Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

I've been on Venlafaxine for six weeks now. Due to side effects my doctor is having me go off of the meds. I was taking 75mg daily, and I'm on day 5 of 7 days taking 50mg. I feel very dizzy, it's hard to focus,tired because I keep waking up at night. Is this normal symptoms with going off of this medication?

So if u open the red effexor xr 150 mg there is roughly 175 white balls. Dont chew. So theoretically if u divided the 150mg by 175 balls of medication u would get .857 mg of effexor. Most balls are the same size but some r slightly larger. Now basically this is a tedious process counting the balls.(digital scale that reads 100ths) And different manufacturers and higher doses must be taken in the consideration. But the theroy behind the ball mg doses should stay constent. Then u have to realize this one of the most potetent mood altering drugs on the market. Theoretical this drug could be effective if u find the right dosage and critic ur life still and habits to that doseage. Now this is not easy to do. And no one can figure it out for u. Its trial and error. U would have to take extensive notatian of all ur feelings eating bowel movment blood pressure to the t on every dosage for a long period to come to a conclusion. Because every change in mood can not be attributed to one variable. Now u probably got put on this medication as a last resort i hope. Also environmental factors come into play. Your looking for an answer that cant be completely resolved by medication. A suggestion would be too look at the underlying causes of ur anxiety. Now saying that u doctor can only know so much about ur past or genetic predisposition. If u have a family member that takes the same drug u might think it will work for u. A doctor only has an allotted time to see each patient. Which leaves them to make an educated decision on what might work for you. they are not a therapist. This is a life long journey. But basically take it in stride. U can not control everything. You might try many drugs throughout ur life but really there is no perfect life for anyone. Find something that works well with little as possible side effects take out stress factors and do your best to stay health that is paramount. So basically with the effexor with what i have said do what i makes u feel right. The slower u taper the better u will have rebound depression and anxiety. As said before these r ur underlying issues through this process see what helps those problems. These may be the beginning of ur realization that there are ways to help these issues. Try and make this positive. If u dwell on the negative well... But u will need medication so u might go through this process several times. If i had the answer i would be rich but the show must go on. Probably some typos and grammatical errors but u get the idea. STAY AWAY FROM CAFFEINE IF U HAVE PSYCHIATRIST ISSUES ITS JUST A CRUTCH U DONT REALLY NEED it. good luck.

@121314
Good question, I should have mentioned it earlier. There are 5 types of Vitamin D,- D, D1, D2, D3, D4 but our bodies only use D2 & D3. Clinical trials show that D3 is superior to D2. Newer studies now show D3 is twice as effective as D2 probably because it binds to proteins better. My problem is I took two of the worst Anticonvulsants for getting rid of Vitamin D Dilantin and Phenobarbital. These drugs increase activity of enzymes in the liver which causes Vitamin D to be broken down into inactive forms of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is absorbed
In the intestines but Thyroid problems hinder that absorption. Some researchers believe people 65 and over are all in need of Vitamin D to help fight off disease. Another important fact regarding Vitamin D is adequate levels D helps reduce adverse reactions of some meds. Vitamin D has many vital functions to keep us healthy and should not be ignored.
Most people don’t understand the sun and vit D which is confusing to me but you only need about 15 minutes in sun several times a day but the angle of the sun is vital and other factors like pollution, clouds, sun screen, cloths etc. Also only UVB rays can be used by the body. If your in a car or sitting in the sun behind any glass it won’t help. UVA rays go through glass but only age your skin. Whenever your in the sun and your shadow is shorter than you are your in luck. But don’t overdue it. Eat healthy and eat foods fortified with vit D. Always ask your doctor if a new or current prescription is going to affect you Vit D levels.

Took me 6 full months but I am finally off the demon drug! DO NOT go cold turkey! Even after tapering I had some residual affects like vertigo, nausea, etc. Trying to go cold turkey years ago landed me in the hospital! After 15 years I am Effexor free!!

@sunflowermom4

I've been on Venlafaxine for six weeks now. Due to side effects my doctor is having me go off of the meds. I was taking 75mg daily, and I'm on day 5 of 7 days taking 50mg. I feel very dizzy, it's hard to focus,tired because I keep waking up at night. Is this normal symptoms with going off of this medication?

Jump to this post

Vertigo is definitely a symptom of withdrawal. Take it slow, it will subside if you are tapering slowly!

@brightwings

@terra, @fallenangel13
Bright wings here, my last Effexor was March 14th but I had been reducing my med since last summer.
1. Please, please go out this am and find a vape shop or a hippie shop. Do yourselves a huge favor and get CBD oil at least 200 mg on the front of the bottle. IT WILL CUT YOUR SYMPTOMS IN HALF. I take 50 mg 3 times a day and I will take this for the rest of my life. It makes me feel much better and better yet, it makes my 8 year old dog dance like a puppy. I will also give it to my dog for the rest of its life. I have to say, I am 67 and firmly thought this was just hippee poop. IT IS NOT!
2. TAKE your extended release capsules and break them open. Then start reducing how many beads you take each day. It is a much kinder way to get off this drug. If you do a search here for @coloradogirl she is the one who shared this tremendous tip. Just click on her name. Then follow her tips.
I wish you well, smiling at you, Bright Wings

Jump to this post

Took me 6 months to taper off 150 ER...best thing I ever did!! And I second the CBD oil!

Excellent advice from one who's been there

I have been taking Effexor for 17 years. Presently at 150 mg daily. Attempted to come off once before and got down to 75 mg and then back up to 150 mg after a bad period. Thinking about trying to wean off the drug once again after reading other people's crticism of it and am worried about the possible long term damage it may cause.
I have found the drug did help with the depression and anxiety/panic attacks. But as situations have changed, thinking I may not require it any more. If I am late taking it, I know physically as I start to get the classic symptoms of nausea, diarrhea, headaches, achiness etc. I take it in the evening due to fasting in the morning. And if I forget, dreams can be brutal. Any suggestions? Certainly am not going to go cold turkey. Any one with experience weaning themselves off after so many years of taking the drug?

I just weaned off after 15 years. I went from 150 in 6 months. I went to 125, 112, 100, 75, 50...took it very slowly.

Im going off really slowly. I was on 300mg. Today i have dropped to 262.5 for 2 weeks, 225 for 2 weeks, 187.5 for 2 weeks, 150 for 4 weeks, 112.5 for 2 weeks, 75mg for 2 weeks, 37.5mg for 3 weeks. Anyone gone off it at this rate? Im not sure how other doctors do it, but mine is trying it like this. Any advice, i already have a headache 🙁

Please sign in or register to post a reply.