Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@nancy54

@dickygray. Yes! We can get off this! I’m doing better - I’m taking 25 mg cut in 1/2. Taking 1/2 of the 25 in a.m. and the other half in evening. That was a smart move by my dr. Now I’m having less of the nasty withdrawal. I’m going to take it super slowly. I take 5,000 ofVitamin D because I also live in a cloudy place. I’m not averse to going onto something else but nothing with this difficulty of weaning. Simply evil!!

Jump to this post

@nancy54
I only have 75 mg extended release capsules. I wish I could cut them in half, but I've always been told not to break open meds that are time released. Today is my 12th day at the lower dosage. My head is splitting, and I'm nauseous. I want to throw the rest in the garbage! But I will take it for at least a few more days.

@brightcloud

@nancy54
I only have 75 mg extended release capsules. I wish I could cut them in half, but I've always been told not to break open meds that are time released. Today is my 12th day at the lower dosage. My head is splitting, and I'm nauseous. I want to throw the rest in the garbage! But I will take it for at least a few more days.

Jump to this post

@brightcloud
If you can open up the capsule you could put some in applesauce. You can buy empty capsules too.
Sorry about your headache.
Jake

@brightcloud

@nancy54

Jump to this post

Stay longer at your lower dose. Your symptoms will lessen. They have to lessen because the meds are at a lower level. Be patient with your body. Take as long as it takes to keep symptoms tolerable. Only go down again when the headaches and nausea are either gone or almost gone. That’s my 2 cents!

@jakedduck1

@brightcloud
If you can open up the capsule you could put some in applesauce. You can buy empty capsules too.
Sorry about your headache.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1
Thank you for being sympathetic. I'm going to open one capsule and take a look at what is inside. You are the 2nd person who recommended this. Stay tuned...

@nancy54

Stay longer at your lower dose. Your symptoms will lessen. They have to lessen because the meds are at a lower level. Be patient with your body. Take as long as it takes to keep symptoms tolerable. Only go down again when the headaches and nausea are either gone or almost gone. That’s my 2 cents!

Jump to this post

Thank you!

@brightcloud

@jakedduck1
Thank you for being sympathetic. I'm going to open one capsule and take a look at what is inside. You are the 2nd person who recommended this. Stay tuned...

Jump to this post

I successfully tapered off by opening the XR capsules, counting beads, and making a schedule to cut the number I took. I haven't responded to any of these recent posts because some folks on this forum are totally opposed to doing that and I didn't want the hassle. But it worked for me. It took several months and some online research about the number of beads in an XR dosage -- you can google to get that information -- and I took supplements, too, but it worked. Good luck!

@kbmayo- These chemicals are so tough to get off of I do believe that if you can do it safely and with your doctors say so (if possible) then go for it.. Please do not worry about what others oppose doing. You have a right to make comments and voice your story and opinions as much as anyone else.

@kbmayo

I successfully tapered off by opening the XR capsules, counting beads, and making a schedule to cut the number I took. I haven't responded to any of these recent posts because some folks on this forum are totally opposed to doing that and I didn't want the hassle. But it worked for me. It took several months and some online research about the number of beads in an XR dosage -- you can google to get that information -- and I took supplements, too, but it worked. Good luck!

Jump to this post

I'm am also currently tapering this way. You can buy empty capsules at health food/supplement stores and divide your doses

That's what I did. The counting and dividing is so very tedious, but it was worth it!

Looks like I'll be staying at 75 mg for a while. I've been on this dosage for about a month now, with no major wd symptoms, but today I'm really dizzy on top of some nausea. Bearable but definitely a message to hang out at this amount till things stabilize. Good luck to all of you on this journey, we can do this thing.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.