Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@cantab

Brown University just released this app to study chronic pain. It seems very worthwhile so I downloaded it. This is an article in the Boston Globe describing it.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/04/17/metro/new-app-is-looking-understand-your-pain/?rss_id=section_rss_full&s_campaign=bg:full:rss:section&et_rid=1745368699&s_campaign=metroheadlines:newsletter

Jump to this post

I can’t open the Boston Globe article. Would you mind specifically giving the app info. I’d like to download it.

@carojune

I can’t open the Boston Globe article. Would you mind specifically giving the app info. I’d like to download it.

Jump to this post

Welcome @caroljune, I couldn't open the Boston Globe article either since it wants a subscription. I found a couple of articles from Brown University that discuss the same app that the Boston Globe article mentioned.

--- Want to understand chronic pain? There’s an app for that.: https://alumni-friends.brown.edu/news/2023-03-25/soma-app
--- SOMA – an app to monitor bodily symptoms: https://www.brown.edu/carney/research-project/soma-%E2%80%93-app-monitor-bodily-symptoms.

Are you able to share a little more about the type of chronic pain you have?

@johnbishop

Welcome @caroljune, I couldn't open the Boston Globe article either since it wants a subscription. I found a couple of articles from Brown University that discuss the same app that the Boston Globe article mentioned.

--- Want to understand chronic pain? There’s an app for that.: https://alumni-friends.brown.edu/news/2023-03-25/soma-app
--- SOMA – an app to monitor bodily symptoms: https://www.brown.edu/carney/research-project/soma-%E2%80%93-app-monitor-bodily-symptoms.

Are you able to share a little more about the type of chronic pain you have?

Jump to this post

Thanks. I also found the site. I have chronic left neck pain originating in c7: 5/6. It is arthritis in the faucets. Now nearly a year since onset. Pain has gradually increased and last fall was severe into upper back both front and back. I’ve had 2 rounds of PT, massage therapy, personal trainers. And 3 steroid series with some short term relief. Now am waiting for a rhyzotomy. I’m 82 and still active with walking and hiking, yoga, swimming and teach chair yoga 3 times a week. I am constantly realigning myself to avoid forward slump. Pain is constant but at times can be low level. Generally about a 5.

@carojune

Thanks. I also found the site. I have chronic left neck pain originating in c7: 5/6. It is arthritis in the faucets. Now nearly a year since onset. Pain has gradually increased and last fall was severe into upper back both front and back. I’ve had 2 rounds of PT, massage therapy, personal trainers. And 3 steroid series with some short term relief. Now am waiting for a rhyzotomy. I’m 82 and still active with walking and hiking, yoga, swimming and teach chair yoga 3 times a week. I am constantly realigning myself to avoid forward slump. Pain is constant but at times can be low level. Generally about a 5.

Jump to this post

Oh, I’ve established a morning routine of moist heat for 20 minutes, then a Tens unit for 15 minutes, and a few times a week over the door traction. Then a yoga series designed for upper back and neck.

I'm getting ready to do a trial for a Spinal Cord Stimulator. It will either be an Abbott or a Boston Scientific. I'm wondering if either one of these have been used permanently and what kind of relief everyone has gotten with either. It's because I was in a bad car accident about 12 years ago. I have 3 screws and titanium plates in my lower back. Thanks.

Hi Kelsey,

I am new to this chronic pain group. I suffer with relentless migraines. Is there a support group for such?
Thanks so much.
briarrose

@briarrose

Hi Kelsey,

I am new to this chronic pain group. I suffer with relentless migraines. Is there a support group for such?
Thanks so much.
briarrose

Jump to this post

Hello!
I too suffer with migraines. I recently started taking neurtec and it has saved my sanity.
Best of luck to you,
Kat

@katcollins

Hello!
I too suffer with migraines. I recently started taking neurtec and it has saved my sanity.
Best of luck to you,
Kat

Jump to this post

Hi Kat!

Wish I could say the same about Nurtec, it did not help me. That's great it is saving you! My neurology group is trying lots of medications but it's a really tough go for me. Right now I am back to Ubrevly and starting Aimovig injection for my prevention. I was taking Emgality for prevention. They want me to start a neuromodulating device also. Yikes!
Never had migraines until I hit my head in 2019. It is quite debilitating for me.
Marie

@briarrose

Hi Kat!

Wish I could say the same about Nurtec, it did not help me. That's great it is saving you! My neurology group is trying lots of medications but it's a really tough go for me. Right now I am back to Ubrevly and starting Aimovig injection for my prevention. I was taking Emgality for prevention. They want me to start a neuromodulating device also. Yikes!
Never had migraines until I hit my head in 2019. It is quite debilitating for me.
Marie

Jump to this post

I am so sorry. I’ve had migraines my whole life. They have gotten progressively worse and I now get migraine associated vertigo. I also developed involuntary movements and FMD seizures. The doctors think it is related to my fibromyalgia and migraines. Since I began neurtec I have been able to walk again. Mind you I am only 45 and this all hit suddenly.
I have heard that Botox is very helpful as well. That is some that I have inquired about since I get facial movements from the migraines.
Best of luck to you,
Kat

Hi Kat,

So sorry to hear of your battles. I never head of FMD seizures with migraines. How awful!
I also believe I have fibromyalgia but never diagnosed. From what I am reading since developing migraines there are lots of medical conditions related, or associated, with migraines and I kept reading the same ones over and over. Fibromyalgia is certainly one of them. I have had vertigo in my life but not with my migraine condition. Vertigo is so debilitating. I literally would have to crawl on the floor to try to get to my bed. I can imagine it's a nightmare for you. In the 1990s I had 3 very short episodes of wavy lines in my eye sight. I actually thought I was having a stroke...but later learned it was "ophthalmic migraines". That was the extend of my migraine condition. I have 3 first cousins, all sisters, who had migraines since they were teenagers. I now was told there is a strong "genetic" component to migraines. One is in her 70s and they are abating - the other two are in their 60s and no longer suffer from them. I am certainly a late bloomer. As I said I hit my head in 2019...and then had a "thunderclap" headache in 2020. What followed was 9 months of migraines every single day. A nightmare. Things improved but then got worse so I am dealing with them daily. Medication changes left and right. I am 68 now. Yes, Botox might certainly me helpful for you. Look into it. Not sure if it would help me...my neurology team has never mentioned it as an option for me. Restarting my preventative - Emgality monthly injections. Are you on a preventative? Also, restarting Ubrevly but at 100 mg. vs. 50 mg. for an acute attack but it only works for a few hours. I have heart disease so I can not take the triptans.
Take care,
Marie

Please sign in or register to post a reply.