age, how do I control it.
Thanks for any help.
Thanks.

@nancysitterly

I have small fiber neuropathy. I was tested at Northwestern Hospital in Chicago and I was told that I there is no reason for the sfn. I take gabapentin and duloxotene which are for pain only. I am very active and have a a good diet but have looked into what I should and should not eat so will try to do better.
Would acupuncture help? Does my condition get worse with age, how do I control it.
Thanks for any help.
Thanks.

Jump to this post

There are many different complementary and alternative treatments that have helped some people relieve the symptoms of their neuropathy. The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a list here - https://www.foundationforpn.org/treatments/. Accupuncture is one of the treatments that some members have found helpful. I have not tried it but then I only have numbness with my neuropathy.

Neuropathy is normally progressive, but no one really can tell you how fast or even if it will progress in my opinion. You can also learn and read more about neuropathy on the Neuropathy Commons website here - https://neuropathycommons.org/.

@johnbishop

There are many different complementary and alternative treatments that have helped some people relieve the symptoms of their neuropathy. The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a list here - https://www.foundationforpn.org/treatments/. Accupuncture is one of the treatments that some members have found helpful. I have not tried it but then I only have numbness with my neuropathy.

Neuropathy is normally progressive, but no one really can tell you how fast or even if it will progress in my opinion. You can also learn and read more about neuropathy on the Neuropathy Commons website here - https://neuropathycommons.org/.

Jump to this post

Hi John, hoping you can help.
I am living in a very small, 10K population, regional town in Far North tropical Qld Australia. Virtually no allied health services within 2.5 hrs drive. I've been living with type 2 diabetes 10yrs, & suffering with associated foot neuropathy 5+ yrs. Is there an org in Aus I can contact to help ??

@nancysitterly

Thanks for any help.
Thanks.

Jump to this post

Everyone is different but I’ll tell you what the neurologist in Pittsburgh told me when they finally figured out what was going on….”This is probably not going to kill you, but it’s gonna make you a miserable son of a bitch”. That was 13 years ago. He was totally correct. Prepare for the worst. Also, you have a specific kind of SFN. If you just say that you have SFN people think that you simply have what a bazillion diabetics have in their feet.

@nancysitterly

Thanks for any help.
Thanks.

Jump to this post

Thank you.

@aussiefrankie

Hi John, hoping you can help.
I am living in a very small, 10K population, regional town in Far North tropical Qld Australia. Virtually no allied health services within 2.5 hrs drive. I've been living with type 2 diabetes 10yrs, & suffering with associated foot neuropathy 5+ yrs. Is there an org in Aus I can contact to help ??

Jump to this post

Hi @aussiefrankie, You mentioned having type 2 diabetes. Just wondering if your diabetes might be the cause of your neuropathy. My sister had issues with her feet before she passed and she also had type 2 diabetes. Living in small remote areas does make it more difficult for healthcare access. There is no cure for neuropathy, so we end up having to try and find something that provides relief for our symptoms.

Have you done any research on diabetic neuropathy? Here's a webinar you might find helpful:
https://youtu.be/WAzI0mK4cyk

@nancysitterly

Thanks for any help.
Thanks.

Jump to this post

I did an acupuncture series. I found positive relief, both physically and mentally. I think it’s something I might continue, maybe 1 or 2 sessions a year

Please sign in or register to post a reply.