Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

@samanthaezu

Hello , blessed morning …here from India…..

Jump to this post

Good morning @samanthaezu, so nice to hear from you, my friend. My goodness, you are a long way from little ol' Decatur, AL. I am so happy to have you here in Mayo Clinic Connect!

This little group started getting together because of a common life experience that bonds us together like no other. We have all tried many different avenues, medications, diets and exercises, to attempt what seems the impossible….a pain free life.

What works for one, does not necessarily work for another. Yet we share our stories here and learn from each other. I am Mamacita, and I welcome you here!

Is this your first time here or are you a long time regular? I admit I am not a medical practitioner. I have no training in that area. Just a lifetime of chronic pain and experience to encourage and give hope.

I learn so much from the other members here. The general consensus is that we work better as a team, having our physicians aware and part of the entire experience, as we discover what works and what doesn't. I take supplements as well as medication, but it all has to be under the watchful eye of an excellent doctor who is devoted to his patients.

Sorry this is so long. I can't wait to hear more of your experiences and how you are controlling your pain levels. Self care is vitally important. Time for coffee! I hope you will join me soon! Or would that be tea, instead? Have a great day, my friend….namaste.

Mamacita

Hello dear …..I'm new here…..need all your guidance and prayer support

@samanthaezu

Jump to this post

@samanthaezu Welcome to this wonderful group as mamacita said we are here to help and support we all have our pain and share what helps us.I ,ll tell you alittle about me In 2005 working in private duty I fractured my back and had to retire from nursing from this I now have other back issues and nerve along with fibromyalgia.We all help each other welcome again what brings you to us?More will chime in as you let us know your troubles.

Hello …my mother have a very bad pain on her arms and shoulders …..she was actually diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer on may

@samanthaezu

Hello …my mother have a very bad pain on her arms and shoulders …..she was actually diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer on may

Jump to this post

@samanthaezu
Hi!
I am so sorry to hear about your mother.
My mother, a nonsmoker had lung cancer. We were fortunate in that she never had pain.
Are the doctors sure the pain is from the cancer?
Could it be from her cervical spine?
Does she walk with a cane? If so, does she use it on the side that hurts?
I hope you and your mother can find an answer to help with the pain.
Ronnie
(GRANDMAr)

@samanthaezu

Jump to this post

@samanthaezu Im sorry to hear about your Mothers cancer does she take pain medication? Ice is a anti inflammatory maybe that will help with the pain Ive used ice for leg pain and it helps me.

Great idea, @lioness. We often forget the simple remedies like ice or heat.

@samanthaezu

Jump to this post

@samanthaezu
Welcome.
We are here to help, share and advise.
Just ask or comment and those of us who can, will respond.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@samanthaezu

Jump to this post

#samanthaezu, I am saddened to hear about your mother in laws's and pain. Is she able to see the doctor for checkups? If, so, I wonder if anyone could go with her?

Sometimes it is helpful to have another person along for support. That person can help remember the doctor's instructions. There are pain medicines available for cancer patients that are not usually given to others.

Please let us know how you are doing and if we can help in some way. I hope to hear from you soon!

Mamacita

Liked by lioness

@samanthaezu

Jump to this post

@samanthaezu, you shall have many prayers and good thoughts coming your way! I believe in prayer. Take care!

Liked by lioness

Hi all, My name is Stephen. I was in a minor car accident that resulted in a labral tear of my hip. I was the unfortunate recipient of the Depuy Orthopedics Hip resurfacing system which for some unknown reason was approved by Health Canada. I've had two revision surgeries including cobalt toxicity. I became sensitive in an immune fashion to the chrome-cobalt metallosis triggering an immune-mediated polyneuropathy that persists despite the cobalt being long gone. It has left me in chronic pain for about 6 years. Still hoping to find some form of successful treatment as the pain seems to just exacerbate as time goes on.

@sro50

Hi all, My name is Stephen. I was in a minor car accident that resulted in a labral tear of my hip. I was the unfortunate recipient of the Depuy Orthopedics Hip resurfacing system which for some unknown reason was approved by Health Canada. I've had two revision surgeries including cobalt toxicity. I became sensitive in an immune fashion to the chrome-cobalt metallosis triggering an immune-mediated polyneuropathy that persists despite the cobalt being long gone. It has left me in chronic pain for about 6 years. Still hoping to find some form of successful treatment as the pain seems to just exacerbate as time goes on.

Jump to this post

@sro50. Sounds like You’ve been through quite a lot. So sorry that it’s not turned out for the better. Medicine is still a “practice”. What have you tried so far for your pain? Have you had any success with any of it? I wonder if some sort of detox is available for the sensitivities or if maybe hyperbaric chamber would help? Look forward to hearing more about what you’re doing to manage your pain

@ckeys

@sro50. Sounds like You’ve been through quite a lot. So sorry that it’s not turned out for the better. Medicine is still a “practice”. What have you tried so far for your pain? Have you had any success with any of it? I wonder if some sort of detox is available for the sensitivities or if maybe hyperbaric chamber would help? Look forward to hearing more about what you’re doing to manage your pain

Jump to this post

The area where the resurfacing was done was a total mess so I ended up with a total hip replacement. I was on so many different meds for pain including every opiate known to mankind. I required high dosages to start and they had to be continuously pushed up. I was still in agony and the meds played havoc on my mind. I voluntarily admitted myself to a detox unit and was in the hospital for 5 weeks. I will say the program at the hospital made detox a lot easier than I imagined. It was then decided to try nerve blocks at L1 & L2. I have had 4 nerve blocks in the past 8 months. The initial block did give me some relief but it was short lived (about 4 weeks). The following 3 nerve blocks were not too successful at all. My Dr. had mixed feelings on doing an ablation. He was concerned that the visibility of certain nerves would be "blocked" by the prosthetic device. He has decided to freeze the nerves (next week) as a diagnostic tool and if there is relief he will do an ablation.

In terms of the immune-mediated polyneuropathy from the cobalt, the doctor is just waiting to receive some test results back but has mentioned treating it with Acetylcysteine.

I would assume the success rates with a hip ablation or treating the polyneuropathy with Acetylcysteine vary widely but I would appreciate any info. on both.

I am the Associate Pastor at Second Baptist, Pasadena, TX. I am also a student at the College of Biblical Studies in Houston, TX. I am 58 years old, a recovering alcoholic (25 years!), and I love to write!

I am married to my wife Lynette (29 years) and we have a daughter who lives and teaches in the Dallas area (graduated from Baylor!).

My struggle has been going on for ten plus years. The most recent diagnosis is eight herniated discs, two pinched nerves, and severe arthritis. The pain has been increasing almost daily. But it's really my legs that are giving me the biggest problem. Being a Pastor, as well as a student, I am always on the move. Not so much of late. There's so much more that I want to share, it's hard to put into words. The pain gets so bad is simply overwhelms me. Stops me in my tracks.

My mantra: "I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil. 4:13)

I want (must) keep a positive attitude. An attitude of gratitude.

A lot has changed over the years, the main one being I'm not able to do what I feel God has called me to do. Which really brings in a lot of questions at times, as I let the enemy whisper in my ear. My eyes are fixed, however, on the Lord.

When things get really bad I like to listen to praise music. The Bible on Audio. Play with my doggy … Faith!

That's pretty much it in a nut-shell. A lot more I'd like to share. Things about meds and treatments and all (I've tried just about everything, or at least is seems so). It hurts to type so I'm going to stop now.

One final word … so thankful to find this community!

Blessings to all.

Liked by katie215

@davidstory

I am the Associate Pastor at Second Baptist, Pasadena, TX. I am also a student at the College of Biblical Studies in Houston, TX. I am 58 years old, a recovering alcoholic (25 years!), and I love to write!

I am married to my wife Lynette (29 years) and we have a daughter who lives and teaches in the Dallas area (graduated from Baylor!).

My struggle has been going on for ten plus years. The most recent diagnosis is eight herniated discs, two pinched nerves, and severe arthritis. The pain has been increasing almost daily. But it's really my legs that are giving me the biggest problem. Being a Pastor, as well as a student, I am always on the move. Not so much of late. There's so much more that I want to share, it's hard to put into words. The pain gets so bad is simply overwhelms me. Stops me in my tracks.

My mantra: "I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me." (Phil. 4:13)

I want (must) keep a positive attitude. An attitude of gratitude.

A lot has changed over the years, the main one being I'm not able to do what I feel God has called me to do. Which really brings in a lot of questions at times, as I let the enemy whisper in my ear. My eyes are fixed, however, on the Lord.

When things get really bad I like to listen to praise music. The Bible on Audio. Play with my doggy … Faith!

That's pretty much it in a nut-shell. A lot more I'd like to share. Things about meds and treatments and all (I've tried just about everything, or at least is seems so). It hurts to type so I'm going to stop now.

One final word … so thankful to find this community!

Blessings to all.

Jump to this post

That Bible verse is one of my favorites. I have had PN for many years, but I find that not wearing shoes or socks and staying off of my feet helps a lot with keeping the pain away. I can imagine what it is like not being able to do your life's work. This is where we trust in the Lord to bring to pass what we cannot do in what way He sees as best. That is not easy. I have a friend who was a pastor and now has PN. He only works part time now because of it. Also my brother has a dog named Faith.

Please login or register to post a reply.