Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@doorman

Granted Effexor is a short half-life drug in the tablet form, but I take the XR form. Doesn’t this extend the half-life? I’m confused. I’m tapering of Effexor XR as we speak. I’m doing it by counting beads. I’ve only been on it since Aug. And I’m doing it slowly. 10% every 2-3 weeks. Does this sound OK?

Jump to this post

I did not find specific info re XR's and regular's half-lives, but did find this: "Effexor XR provides a slower rate of absorption, but the same extent of absorption compared with the immediate-release tablet." The XR version evens out the amount in your system over the course of the day; that may mean the half-life of some of the drug is extended, but that's probably just a few hours.

You will know if you are tapering too fast–withdrawal symptoms are the big tip off. Only you can decide if they're tolerable, or not. If not, the recommendation is to go back to the level where you felt good, stabilize at that dose for weeks (or even months) before tapering again (you may want to taper less than 10% from this point on).

I have been on Effexor for some months and so far it is helping; however, if you feel it is no longer effective then your primary care physician or neurologist should taper you off and try another medication.

@anne2019

I'm tapering too and I need help!! Been on Effexor for 15 years or more. Was on 37.5 for most of the time then got upped to 150mg. Tried weaning but couldn't stand the withdrawal symptoms. I was at 150mg for the last 6 years or so. I started weaning a few months ago. I was able to go from 150mg to 112.5mg (take a 75 and a 37.5mg). Did that for several weeks then went to 75mg only (did every other day 112.5 then 75 then 112.5 etc.). I'm now down to 37.5 but can't get past that without feeling terrible. This has been rough - dizzy, can't concentrate, diahrrhea, crazy mood swings from tears to irritability in a second, headaches, etc! Going with out anything (37.5 one day, nothing the next, 37.5 one day, nothing the next) felt awful. Tried that for 6 days. Then I tried taking the pill every 36 hours instead of going every 48 hours. Still very bad side effects. QUESTION: How do I taper from 37.5 with the capsule? Do you actually open it and take out the little beads? How many at a time? @texasduchess how do you reduce by 10%? Anyone - does the every other day without anything work? I would really appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you!

Jump to this post

Hello. First of all you WILL eventually ween off. Secondly, I believe you’re going too fast still, so give yourself some normalcy and take the 37.5 everyday. When you’re ready, yes. Take out some of those small beads.

I took out 5 beads each time I went down a level. I had zero side effects but it took about 18 months. What’s the hurry?

I did ok but after six months completely clean, I went on Zoloft and seroquel. (Both generic). I was too sick of not being happy and well, truth be told, I was buying and selling too much. My family was suffering and my doctor pointedly told me it is highly likely I am bipolar. And so now I take meds for it. And they’re working 🙂

Good luck and go easy on yourself.

@secretwhitepop

Hello. First of all you WILL eventually ween off. Secondly, I believe you’re going too fast still, so give yourself some normalcy and take the 37.5 everyday. When you’re ready, yes. Take out some of those small beads.

I took out 5 beads each time I went down a level. I had zero side effects but it took about 18 months. What’s the hurry?

I did ok but after six months completely clean, I went on Zoloft and seroquel. (Both generic). I was too sick of not being happy and well, truth be told, I was buying and selling too much. My family was suffering and my doctor pointedly told me it is highly likely I am bipolar. And so now I take meds for it. And they’re working 🙂

Jump to this post

Thanks for the good advice. I plan to stay on 37.5 for a few weeks before trying to taper more. And I will definitely taper slowly. 5 beads at a time sounds great! I got advise from my doctor about going every other day once I reached 37.5 so I was trying that. Turned out to be a very bad idea! After reading this blog and others I've realized that most regular PCP's don't understand how to do this properly. I will go super slow and take all the time I need. Thank you!!

I went too fast and suffered the consequences. I realized that I was not only having withdrawal symptoms but that depression was creeping in. I reinstated and now I'm going though an adjustment period which hopefully will be temporary. So please go slowly!

I am tapering off Effexor after 17 years and taking Lexapro at the same time to help with the symptoms. I know how difficult Effexor's side effects are if you should miss a dose; I noticed some symptoms are like migraine symptoms. I am experiencing mostly tiredness, pinpoint flashes of bright light, and craving sugar. I have had a general anxiety disorder since adolescence. On the bright side of tapering, I have noticed cognitively, I feel capable of full thought. I am going down to 37.5 in a few days and appreciate the feedback I have read on this site! Here is to all of us feeling better!

@secretwhitepop

Jump to this post

@secretwhitepop I am so glad to hear that you are doing well!

We cannot to it alone!
My gastroenterologist gave me more guidance than the prescribing physician! She told me not to think the stomach cramps were caused GI problems, but symptoms of withdrawal.

@clearview3

I am tapering off Effexor after 17 years and taking Lexapro at the same time to help with the symptoms. I know how difficult Effexor's side effects are if you should miss a dose; I noticed some symptoms are like migraine symptoms. I am experiencing mostly tiredness, pinpoint flashes of bright light, and craving sugar. I have had a general anxiety disorder since adolescence. On the bright side of tapering, I have noticed cognitively, I feel capable of full thought. I am going down to 37.5 in a few days and appreciate the feedback I have read on this site! Here is to all of us feeling better!

Jump to this post

I've been taking Effexor for 16 or 17 years. It stopped working 2 years ago. I've been weaning down from 300 mg of Effexor for over a year now. I'm at 37.5 every other day and it's been rough. Flu like symptoms and the electric shocks and of course anxiety. My plan has been wean down a step, hold steady at this dose for 4 weeks, then wean down again, hold stead for 4 weeks etc. I am taking a truck load of other meds to help with the weaning: Cymbalta, Buspirone and Gabapentin. They seem to help. At my current rate, I'll be off Effexor mid Feb 2020. Then hopefully drop some of these other meds after my body adjusts to the new normal. I imagine I'll be taking Cymbalta for like, ever. My problem is anxiety primarily but depression is a close second.

Try taking 37.5 daily to see if you improve. Then cut your daily dosage down instead of doing the every other day idea.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.