Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@texasduchess

@neros
@kbmayo
@youngsally
I am so glad that your withdrawals were not that bad, or at least tolerable. Harvard physician Joseph Glenmullen, MD, writes, “78 percent stopping Effexor (venlafaxine) have withdrawal reactions ....” A survey by the manufacturer of Effexor shows that at least 35% of patients experience antidepressant withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking Effexor. (Note: Adverse reactions can be minimized by tapering off the drug. Stopping cold turkey can be very dangerous--to the point of life-threatening.)

Unfortunately, you can't tell before you start the quitting process if you're going to be one of the lucky ones to not be too bothered by withdrawal. I tapered off very slowly from only 25mg. I was fine for 6.5 weeks afterwards. Then, I started having all the withdrawal symptoms including akathisia; I think it took that long for my body to find and use up all the Effexor stored in my adipose tissues (fat). It is now six months after my last minimal dose of Effexor and I still have issues. If I had known that I'd be in for such a long haul towards recovery, I'd have stayed on Effexor even though my hot flashes were well passed. I told my doctor, "My husband and I have been married 38 years. In sickness and in health. In money, or without. But, I am not too sure about through Effexor withdrawal."

Jump to this post

I can't get off Effexor on my own. I'm 120 pounds, taking 150 mg/day. I've been taking 75 mg day 4 a few weeks, but now the rages are back. Serious rages. Homicidal rages. So had to go back up to 150 mg. I need to switch doctors to switch meds.

I get it. My regular doctor is a useless POS. She gave me 15 lorzapams and . The said if I couldn't make do with this over 3 months then I should go back on effexor. FUCK her. Im so angry. No support. I am clean now for 23 days, and still fighting. My anxieties appear at bedtime.

@catamite

I get it. My regular doctor is a useless POS. She gave me 15 lorzapams and . The said if I couldn't make do with this over 3 months then I should go back on effexor. FUCK her. Im so angry. No support. I am clean now for 23 days, and still fighting. My anxieties appear at bedtime.

Jump to this post

Hi all! I made it! My case has been re-opened and my insurance reinstated. And my sript filled. I will cross this line again when it is time to quit. But I will be able to do so comfortably with all the information I have gained through this thread.

Thank you everyone who was so kind in words, prayers and heart. As chronically depressed people, it is the true condolences that mean the most.

@stlouisgmajenn

I can't get off Effexor on my own. I'm 120 pounds, taking 150 mg/day. I've been taking 75 mg day 4 a few weeks, but now the rages are back. Serious rages. Homicidal rages. So had to go back up to 150 mg. I need to switch doctors to switch meds.

Jump to this post

Hi, @stlouisgmajenn - so sorry to hear you had these serious rages when you tapered to the 75 mg dose of venlafaxine (Effexor). Are you feeling better now that you went back up to 150 mg?

@lisainaz

Hi all! I made it! My case has been re-opened and my insurance reinstated. And my sript filled. I will cross this line again when it is time to quit. But I will be able to do so comfortably with all the information I have gained through this thread.

Thank you everyone who was so kind in words, prayers and heart. As chronically depressed people, it is the true condolences that mean the most.

Jump to this post

Hey, I am so happy to hear that you are back on track. Maybe a bunch of us can make a start day and taper really slow. Like take a year. I have read on other sites about people who have been successful with a slow approach. Take care John/Virginia Beach

@texasduchess

@neros
@kbmayo
@youngsally
I am so glad that your withdrawals were not that bad, or at least tolerable. Harvard physician Joseph Glenmullen, MD, writes, “78 percent stopping Effexor (venlafaxine) have withdrawal reactions ....” A survey by the manufacturer of Effexor shows that at least 35% of patients experience antidepressant withdrawal symptoms when they stop taking Effexor. (Note: Adverse reactions can be minimized by tapering off the drug. Stopping cold turkey can be very dangerous--to the point of life-threatening.)

Unfortunately, you can't tell before you start the quitting process if you're going to be one of the lucky ones to not be too bothered by withdrawal. I tapered off very slowly from only 25mg. I was fine for 6.5 weeks afterwards. Then, I started having all the withdrawal symptoms including akathisia; I think it took that long for my body to find and use up all the Effexor stored in my adipose tissues (fat). It is now six months after my last minimal dose of Effexor and I still have issues. If I had known that I'd be in for such a long haul towards recovery, I'd have stayed on Effexor even though my hot flashes were well passed. I told my doctor, "My husband and I have been married 38 years. In sickness and in health. In money, or without. But, I am not too sure about through Effexor withdrawal."

Jump to this post

You are absolutely right - one doesn't know how they will be affected by a taper...and it is not knowing when the symptoms will stop that is completely exasperating. It's really awful that you are still experiencing problems six months out...but hopefully for you (and your husband) things will settle down over time. A number of people suggest a prozac bridge....have you spoken to your MD about that? In my case I am taking a low (5mg) dose of lexapro - but that is because my depression symptoms are not gone - but the effexor wasn't helping. It's only been a week, but the lexapro has tamped down some of the negative side effects of the effexor withdrawal (or I've been fortunate enough to get through the effexor stuff).

@neros

I’ve read the stories of Effexor withdrawal in this thread with interest. I’m on day 5 now after discontinuing Effexor after 8 years of 75 mg. I went to 37.5 for about a month and now to zero. All I’ve noticed so far is a bit of tingling from time to time and a few strange dreams. However, I’d say it’s been less troublesome than a common cold. It looks to me like Effexor affects people very differently - as I suppose is true of most medication. Anyways, I thought I’d add my experience to the discussion in case it is helpful for some to know that horrible withdrawal symptoms is not the case every time.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the post. Good to hear of mild to minor symptoms. The risk of posting mostly horrible symptoms is that the impression people can get is that all cases are that way

@markus1

I can't thank you enough, I was on pristiq for a year, which was absolutely fabulous,.. Until my work insurance wouldn't cover it, and my Physician told me they will probably cover Effexor xl, he said it basically the same thing (um no),.. Although it has "venaflaxin" in its name.... Not the same drug at all,.. I've Been on the Effexor xl for about two months now, and I do not feel good at all, very tired, I don't sleep, my "drive" for life is gone,.. I feel (for me) this is a terrible drug,.. Now I just want to get off of it as soon as possible,.. Maybe even "cold turkey", as I'm only on 75mg,..amd for only two months,.. I was wondering what you think?, (yes I did read what you had written, which is/was very helpful),.. But I'm still unsure, lol... If that makes sense,... I also wanted to state to you,. I'm assuming your situation may be better than mine,.. But you really should inquire a out the "PRISTIQ",. I can say in all honesty, that, it is very well received, by myself, and an acociate of mine, nothing but good things about it,. And what I've read as well,.. Take care, hope all is well 🙂

Jump to this post

The public is led to believe that formulary drugs and genetics are equal. The power of legalspeak and slight of hand is just as powerful in pharma as anywhere else. The other ingredients in genetics are not the same and may or may not act in a neutral fashion for a great number of people.

Drugs are under the jurisdiction of the FDA and this reality makes it clear you have to see which side of the mouth the industry and government is speaking out of. The newest therapy, stem cell (god forbid advocated for mental health) is not regulated by FDA and proponents can say WHATEVER they like. It is truly the Wild West of therapies and lack of proof and control.

My point, when it comes to your health, especially mental health, one must dig deeply and challenge assumptions for proof, not anecdotal proof.

@stlouisgmajenn

Jump to this post

Noooo. Definitely don’t try on your own. Tried twice and experienced the unstoppable rages. Think low dose withdrawals over a long period of time plus finding strategies like cognitive based mindfulness, meditation and stress reduction to offset some of the triggers. I’ve been withdrawing for a year but that is long and that’s me with family,

Others have been able to rid themselves of it with less protracted effort and that shows it can be done. For others, however, symptoms like flash rage is a clear signal that our brain chemistry doesn’t like the abrupt change and can’t keep level.

I agree that a different md is worth checking. It’s not necessarily a slight against them nor is it answer shopping. Instead, it’s finding a well qualified physician acquainted with neurobehavior and psychotropics. Doctors disagree with one another all the time. You simply need to feel comfortable finding one to help you remove a destructive element from your medical circumstances. You can always challenge a doc by asking why you need to remain on a particular medicine that is terrible for your quality of life.

@youngsally

You are absolutely right - one doesn't know how they will be affected by a taper...and it is not knowing when the symptoms will stop that is completely exasperating. It's really awful that you are still experiencing problems six months out...but hopefully for you (and your husband) things will settle down over time. A number of people suggest a prozac bridge....have you spoken to your MD about that? In my case I am taking a low (5mg) dose of lexapro - but that is because my depression symptoms are not gone - but the effexor wasn't helping. It's only been a week, but the lexapro has tamped down some of the negative side effects of the effexor withdrawal (or I've been fortunate enough to get through the effexor stuff).

Jump to this post

@youngsally
A Prozac bridge is used while tapering off Effexor; I'm not sure that it would be helpful six months after the last dose of Effexor. If anyone on here has experience with Prozac under circumstances like mine, please let me know if the Prozac bridge worked this far out.

The supplement regimen I've adopted keeps me feeling normal most of the time and I am hopeful that I'll be able to taper off these as well. In the meantime, I do use Valium as needed when akathisia starts and my oncologist (who prescribed the Effexor for hot flashes) is working with me.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.