Lung Cancer: Also have other conditions (heart, diabetes and TIAs)

Posted by maryheart777 @maryheart777, Sep 12, 2019

Had a petscan and have a spot 11mm in left lung--I am a heart patient with a pacemaker/defib --diabetic--3 tia in brain---I was told its cancer What is my next step? Don't know what to do feel I am high risk for surgery!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Cancer Support Group.

Your Mayo Drs are your next step. They are your best source!

@maryheart777- Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. With all of your other concerns it must have been devastating to hear that you have cancer too. I do not have some of your concerns but I do have lung cancer and my heart drops to the floor when I hear that I have another cancer. What kind of doctor recommended that you have a PET? Did you have a CT scan first?

yes a
had been following a spot for 2 years --last year size 6mm this year 11mm Lung dr suggested petscan a week later said it grew to 11mm and it lit up on petscan wants to do biopsy and cut out part of lung now!

@maryheart777 - Pretty awful to hear this, I know. Is this your pulmonologist or PCP recommending surgery? Or maybe a Thoracic Surgeon? Thoracic surgeons or Cardiothoracic surgeons. Cardiothoracic surgeons deal with medicine involved in surgical treatment of organs inside the thorax —generally treatment of conditions of the heart and lungs. Wikipedia
I couldn't wait to get my cancer out. Since your cancer is growing it could turn into a metastasis and I don't think that you want that. You might want to ask what precautions will be taken during surgery because of your heart and pacemaker. Surgeons of late can operate when things are not ideal for specific illnesses. When is your next appointment to discuss this with a surgeon?

My illness followed this course. If you have only one lesion at 11 mm that is pretty hopeful if you follow up soon. Even if the big C only one lesion of that size can be pretty hopeful. Mine was over six years ago. I lost a lobe of one lung and had no other treatment. Here I am becoming more ancient but still kicking. Also, it could possibly not even be cancer, All kinds of inflammatory things light up on PET scans. I have a couple of scares since but the lesions turned out to be something else. Don't let fear freeze you. Share your feelings with your providers - we all have them. They will generally respond with kindness and support

@bentrivercarla

My illness followed this course. If you have only one lesion at 11 mm that is pretty hopeful if you follow up soon. Even if the big C only one lesion of that size can be pretty hopeful. Mine was over six years ago. I lost a lobe of one lung and had no other treatment. Here I am becoming more ancient but still kicking. Also, it could possibly not even be cancer, All kinds of inflammatory things light up on PET scans. I have a couple of scares since but the lesions turned out to be something else. Don't let fear freeze you. Share your feelings with your providers - we all have them. They will generally respond with kindness and support

Jump to this post

@bentrivercarla- Good morning. You hit the nail on the head with your reply. Very compassionate and hopeful.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.