3C ovarian cancer: tumor markers gradually rising, what's next?

Posted by starko @starko, Dec 16, 2020

Anyone had stage 3C ovarian, surgery and chemo that seemed to destroy the cancer, then 2 years later, the cancer tumor markers are gradually rising, although a CT scan cannot yet pin point the spread? I have had metformin, Lynparaza to stop the progression but neither had a positive result and Lynparaza had horrible side effects. Any similar experiences? Any other meds that seemed to work? No BRAC mutations.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Gynecologic Cancers Support Group.

Profile picture for carol1024 @carol1024

@cookercooker feeling better than with other chemo actually. Still have the taste buds that disappear for about 3 or 4 days. Bone pain isn't so bad, as of yet, but I've only had 2 treatments. Have mouthsores for few days also. Doxorubicins side effect isn't neuropathy and it's getting better in my feet. I was having regular echocardiograms because of the Herceptin and Enhertu so that stays same. Last one in June was fantastic my cardiologist said. I don't smoke or drink so that's a plus for me. I wanted to mention too that there is a group on Facebook for Endometrial cancer patients as well as ovarian and other cancers. I am a member of 3 with 2 being private and 1 public cancer so male and female are members of that one. You can find some great information from others who have gone through or are going through the same thing. It's a great support system. I'm just on pins and needles with anxiety knowing I'm having my CA125 done in a couple weeks and so praying it's going in the right direction. I'll keep trying chemo treatments and eventually trials if I must until we find something that works. Cancer research is continously progressing and soon it will become a medical condition that's not curable but treatable much like AIDS is today. Stage 3 and 4 cancers are already incurable, most anyway, and just treatable to stop progression. Even in remission there's the possibility it will return. Facebook group is full of people who have been cancer free for 10 and even 20 years and that always gives one hope. 🧡

Jump to this post

@carol1024 That’s fantastic news. Very glad to hear that the side fx of the new treatment are no worse and even better than the previous chemo treatments.
But you have 2-4 more cycles to go. I’m cheering you on and crossing my fingers that they go smoothly and successfully.
You also have a great support system in place.
Probably everyone can identify "scansiety".
Take heart in knowing that other treatments are available now or soon if this one fails. Even Stage 3 and 4 cancers may be curable one day. Keep the faith <3.

REPLY
Profile picture for carol1024 @carol1024

@cookercooker feeling better than with other chemo actually. Still have the taste buds that disappear for about 3 or 4 days. Bone pain isn't so bad, as of yet, but I've only had 2 treatments. Have mouthsores for few days also. Doxorubicins side effect isn't neuropathy and it's getting better in my feet. I was having regular echocardiograms because of the Herceptin and Enhertu so that stays same. Last one in June was fantastic my cardiologist said. I don't smoke or drink so that's a plus for me. I wanted to mention too that there is a group on Facebook for Endometrial cancer patients as well as ovarian and other cancers. I am a member of 3 with 2 being private and 1 public cancer so male and female are members of that one. You can find some great information from others who have gone through or are going through the same thing. It's a great support system. I'm just on pins and needles with anxiety knowing I'm having my CA125 done in a couple weeks and so praying it's going in the right direction. I'll keep trying chemo treatments and eventually trials if I must until we find something that works. Cancer research is continously progressing and soon it will become a medical condition that's not curable but treatable much like AIDS is today. Stage 3 and 4 cancers are already incurable, most anyway, and just treatable to stop progression. Even in remission there's the possibility it will return. Facebook group is full of people who have been cancer free for 10 and even 20 years and that always gives one hope. 🧡

Jump to this post

@carol1024 Your post shines with optimism and hope. My doctors have said that cancer research can now view cancers as a sort of chronic illness and that treatments and medications can stop progression. I do remember when the diagnoses of HIV and AIDS were dire with no treatments in view. That has all changed with the results of research.

I can relate to the feeling of anxiety awaiting scans and tests. That was every 6 months for more. Now it's annual. I'll be five years out in December from my endometrial cancer recurrence. My NP told me that if all looks good I can return annually. However, she also offered the option to return every 6 months if I want. I don't want that "lead" to be too long so I may opt for the 6 months check-ins. Anxiety and all.

Healing prayers to you as you go forward with treatment that is working and especially for good results (numbers going down) with the CA125.

REPLY
Profile picture for Helen, Volunteer Mentor @naturegirl5

@carol1024 Your post shines with optimism and hope. My doctors have said that cancer research can now view cancers as a sort of chronic illness and that treatments and medications can stop progression. I do remember when the diagnoses of HIV and AIDS were dire with no treatments in view. That has all changed with the results of research.

I can relate to the feeling of anxiety awaiting scans and tests. That was every 6 months for more. Now it's annual. I'll be five years out in December from my endometrial cancer recurrence. My NP told me that if all looks good I can return annually. However, she also offered the option to return every 6 months if I want. I don't want that "lead" to be too long so I may opt for the 6 months check-ins. Anxiety and all.

Healing prayers to you as you go forward with treatment that is working and especially for good results (numbers going down) with the CA125.

Jump to this post

@naturegirl5 thank you for such a sweet text. Wishing you all the best with your journey too.

REPLY

My guess is that the oncologist will use the same therapy that put you in remission for two years.

REPLY
Profile picture for carol1024 @carol1024

@cookercooker feeling better than with other chemo actually. Still have the taste buds that disappear for about 3 or 4 days. Bone pain isn't so bad, as of yet, but I've only had 2 treatments. Have mouthsores for few days also. Doxorubicins side effect isn't neuropathy and it's getting better in my feet. I was having regular echocardiograms because of the Herceptin and Enhertu so that stays same. Last one in June was fantastic my cardiologist said. I don't smoke or drink so that's a plus for me. I wanted to mention too that there is a group on Facebook for Endometrial cancer patients as well as ovarian and other cancers. I am a member of 3 with 2 being private and 1 public cancer so male and female are members of that one. You can find some great information from others who have gone through or are going through the same thing. It's a great support system. I'm just on pins and needles with anxiety knowing I'm having my CA125 done in a couple weeks and so praying it's going in the right direction. I'll keep trying chemo treatments and eventually trials if I must until we find something that works. Cancer research is continously progressing and soon it will become a medical condition that's not curable but treatable much like AIDS is today. Stage 3 and 4 cancers are already incurable, most anyway, and just treatable to stop progression. Even in remission there's the possibility it will return. Facebook group is full of people who have been cancer free for 10 and even 20 years and that always gives one hope. 🧡

Jump to this post

@carol1024 Carol, will you keep us posted about your treatment with doxorubicin? I'm waiting for the start date of my next course of chemo and will be carboplatin and doxorubicin. Unfortunately I can't take Avastin because my scan showed some "tethering" which poses a risk of bowel perforation with Avastin. Wishing you all the best!

REPLY
Profile picture for gigk @gigk

@starko
What symptoms were you having that resulted in the MRI?

Jump to this post

@gigk, welcome. Are you experiencing concerning symptoms?

REPLY

I read that your tumor markers were increasing but I was just curious what symptoms you were experiencing that resulted in an a MRI of your head.

REPLY
Profile picture for gigk @gigk

I read that your tumor markers were increasing but I was just curious what symptoms you were experiencing that resulted in an a MRI of your head.

Jump to this post

@gigk I will add my welcome. What brought you to Mayo Clinic Connect and to our Gynecological Cancers Support Group? Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with a gynecological cancer such as ovarian cancer?

REPLY

Stage 4C ovarian 4 years ago returned 6 months ago. So much chemo caused a second cancer of the mouth.

REPLY
Profile picture for Helen, Volunteer Mentor @naturegirl5

@gigk I will add my welcome. What brought you to Mayo Clinic Connect and to our Gynecological Cancers Support Group? Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with a gynecological cancer such as ovarian cancer?

Jump to this post

@naturegirl5
I was diagnosed the end of April 2026 with Stage 3C carsinosarcoma ovarian cancer. I have started chemo and on going into my 4th treatment. I am researching all the information I can find and learning from others.

REPLY
Please sign in or register to post a reply.