Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@secretwhitepop

What does depersonalization mean?

Jump to this post

@secretwhitepop
I have Epilepsy and depersonalization symptoms are not that uncommon. However Depersonalization Disorder is quite rare. To a certain extent a part of it (To me) is like Deja Vu which sometimes happens before or after a seizure where you feel as though your looking at a situation from the outside looking in. Instead of the experience being a new experience it’s kinda like your brain is in replay mode. I’m sorry, I know what’s its like but putting it into words is alluding me.
Although you you feel you are there, at the same time you feel detached from the situation and the feelings seem stronger yet unreal.
I remember some experiences where I should have felt a lot of emotion but I didn’t. To some degree it’s like a dream state.
Okay this isn’t going well. I just can’t spit it out.
Excellent question though, just hard for me to define.
Jake

@brightwings

@searchgirl
Good for you...healthy attitude.
Now quit flip flopping, decide on something and do it. If that doesn't work, do something else. It's only an action that change things.
Encouraging you, Bright Wings
Have you tried CBD yet. My guts say this will help. We have a group here for that too.

Jump to this post

I love CBDs and believe they have a good place in this world. I’ll be relying on them a bit as they have helped me also. I’m not a stranger to cannabis ( yes, I’m in Canada) so hopefully it won’t compete with my withdrawal...thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

@brightwings

@BUBS
Go to your search engine and Google that exact sentence. You will learn what you are looking for.
You can find any answer that way.
Enjoy the world wide web, but don't get lost there, we like you...BW

Jump to this post

Will do. Just wanted to make sure it meant the same thing in this situation as in the regular world. Ha! Meanwhile, anxiety if rearing it’s hyper, ADD head, yelled at my kid, can’t focus and just found out how they sneak aspartame in kids gum! Not even the sugar free stuff! I’m livid! It’s so horrid for people but worse for kids! I’m on a tirade and I bet it’s because I’ve been so busy I haven’t meditated or taken care of myself. Sigh.

This too shall pass - and in a year will be utterly unimportant...

BUBS

@jakedduck1

@secretwhitepop
I have Epilepsy and depersonalization symptoms are not that uncommon. However Depersonalization Disorder is quite rare. To a certain extent a part of it (To me) is like Deja Vu which sometimes happens before or after a seizure where you feel as though your looking at a situation from the outside looking in. Instead of the experience being a new experience it’s kinda like your brain is in replay mode. I’m sorry, I know what’s its like but putting it into words is alluding me.
Although you you feel you are there, at the same time you feel detached from the situation and the feelings seem stronger yet unreal.
I remember some experiences where I should have felt a lot of emotion but I didn’t. To some degree it’s like a dream state.
Okay this isn’t going well. I just can’t spit it out.
Excellent question though, just hard for me to define.
Jake

Jump to this post

I appreciate your response and I think I understand what you mean. I have something sometimes, but it’s not like I’m detached from myself, looking in, its different. It’s like suddenly whatever anyone is doing, I suddenly get the feeling (or actually know) that they don’t want to do it. (Hard to explain). Like I’ll be listening to the radio and suddenly I’ll hear it like (for example) Michael Jackson doesn’t really want to sing this song but he just has to so he can make his album. Like everything in the world is phony. It’s the weirdest thing! Like we are all puppets having to play a role. Maybe it actually is “depersonalization” and I come at it differently. But I definitely have felt something weird that I’ve tried to explain to people. Oh! Like the Truman Show. That movie!

@secretwhitepop

Will do. Just wanted to make sure it meant the same thing in this situation as in the regular world. Ha! Meanwhile, anxiety if rearing it’s hyper, ADD head, yelled at my kid, can’t focus and just found out how they sneak aspartame in kids gum! Not even the sugar free stuff! I’m livid! It’s so horrid for people but worse for kids! I’m on a tirade and I bet it’s because I’ve been so busy I haven’t meditated or taken care of myself. Sigh.

This too shall pass - and in a year will be utterly unimportant...

BUBS

Jump to this post

BUBS
Breathe, just breathe....
BW

@brightwings

BUBS
Breathe, just breathe....
BW

Jump to this post

Thanks. Sometimes that’s all I got! My daughter made her first communion today and I cried over every little emotional thing. The poor kid! She probably thinks her mom is a nut. And I am. Thinking about so much that could have been if dad didn’t die and mom didn’t have Alzheimer’s and if I never married my first husband 30 years ago!... yeah, I tend to go down rabbit holes at times! And also, yes, I am an older mom - through adoption 🙂

Life takes so many twists and turns. I need not resist. I need to breathe and accept.

@secretwhitepop

Thanks. Sometimes that’s all I got! My daughter made her first communion today and I cried over every little emotional thing. The poor kid! She probably thinks her mom is a nut. And I am. Thinking about so much that could have been if dad didn’t die and mom didn’t have Alzheimer’s and if I never married my first husband 30 years ago!... yeah, I tend to go down rabbit holes at times! And also, yes, I am an older mom - through adoption 🙂

Life takes so many twists and turns. I need not resist. I need to breathe and accept.

Jump to this post

That's the ticket Bubbs. Go with the flow....
It has gotten me a very long way. I am proud of all my hard work for a good life. I am proud of you too.
Smiling at a motherly feeling Bright Wings

@secretwhitepop

Jump to this post

How interesting you are an older mom thru adoption. My new old friend is adopting her 2 great great grandchildren. Age 4 and 17 months. Moms a meth head.
How very exciting for you.
Bright Wings

Please sign in or register to post a reply.