C.T. scan at 9 months of antibiotics
So been on the big 3 for 9 months now . I take them 7 days a week. But the last 3 months I have cut out Saturday and Sunday just for a break on the antibiotics. I am breathing better ! I can walk , I can get my laundry out of dryer without being short of breath ! My only issue I have had has been leg pain . Muscle cramps also in my hands . My question is my doctor told me my C.T. scan showed my cavity has gotten bigger but since I'm doing good. He will just check my C.T again in 6 months . Just wondering if that is right ?
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.
Connect

@kasper1 Did they also do a sputum culture to see if the bacterial load is decreasing?
@sueinmn no they have not done a sputum test in months . Just blood work.
@kasper1 I just finished treatment for MAI, and also had cavitary disease. My sputum was tested monthly. Because of the cavitary disease, I also had multiple CTs during treatment (total treatment duration 13.5 months) to confirm response to treatment. If you have been treating 7 months and your sputum has not converted and your cavity is growing, to me, a fellow patient, it seems your medical team should be reassessing their approach. The fact that they have not done so suggests to me you do not have true NTM experts treating you. If I were you I would want a second opinion ASAP from one of the top specialty BE/NTM care centers. Unfortunately it can be difficult to get into the specialty care centers quickly, they often have long waits. I will add I don’t think it is a great idea to unilaterally reduce your treatment protocol from 7 to 5 days per week. Have you discussed this with your medical team? The 2020 treating guidelines state that those with cavitary disease are less likely (they may even say unlikely) to convert on less than daily treatment. Generally speaking, all patients’ treatment regimen should be reevaluated at 6 months if their sputum has not converted. Often, the decision is made to add Arikayce. Because of my cavitary disease, I started treatment with Big 3 and Arikayce. Patients with cavitary disease are often (usually?) started with the Big 3 and an aminoglycoside, either IV Amikacin (see 2020 treating guidelines) or Arikayce depending on the circumstances. Obviously we are patients on this list not doctors so as to your fundamental question “is this right?” none of us can answer that. But from one patient with cavitary disease to another, I think you need another set of medical eyes and preferably those of a true NTM expert. Below is the link for finding BE/ NTM specialty care centers. If you want to discuss further DM me. Good luck! https://www.bronchandntm.org/For-Providers/Clinical-Care/Care-Center-Network/Participating-Centers
-
Like -
Helpful -
Hug
7 Reactions@kasper1 As @bayarea58 said, it seems your provider may not be up to date with MAC treatment protocols. Blood tests cannot determine whether the infection is resolving.
Have you considered getting a second opinion?
-
Like -
Helpful -
Hug
3 Reactions@bayarea58 I was started on the Arikayce but made me very sick . Lost my voice , and could not breathe on it . It took 3 weeks after I stopped the arikayce to be able to breathe again . I have been thinking about reaching out to the Cleveland clinic that is the only 1 close to me . There is not a specialist in Indiana. Also not sure my insurance will cover it .
@kasper1 Well, it is always worth checking! There are also specialty centers in Illinois and St Louis.
-
Like -
Helpful -
Hug
1 Reaction@bayarea58
I agree with you!
-
Like -
Helpful -
Hug
1 Reaction@kasper1 I totally understand about the Arikayce, I had a lot of issues with it myself. I know a few cavitary patients who were not able to tolerate the Arikayce who were taken off Arikayce and put on Clofazimine instead. This is where having a true NTM expert becomes invaluable, figuring out the options when the standard treatments aren’t working effectively. I also understand your concerns about insurance. I am with a large HMO who refused to pay for an outside expert, despite not having their own NTM expert. I pay out of pocket for my outside experts. I have had two. I started at NJH and am now at UCSF. It’s not cheap, but it is absolutely worth it to me. The difference in the level of care is extraordinary and if you can swing it, you will not regret it. There are ways to keep the out of pocket costs within reason, so if this does become an issue for you, please reach back out and I will share my experience in this regard.
-
Like -
Helpful -
Hug
2 Reactions@kasper1 I on RX treatment including Arikayce for 3 weeks and I immediately lost my voice and when I went to NJH in Denver, I could not maintain blood oxygen, so I was put supplemental oxygen for the duration. I was allowed to stop RX treatment as my MABC load was decreasing prior to even starting the antibiotics, but before the ID doctor realized that and reviewed all my tests, she told me: 1. I could reduce the Arikayce from daily to 3/week and 2. Try nebulizing Amakacin. I am currently being monitored but if I need the antibiotics down the road, I will look into the inhaled Amakacin versus Arikayce.
@kathyjjb Sorry for all the typos. ALSO, when I was first diagnosed locally via sputum and CT, the Radiologist reported a small cavity. Long story short, NJH told me it wasn't a cavity but it was an expanded airway. Later my NJH ID doctor told me she went back into old CTs and saw that 20 years ago, I had the same expanded airways-and no changes to date. She also told me if I had a cavity, they would have put me on IV treatment for 2 months and pills for longer. But this was M.Abscessus and macrolide resistant. Sometimes lung resection is an option if the drugs don't work. If at all possible, I would highly recommend NJH and at minimum a BE/NTM Clinic. Not sure if Cleveland Clinic has that BE/NTM certification?