Anyone else find the side effects of Hydrea 500MG frightening?

Posted by eddb @eddb, Oct 1, 2023

I was diagnosed with having a blood cancer that looks and acts a lot like Polycythemia Vera (PV) about 6 years ago. I’ve been rolling along ok with (mostly monthly) phlebotomies, until a year or so ago. At that point my white blood cells and (most importantly) my platelet levels started to increase. The doc did a 2nd bone marrow extraction but I STILL tested negative for PV. After a CT scan and other tests were done to rule out any possible hidden bodily infections, my doc prescribed Hydrea 500 MG. I filled the script about a week and a half ago…and it is still sitting in a bag on my counter, unopened. I got seriously freaked out when I researched the drug and found all those nasty side effects associated with the drug.

Now, I’m sitting here knowing that my platelet count as of 3 days ago was 987 (over twice the normal level limit) and that I could throw a blood clot at anytime. I was holding off taking the drug, to get an appointment with a hematologist/oncologist for a 2nd opinion, but that appointment isn’t for another 10 days - I’m a nervous wreck! I do not want to take the chance with hydrea but I don’t want to clot. I don’t even have a real diagnosis other than suspicion of bone marrow cancer or the beginning stages of it….

I’d be curious to hear about what others have experienced while on this drug. Much appreciated!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Blood Cancers & Disorders Support Group.

@nohrt4me

I don't wish anybody ill here, but I have had ET for many years, and I ran a FB group and blog for several years when you couldn't find support or info on ET. I had 6,000 patients from every continent except Antarctica on the FB page at its peak, and I learned these lessons. Please excuse the length of the post.

1. Supplement sellers often pose as patients on support sites and claim that whatever they're selling will control platelets. First it was resveratrol, then turmeric, then CBD oil, now apparently 'shrooms. Mostly the claims say how GREAT they feel and they offer some very tenuous studies to support their claims. God knows, I wish dark chocolate bonbons and smoking dope would cure or control ET. But they don't.

2. Cancer patients are sitting ducks for other people's conspiracy theories about traditional medicine. Many do not confide in friends and relatives because they don't need to hear that when they're hit with a cancer diagnosis.

3. There are many people who use the "everyone is different" mantra to justify making scientifically unsound medical decisions and, by example, encouraging others to freelance. Sorry, but ET pretty much works the same way in all patients. Some patients do better on Peg than HU, some patients will be more likely to have bone pain or strokes. But it's not like we're so different that I need chemo, but you just need a glass of red wine every night.

4. Many patients obsess over platelet counts without understanding that ET isn't just about platelets, but about a genetic mutation that affects blood production in the bone marrow and causes fibrosis in the bones themselves. ET also seems to have system-wide effects by triggering histamine/inflammatory responses, which are still poorly understood.

5. Doctors do a terrible job explaining ET and what the treatment will do. They also vary a lot in how well They keep up with the latest research. They gripe about patients googling things, but can only spare you 10 minutes once or twice a year to talk to you. It's how American for-profit care works. Their treatments do work. Holistic practitioners tend to spend a LOT of time with people and offering loads of empathy and treatments supposedly tailored to their specific bodily needs. Their treatments do not work.

I don't really have anything else to add here, so I'll get off my soap box. I hope it's food for thought. I hope people trying alternative treatments are consulting with doctors and being monitored.

Jump to this post

My hematologist from Anthem University of Chicago Medicine did, and still does, a lousy job of explaining ET. At times, my doctor seems clueless regarding ET.

@dkmitchell

My hematologist from Anthem University of Chicago Medicine did, and still does, a lousy job of explaining ET. At times, my doctor seems clueless regarding ET.

Jump to this post

Yeah, I cannot tell you how many people leave their hemo's office having no idea what's wrong with them. Dad was diagnosed about 2004, and his hemo pulled out a medical textbook and began reading aloud from it. Dad didn't hear very well to begin with, so that was a comedy of errors.

I always like "it's a benign cancer" or "it's technically cancer but not really." Those seem to be common explanations that have confused people from Quebec to Bahrain.

I am not sure what's so hard about telling someone they have a rare chronic bone marrow cancer that will probably not affect their lifespan or overall health if they control general stroke risk, take oral platelet reduction therapy, and get monitoring as recommended.

I have been taking the hydroyurea since 2014. I have had 0 side effects from it. Please try it. There are other drugs they can use if you can't take this one. My oncologist put me on a baby asprin, 81 mgs daily in addition to the urea. There is no cure for this, so I guess we just have to manage it the best we can. When I was diagnosed with essential thrombocypenia it was just called a blood disorder. Now it's a blood cancer...

@nohrt4me

The world is full of people who think they have outsmarted cancer. Folks might want to read about Jessie "Boss Lee" Ward. She was sure everybody on chemo was a dupe, too.

Jump to this post

I have come across so many people with cancer. I have yet to meet anyone who thinks they have 'Outsmarted'!! Cancer.
So many cancer sufferers are naturally worried, depressed etc BUT so many are trying to fight the fight to the best of their ability by trying to remain positive, trying to lead their lives as best they can by occupying themselves physically & mentally which is a tremendous help to them. Think about it!

@mags17

I have come across so many people with cancer. I have yet to meet anyone who thinks they have 'Outsmarted'!! Cancer.
So many cancer sufferers are naturally worried, depressed etc BUT so many are trying to fight the fight to the best of their ability by trying to remain positive, trying to lead their lives as best they can by occupying themselves physically & mentally which is a tremendous help to them. Think about it!

Jump to this post

I'm really happy you have never encountered someone who thinks you can outsmart cancer with "alternative" treatments. MANY people have friends and family urging them not to take chemo without any understanding of the disease or meds whatsoever.

And I applaud your attitude. But some days it's harder to maintain than others. When I have a bad day with fatigue and brain fog (like today) I try not to beat myself up for needing to slow down and regroup.

Actually when my mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I researched everything....Her Dr gave her 6 mos or less.....We went to lots of Dr, some were quacks, but we did try an alternative type of Dr, he was 92 years old, and somehow the visit alone helped my mother feel better, he gave her some meds, never charged for meds, doctor visit $60 paid by medicare, we had to monitor her temperature and bring in numbers at every visit. Anyway she died 2 1/2 years later painlessly in her own bed, as she wanted. So who knows, where there isn't anything else, I can understand searching for hope. She did have whipple procedure, but one Dr said there were experimental treatments, but he didn't offer any hope, in fact he told us most patients who tried were sorry. I believe in science when it has an answer, and pray when I need hope

Buen día, yo tomo hidroxurea hace 9 años, actualmente tengo 40. Realmente no tengo efectos secundarios importantes salvo el cansancio.

I had ET for over 17 years. I was diagnosed at age 45. After the first 2 years my spleen became intolerably uncomfortable, so was prescribed hydroxyurea - starting at just 3 pills a week... I too let it sit on my nightstand for several days... until I was ready to face a forever change of now being on "chemo". But I realized that I was already at that forever change point with the disease. I did experience a wide roller coaster of side effects from the combination of hydrea and the ET. Some were really uncomfortable, some just a nuisance, and always fluctuating. Yet, for me, all were tolerable. I led an extremely active and physically demanding work lifestyle. Eventually I became resistant to the hydrea, despite having increased to a dose at 20 pills a week. I was then prescribed weekly interferon injections that I was on for 7 1/2 years, still leading the same demanding physical work life style. Only after 6 years of interferon did my platelets finally drop within "normal" range. The interferon alleviated some of the undesirable side effects of the hydrea, and also presented some more difficult effects of its own. You will eventually accept the roller coaster ride. You don't get very far complaining about it - as we all know that with MPN's people will tell you that you "look fine", so you don't expect pity. This June I was diagnosed that my ET has transitioned to very high risk myleofibrosis, so am switched from interferon to Jakafi. Jakafi comes with a list of unwanted side effects too. They have in just 2 months doubled that prescription as well. I can tell you that this stuff is a nothing burger compared to the interferon. So I take the prescription, if it is intolerable, they will work with me to fit the best alternative. I am now given a prognosis of just months unless I get a stem cell pretty urgently. It has taken 4 months to look forward to my next consultation Dec 1 at Mayo, that is unless I transition to AML in the meantime as well (which I am told is apparently pretty likely and a much quicker ending). I dont think, "oh woe is me" at all. I got 17 years because I accepted the managed care plan and lived for each next day. If I hadn't, maybe not so good to let the disease manage things. So for me, on to the next thing. God bless you all, and may you be blessed with good days and the ability to endure any difficulty ahead.

@mga

I had ET for over 17 years. I was diagnosed at age 45. After the first 2 years my spleen became intolerably uncomfortable, so was prescribed hydroxyurea - starting at just 3 pills a week... I too let it sit on my nightstand for several days... until I was ready to face a forever change of now being on "chemo". But I realized that I was already at that forever change point with the disease. I did experience a wide roller coaster of side effects from the combination of hydrea and the ET. Some were really uncomfortable, some just a nuisance, and always fluctuating. Yet, for me, all were tolerable. I led an extremely active and physically demanding work lifestyle. Eventually I became resistant to the hydrea, despite having increased to a dose at 20 pills a week. I was then prescribed weekly interferon injections that I was on for 7 1/2 years, still leading the same demanding physical work life style. Only after 6 years of interferon did my platelets finally drop within "normal" range. The interferon alleviated some of the undesirable side effects of the hydrea, and also presented some more difficult effects of its own. You will eventually accept the roller coaster ride. You don't get very far complaining about it - as we all know that with MPN's people will tell you that you "look fine", so you don't expect pity. This June I was diagnosed that my ET has transitioned to very high risk myleofibrosis, so am switched from interferon to Jakafi. Jakafi comes with a list of unwanted side effects too. They have in just 2 months doubled that prescription as well. I can tell you that this stuff is a nothing burger compared to the interferon. So I take the prescription, if it is intolerable, they will work with me to fit the best alternative. I am now given a prognosis of just months unless I get a stem cell pretty urgently. It has taken 4 months to look forward to my next consultation Dec 1 at Mayo, that is unless I transition to AML in the meantime as well (which I am told is apparently pretty likely and a much quicker ending). I dont think, "oh woe is me" at all. I got 17 years because I accepted the managed care plan and lived for each next day. If I hadn't, maybe not so good to let the disease manage things. So for me, on to the next thing. God bless you all, and may you be blessed with good days and the ability to endure any difficulty ahead.

Jump to this post

God bless you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi, I’ve lived a relatively good life after being diagnosed with ET at 20 and I’m now 56. Was recently diagnosed with Myelofibrosis as I have some mild scarring in my bone marrow. I’ve been on Hydrea for 25 to 30 years with minimal side effects. It keeps my platelets at 400,000 but I’m pretty anemic. Oncologist wants to switch me to Interferon to slow the progression but I’m jumping through hoops to get insurance to pay for it. Anyone have any advice on how to get it paid for it. So maddening that our healthcare won’t cover medicine needed…. Also anyone on interferon for MF and how are you doing? Thanks! Praying for everyone!!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.