Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@sandij

@grandmar what a great reminder. On the days I feel like I am going crazy or I'm not normal, I have to stop that thought, ignore my mind, and say "this is not me, this is the drug, this is withdrawal, this is temporary, this is part of my wave" (I've learned that according to HDS, my inner authority is emotional and its imperative for me to wait for clarity..I know that's off topic). We are all very strong and courageous, let's give ourself credit for that today! Thank you so much for all your contributions here.

Jump to this post

@sandij
Thank you and you are welcome!

@brightwings

@farmboy
Please come check in with us.
Bright Wings

Jump to this post

I was just going to post the same thing!

@cristin1

I was just going to post the same thing!

Jump to this post

Great minds think alike! BW

@sandij

Completely possible to develop any kind of weird side effect such as you describe even after being on the medication for a long time.
In regards to CBD I use it for fibromyalgia pain, I have to stay vigilant with it every day for it to make a difference. Cant say for sure if it affects my energy levels at all, but my level of pain certainly affects my energy.
Brain zaps. Honestly, I have either a. Never experienced one or b. Never recognized or identified it as such. I do however experience what I call little episodes of dizziness, a head buzz not unlike how I feel when I am extremely overly tired, or vertigo from standing up too fast. Maybe that's a brain zap, but if it is, i have been lucky because they arent debilitating for me. I know many people experience horrible brain zaps and I'm sure you will get a lot of tips from them here.
My daily regimen includes omega 3 and vitamin D. Some CBD products maybe 500 or 1000 mg, protein, carbs that arent enriched with b vitamins or folic acid as I have MTHFR mutation (most people do!) and take methylated B/folate. Practice acceptance and commitment therapy. Water. Epsom salt baths for relaxation and magnesium. Sleep.
You can do this. Many have gone through it and lived to tell the tale. You won't die over it although sometimes you think you will. You've got a great trip coming up to look forward to and you will be feeling great by then. Glad you found us!

Jump to this post

Thank you. I used to call the brain zap my "head buzzing" until I went online and heard it termed brain zap or brain shiver. I really appreciate your response. Not a clue about carbs without B or folic acid but will investigate.

@sandij

This is perfect.

Jump to this post

I love it....Bright Wings

Oh my gosh, I just got the BEST Blessing. You remember, I almost died from cold inside my rental house around Valentines day.
I have been looking for a new place to live but because I have been disabled since age 42, (68 now) my social disability income while high for the Ozarks, doesn't provide enough to come up with the high deposits necessary to move.
The lady that runs the senior center in this new town, told me about a government program for seniors or disabled folks who rent to get a portion of the taxes the owner pays on their property to be returned to the renter.
So for 2018, I am getting $682 back for 1 year alone. She can file 3 years for me...
Oh my gosh, this is such a huge blessing for me. And I was only paying $350 a month for my 2 bedroom place.
Oh, my gosh, this is going to relieve so much worry and stress. I am so grateful.
Bright Wings

@betsyjane

Newbie on board and on Connect. Was searching for remedies for the brain zap that comes with Effexor reduction/withdrawal.

I was prescribed Effexor 75 mg daily nearly 20 years ago, following a series of panic attacks and a trial with other drugs. I haven't had panic attacks in nearly that many years and have long felt maybe I don't need the medication. I self-reduced to taking 75 mg every other day about a year ago in an effort to wean myself off. I don't recall any problems at all.

Finally spoke with my physician about it recently and was advised to take 37.5 mg every other dose - which is every 4th day - and continue to take 75 mg every other dose - again, every 4th day. He commented that after about a month of this, I ought to be able to quit completely. I don't think so! From the beginning of the reduced dosage, I have had symptoms - the most unbearable one being the brain zap or shiver. Comes close to making me feel non-functional, but perhaps I exaggerate. I have browsed the many, many messages on this board for suggestions and found some that I'll try. I am intrigued with the suggestion of CBD and would like to hear other information and experiences with its use. If it will alleviate the brain zaps, I'll get some. I have heard that it may cause drowsiness. Has anyone found this to be true? I also noted that certain carbs (forget how it was termed) are helpful. Elucidation on that would also be appreciated. I love my carbs but maybe I'm not eating enough or enough of the right kind. I have decreased appetite and get full quickly, thanks to hiatal hernia surgery 4 months ago and perhaps my gastric ulcers as well.

As other info, I have had an "interesting" swelling of the lips and intermittent mouth "sores" and rawness (not canker sores apparently) since the end of November. In an attempt to address whatever is causing this, almost every prescription I was taking has been changed (without relief yet). It has been speculated that perhaps a sensitivity to Effexor has arisen. Does this sound cuckoo after so many years taking it? Does it sound plausible? It is an additional reason I decided to wean myself off of Effexor. At least one physician thought Effexor could be the culprit.

I look forward to the day when these withdrawal symptoms disappear. I have a life to live and have plans for an overseas trip in 3 months. I certainly want to be feeling better - any day now!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jump to this post

@betsyjane
Have your doctors ruled out hand-foot-and-mouth disease? It's a mild, contagious viral infection characterized by sores in the mouth and a rash on the hands and feet. Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is most commonly caused by a coxsackievirus. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20353035

@texasduchess
As I have been sitting here saving energy, I have been going back and reading starting posts.
Wow, I knew you had good stuff to recommend, but I didn't know the half of it till I went back and skimmed most of your posts.
Let me say, I am impressed with your incredible journey and the knowledge you have and share in 7 different group.
I thought hoof and mouth disease was for animals, not people. I am going to have to Google that one. I have a brain that needs to be fed everyday.
My hat is off to you. Bright Wings

Please sign in or register to post a reply.