Finding a Living Donor
With nearly 120,000 people waiting for a lifesaving organ transplant, finding a living donor may be your best option for reducing the amount of time you spend waiting for an organ. You can find all the details of this process, from finding a donor to recovering from your operation, in our Living Donor Recipient Toolkit.
Highlights from the Recipient Toolkit
- Advocating for yourself and educating others
- Where to look for a donor
- Setting expectations once you’ve found a donor
- Donor evaluation process
- Financial and insurance considerations
- Finding comfort from friends, family, and support groups
Dawn Odenthal didn’t hesitate when she found out her co-worker Jolinda Conzemius needed a kidney for a transplant. She immediately stepped up to donate. Now, she and Jolinda are spreading the word to others about the value of living-donor organ transplants.
Learn more about Jolinda and Dawn’s inspiring living organ transplant journey.
Spread the Word About Living Donation
Raising awareness about living donation is important. Reading and sharing living organ information educates yourself and others on the need, process, and life-saving gift of organ donation. Share our Recipient Toolkit and Living Donor Toolkit with your family and friends.
- Explore Mayo’s Transplant Center.
- Connect with others in our transplant discussion group.
- Request an appointment.