Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@lisa0878

I was put on heart meds called metoprolol to bring my heart rate down. If I was you I would go to the Er so they can bring it down. Our heart rate should never be over 100 or it starts doing damage to our heart I believe. I'm not a dr but that is what they told me. Especially when we r resting doing nothing anything over 100 is alarming to me. When I went to the Er they gave me ativan threw my iv which should normally bring it down but it was not helping me so they then put me on the metoporal which brought it down but now it's going back up so I'm going to the cardiologist on the 6th and he is probably gonna up my dose. Sweet jesus I never thought it would of been this hard to come off of effexor. I hope you do go get checked out. Please keep me informed. Today I was suffering all day with my head and its actually feeling better now but I had to take a xanax and motrin just to slow my mind down. I wish u luck and God bless

Jump to this post

Do your eyes bother you? Just wondering because my eyes are blurry.

@bd1323

First off, best of luck to you keep in mind how nice it will be to not be beholden to this junk! Second, interesting to hear you mention the BP and heart rate issues, same thing has been happening to me after trying to go to 75 from 150 a few weeks ago - so far symptoms are only piling on vs. getting better and latest has been a small 20%ish increase in diastolic BP and a huge jump in resting heart rate (64 normally, climbing over the last week, now 115-130 as of tonight) . trying to decide at what point I should head to the doctor - 140? 150? went from depressed the first several weeks to somewhat manic the last week - and that is not an issue I ever had prior to Effexor - just hoping the damage this stuff has done isn't permanent. Best of luck to you al and hang in there!

Jump to this post

@bd1323
I believe your withdrawal symptoms are only going to get worse if you continue to make 50% cuts. Is getting off Effexor fast really worth the misery it’s causing? I hope the 50% cuts weren’t your doctors idea. These symptoms may not soon resolve either so just in case be prepared. I hope you slow down your taper for your own good.
Good luck and please taper SLOWLY!!!
Jake

Thanks Jake, and yes was Dr.s idea - however from where I am standing if it is going to be miserable either way I'm leaning toward just getting it over with

@lisa0878

Do your eyes bother you? Just wondering because my eyes are blurry.

Jump to this post

Yes my vision has adjusted - I wear glasses/contacts and so mine is always a little blurry 🙂 but there is a noticeable change in my near vision being blurry

@lisa0878

I was put on heart meds called metoprolol to bring my heart rate down. If I was you I would go to the Er so they can bring it down. Our heart rate should never be over 100 or it starts doing damage to our heart I believe. I'm not a dr but that is what they told me. Especially when we r resting doing nothing anything over 100 is alarming to me. When I went to the Er they gave me ativan threw my iv which should normally bring it down but it was not helping me so they then put me on the metoporal which brought it down but now it's going back up so I'm going to the cardiologist on the 6th and he is probably gonna up my dose. Sweet jesus I never thought it would of been this hard to come off of effexor. I hope you do go get checked out. Please keep me informed. Today I was suffering all day with my head and its actually feeling better now but I had to take a xanax and motrin just to slow my mind down. I wish u luck and God bless

Jump to this post

Thank you for your concern, I'll stick it out for now and see what happens, plenty of ER bills from the past I still have to deal with 🙂 Surprised the Ativan didn't help, for all the bad rap they get - benzo's are at least effective in combating anxiety whereas SSRI's and SNRI's don't do jack for most people and come with these terrible side effects. Think happy thoughts and I understand that million mile an hour mind deal - we need to get the folks that are prescribing this crap to read these posts instead of the literature the Pharma companies give them

I’ll be 10 days off tomorrow and I feel great! More energy and not having any side effects after those first 5 days. I cry at little things but not in a bad way. It’s normal emotional things that can be cried at. It’s still weird because I ask myself at times if I took my meds but that is becoming less and I’m feeling free of this medicine. I’m so glad I made the decision to stop and never look back. It took me years of weening on my own with no set timetable until I finally felt like I was ready after being at 37.5 mg for a while. I never had anxiety or other issues and the reason I got on this medication was because of things happening in my life at the time.

@jakedduck1

@bd1323
I believe your withdrawal symptoms are only going to get worse if you continue to make 50% cuts. Is getting off Effexor fast really worth the misery it’s causing? I hope the 50% cuts weren’t your doctors idea. These symptoms may not soon resolve either so just in case be prepared. I hope you slow down your taper for your own good.
Good luck and please taper SLOWLY!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakeduck1
I agree with you 100%.
My new doc said that when I begin to reduce again, he wants to reduce by morning meds by 25%!
I know from experience, that is WAY TOO MUCH of a reduction!
Ronnie

@bd1323

Thanks Jake, and yes was Dr.s idea - however from where I am standing if it is going to be miserable either way I'm leaning toward just getting it over with

Jump to this post

@bd1323
Good Morning,
Please do not take that attitude of just getting it over with. Withdrawal does NOT have to be so difficult if you are willing to take your time and do it VERY, VERY SLOWLY.
I certainly am NOT in the medical field, but I've been on Effexor for more years that I can remember.
I am not looking to get off this drug, just to reduce the dosage to a 'minimal' amount to keep my anxiety under control (whatever that amount may be).
I've been doing it at a snails pace.
I was taking 2-75 mg in the morning and at night.
It took me from November to about April to reduce my evening pills to 1-75 mg.
I've had NO withdrawal effects.
I am now staying on this dosage throughout the summer.
I have things going on and I don't want to reduce just in case I do have some withdrawal.
I am giving my body time to get used to this new dosage in the evening and after the summer, I will use my process to reduce my morning dosage to 1-75 mg, too.
Take it SLOW because the results can be dangerous it you go too quickly!

Good luck with your decision!
And remember, this is not liking yanking off a band-aid (as far as just getting over with it)
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

@grandmar

@jakeduck1
I agree with you 100%.
My new doc said that when I begin to reduce again, he wants to reduce by morning meds by 25%!
I know from experience, that is WAY TOO MUCH of a reduction!
Ronnie

Jump to this post

@grandmar
I believe your absolutely right Ronnie. I wouldn’t chance a 25% cut either. Your way has been successful and withdrawal free. Isn’t that the ultimate goal? I don’t understand why a doctor would risk your well being by trying to change something that has worked so well. Although I can’t say your doctors way won’t work just as well but again, why take a chance with the unknown. I do believe it would be better to take Effexor daily but obviously you have shown there’s more than one way to skin a cat. You deserve a lot of credit and you certainly have my respect. Your showing others how to get off this medication withdrawal free. Patience and time equals a successful withdrawal free taper, seems like a no brainer to me.
Keep up the good work!!!
Jake

@bd1323

Jump to this post

@bd1323
It has been shown time and again that 50% cuts generally do not work, at least not for most patients. I don’t mean for this to sound cruel but withdrawals really are not necessary but an example of what happens when you take something away that you have made your brain dependent on. Your brain can’t adjust to the large abrupt changes your throwing at it. In my opinion if you want a smooth successful and effective taper you may need to increase your Effexor back to where you were symptom free and then reduce much much much slower. Your brain probably won’t even notice the SMALL! decreases and you’ll most likely be withdrawal symptom free.
Wishing you the best,
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.