Unruptured Brain Aneurysm: How would a rupture occur?

Posted by badnaples @badnaples, Nov 22, 2021

Hello! I recently found out I have a 4mm ACOM during a CT scan, waiting CT angio appointment, question is....live life normally? OK, to travel (fly), exercise etc. Can't get answers from doc, they say all this will be covered during pre-op which is weeks away and in the meantime causing me anxiety not knowing what I should or should not do. Not sure if I have symptoms, various headaches, mild, dull, various areas of the head, but have those often and for long time, and stuffy nose so assume its sinus. Any help is appreciated, suppose to travel in 48 hours. I read all this about rupturing and frightens me. Is it something that would happen suddenly or gradually from a leak. Help! THank you.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Stroke & Cerebrovascular Diseases Support Group.

Hello All:
I am 80 years old male with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, prostate cancer on oral chemotherapy, and glaucoma. I also have an aortic stent. I was admitted to a hospital May 2026 for acute dizziness and vertigo. I had sudden onset of room-spinning dizziness, worse with head movement to the left, along with gait instability but no focal neurologic deficits. An initial evaluation included CTA of the head and neck revealed a 3 mm anterior communicating artery aneurysm (irregularly shaped), a possible 1.5 mm left supraclinoid ICA aneurysm versus infundibulum, and 50% stenosis of the left common carotid artery. MRI brain scan showed no acute findings, only mild chronic ischemic changes and atrophy. My symptoms were felt to be most consistent with peripheral vertigo, likely BPPV, given the positional nature and prior improvement with maneuvers. I went to see a neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins. He said I should come back in one year for another scan. He does not recommend any intervention at this point because of the risk of operating on an 80 year old man, especially since there is plaque in my arteries. Sorry for the long winded description but any thoughts from this group would be appreciated.

REPLY

I just had my 2nd aneurysm "fixed" with a stent. This one was unruptured, but because I had one rupture 23 years ago, they decided to fix it ASAP via a stent as soon as they found it before it could rupture. This one was done via a groin entry vs cracking my skull open 23 years ago in the emergency surgery. Much better to be proactive and get it fixed via a stent or a coil or both. They did both an angiogram and a CT scan. I was in the hospital overnight this time vs 4 weeks in the hospitals CCU and 3 months in a rehab center 23 years ago.

REPLY
Profile picture for Unruptured C6 Aneurysms @dmetzy

@jpmcf
What did the neurosurgeon say?

Jump to this post

@dmetzy An angiogram needs to be done to determine the course of action. A stent vs a coil or a combination of both.

REPLY
Profile picture for jpmcf @jpmcf

On a CT scan ordered by an ENT Dr, they discovered an ACoA aneurysm 10 x 10 x 14 mm. It has been a month since the scan and I’ve yet to see the right neurosurgeon. Tuesday I finally get to see a Dr that can do the proper imaging and determine the course of action. I am worried and alone. My eyes are tired and feel heavy.

Jump to this post

@jpmcf
What did the neurosurgeon say?

REPLY

I would highly recommend getting the CT angiogram was absolutely painless other than getting the IV and so accurate

REPLY
Profile picture for Unruptured C6 Aneurysms @dmetzy

@smilton
All good advice.

I have recently been diagnosed with Bilateral symmetric C6 ICA aneurysms. Right 8x7x6mm. Left 6x7x6mm. Does anyone else have similar?

I've spoken to a neurosurgeon who was fabulous - we went over treatment options (coiling / surgical clipping), I've decided to take the "watch and wait route" as the risk of rupture is .5% each (so in my case it would be 1% risk since I have two) but the risk of surgical complications is 3-5%.

Wondering if anyone else has had experience with this...

We will do another CT Angiogram in a year.

Jump to this post

@dmetzy I have 6mm ICA (behind my left eye). Have thought about getting angiogram. What was that like? Curious because I would like themto take a closer look but when I mentioned I would volunteer for angiogram, my nurse practioner said "You volunteered for that did you?" which made me suspicious. Let me know.

REPLY

On a CT scan ordered by an ENT Dr, they discovered an ACoA aneurysm 10 x 10 x 14 mm. It has been a month since the scan and I’ve yet to see the right neurosurgeon. Tuesday I finally get to see a Dr that can do the proper imaging and determine the course of action. I am worried and alone. My eyes are tired and feel heavy.

REPLY
Profile picture for jessica79 @jessica79

I have an unruptured 6mm berry brain aneurysm. It was diagnosed more than 9 years ago. The neurosurgeon now does a follow up MRI every 2 years to keep tabs on it. I’ve had the CT angiogram . The main thing is to try to live a normal life and not to live in fear. I keep tabs on my blood pressure and stress levels but otherwise try not to stress over it. Make sure you know symptoms of what to watch for…such as sudden severe headache, etc. I hope everything turns out well for you!

Jump to this post

@jessica79 you want to still enjoy life but slow down . Somebody should’ve given you a list of using jokes like how much weight not to pick up about stress yada yada yada. I’ve had two in my head for a year now, but with all my other crap going on in my body, I just realize that I’m not gonna be that person that lives to be 100 lol so I’ve accepted everything and do the best I can to enjoy my loved ones and have some fun myself

REPLY
Profile picture for lizheathmn @lizheathmn

I am not sure if I am in the right group or not? I ended up in the ER in late March for a bad headache, off balance, and double vision. They did two ct scans and an mri. They found a tumor and an aneurysm. The aneurysm is a M2 6 mm and the Tumor is a 1. 5.8 cm frontal brain mass crossing the midline, most suggestive of a low- grade glioma, but could also be a typical tumor or high-grade malignancy. They could not do surgery then b/c of the 800mg Motrin I had taken that morning. Wanted me to stay there for 7 days to get it out of my system. I decided to go home and then follow up with a neurosurgeon. Went for console a week later and the decided to get a second opinion b/c I wasn’t getting any answers answered. I was rushed in and out. My primary doctor referred me to the Brain and Spine Institute. The Doctor I saw there I liked a lot more. He wants me to have an Angiogram before surgery. He referred me to another doctor to have that done. I went for console on May 30th and have been waiting ever since for the office to call me with a date. For the last two and a half weeks I have called that office and his assistants number as well and haven’t been able to talk to anyone yet. I leave messages every time and get none in return. Ive asked the Brain Institute to please refer me to another dr. So I can get this done. Any suggestions are welcome. I am a 70 year old widow who lives alone and I’m very scared. My symptoms vary from day to day but my neck pain is crazy bad all the time. Thanks for reading

Jump to this post

@lizheathmn: The primary care physician who referred you to the Brain and Spine Institute should intercede on your behalf. Please contact him. I worry that the lack of response from the B & S Institute may indicate the kind of care you will get from that facility in general. So perhaps your PCP could refer you elsewhere (is there a teaching hospital associated with a university within a 2 hour radius?) and at the very least your PCP should call the B & S Institute to speed things up. Also, is your PCP aware that you are no longer taking Motrin? He should prescribe something else for your neck pain that won't interfere with you being scheduled for surgery.

REPLY
Profile picture for lizheathmn @lizheathmn

I am not sure if I am in the right group or not? I ended up in the ER in late March for a bad headache, off balance, and double vision. They did two ct scans and an mri. They found a tumor and an aneurysm. The aneurysm is a M2 6 mm and the Tumor is a 1. 5.8 cm frontal brain mass crossing the midline, most suggestive of a low- grade glioma, but could also be a typical tumor or high-grade malignancy. They could not do surgery then b/c of the 800mg Motrin I had taken that morning. Wanted me to stay there for 7 days to get it out of my system. I decided to go home and then follow up with a neurosurgeon. Went for console a week later and the decided to get a second opinion b/c I wasn’t getting any answers answered. I was rushed in and out. My primary doctor referred me to the Brain and Spine Institute. The Doctor I saw there I liked a lot more. He wants me to have an Angiogram before surgery. He referred me to another doctor to have that done. I went for console on May 30th and have been waiting ever since for the office to call me with a date. For the last two and a half weeks I have called that office and his assistants number as well and haven’t been able to talk to anyone yet. I leave messages every time and get none in return. Ive asked the Brain Institute to please refer me to another dr. So I can get this done. Any suggestions are welcome. I am a 70 year old widow who lives alone and I’m very scared. My symptoms vary from day to day but my neck pain is crazy bad all the time. Thanks for reading

Jump to this post

@lizheathmn - welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. You've been through quite a bit with your health recently.

You posted in this discussion, which is perfect for the aneurysm you mentioned:

- Unruptured Brain Aneurysm https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/unruptured-brain-aneurysm/.

For your tumor finding, you might want to check out this group and its many discussions:

- Brain Tumor Support Group https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/brain-tumor-support-group/. Members there can support as you learn more about your tumor and move into treatment, if appropriate.

What is the current plan for your aneurysm? Or is that yet to be determined?

REPLY
Please sign in or register to post a reply.