Invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC): Time till surgery?

Posted by frogjumper @frogjumper, Dec 10, 2022

My diagnosis was on 11/4/22 of IDC Grade 1 ER+ HR-negative. Very slow growing according to my surgeon and mammo says this…
Within the LEFT breast at 2:00, 4-5 cm from the nipple, there is an irregular densely shadowing hypoechoic mass with
adjacent (up to approximately 1 cm away) satellite masses; overall mass/satellites in aggregate extend 3.5 cm on anti-radial
plane of scanning. The largest discrete mass measures 1.4 cm. No additional suspicious lesion in the radian.

Is this considered Luminal, due to the term spiculatd on my mammogram.

My original surgery was scheduled for 1/4 it has been moved to 2/6, should i be worried about that? Should i have picked the earlier dates, they offered. I feel like i made a bad choice.

Appreciate anyones thoughts on this, and thanks in advance for your help!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@frogjumper (I like your username 🙂 ), welcome. These types of decisions can be so fraught with second guessing, can't they. Keep in mind that a low grade number (grade 1) usually means the cancer is slower-growing and less likely to spread. If you are worried about delaying surgery until February, call the surgeon's office on Monday to see if the early dates are still available.

I'm tagging fellow IDC-ers like @trixie1313 @sequoia @anjalima @beestrong @windyshores @elliej @bellabreast3 @fancynance @tenayalake86 @callalloo and others to share their experiences.

While we wait for others to join here, you may also be interested in this related discussion:
– Invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC): Anyone else? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/invasive-duct-ca/

REPLY
@colleenyoung

@frogjumper (I like your username 🙂 ), welcome. These types of decisions can be so fraught with second guessing, can't they. Keep in mind that a low grade number (grade 1) usually means the cancer is slower-growing and less likely to spread. If you are worried about delaying surgery until February, call the surgeon's office on Monday to see if the early dates are still available.

I'm tagging fellow IDC-ers like @trixie1313 @sequoia @anjalima @beestrong @windyshores @elliej @bellabreast3 @fancynance @tenayalake86 @callalloo and others to share their experiences.

While we wait for others to join here, you may also be interested in this related discussion:
– Invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC): Anyone else? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/invasive-duct-ca/

Jump to this post

Thank you, yes! I feel like they are going to hate me on Monday morning when I call. I was trying to get this surgery done because i am going out of town the last week of January. I think even the 12th I can still make my trip and it's all behind me instead of going and knowing I am going home to surgery, and I can lay all this worry to rest and know what I am dealing with one way or the other.

REPLY

I was diagnosed Jan 4 and had surgery on Feb 15. That said I was having undiagnosed symptoms since October 2021 and tumors unfortunately not found until January… so in the end it was 4 mos after we should have known … and grade 2.

It’s likely not a problem or your surgeon would have encouraged the earlier date . If it’s too much waiting on your part you can try for the earlier date.

Best 🌸

REPLY
@colleenyoung

@frogjumper (I like your username 🙂 ), welcome. These types of decisions can be so fraught with second guessing, can't they. Keep in mind that a low grade number (grade 1) usually means the cancer is slower-growing and less likely to spread. If you are worried about delaying surgery until February, call the surgeon's office on Monday to see if the early dates are still available.

I'm tagging fellow IDC-ers like @trixie1313 @sequoia @anjalima @beestrong @windyshores @elliej @bellabreast3 @fancynance @tenayalake86 @callalloo and others to share their experiences.

While we wait for others to join here, you may also be interested in this related discussion:
– Invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC): Anyone else? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/invasive-duct-ca/

Jump to this post

Hey Frogjumper!
I know how anxious you may be considering your waiting time presurgery. I agree with Colleen, step up and get your surgery as quickly as able. My waiting time was fraught with anxiety over so many unknowns. No one understands (unless they are diagnosed with bc) how unsettling and stressful the waiting becomes, even as we proceed with testing and scheduling. Remember, we are our best advocates. Blessings😘

REPLY
@frogjumper

Thank you, yes! I feel like they are going to hate me on Monday morning when I call. I was trying to get this surgery done because i am going out of town the last week of January. I think even the 12th I can still make my trip and it's all behind me instead of going and knowing I am going home to surgery, and I can lay all this worry to rest and know what I am dealing with one way or the other.

Jump to this post

Ate you having a mastectomy? I don’t know the details of your situation but I think it’s unlikely that you would be able to travel very far so soon after surgery. Of course Your surgeon would have to clear that. I could not for 6 weeks after unilateral mastectomy. The healing is a process.

Hope your choices work out well for you. 🌸

REPLY
@anjalima

Ate you having a mastectomy? I don’t know the details of your situation but I think it’s unlikely that you would be able to travel very far so soon after surgery. Of course Your surgeon would have to clear that. I could not for 6 weeks after unilateral mastectomy. The healing is a process.

Hope your choices work out well for you. 🌸

Jump to this post

The surgery is a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. I would have to have someone help with luggage because of lifting restrictions but that's why they invented the handy sister travel mate 🙂 And just for the record just having someone do that for me is very foreign to me. I've always been stubbornly independent and I suck at asking for help.

REPLY
@frogjumper

The surgery is a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. I would have to have someone help with luggage because of lifting restrictions but that's why they invented the handy sister travel mate 🙂 And just for the record just having someone do that for me is very foreign to me. I've always been stubbornly independent and I suck at asking for help.

Jump to this post

Well I believe that’s an easier surgery for sure. I hear you on asking for help… this will be one of those dreaded times! 🌸

REPLY

@frogjumper I had a lumpectomy for DCIS and was wrapped tightly around my chest. Went back to work few days post. Just no lifting and no Hugs on that side.
I think you should push the office to book surgery sooner if that’s what you want. We must advocate for ourselves. Speak up. It’s amazing that they ‘generally’ can do it if we step up. Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip. 🙏🏼🤗

REPLY
@frogjumper

The surgery is a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. I would have to have someone help with luggage because of lifting restrictions but that's why they invented the handy sister travel mate 🙂 And just for the record just having someone do that for me is very foreign to me. I've always been stubbornly independent and I suck at asking for help.

Jump to this post

Hi, I had my diagnosis on Sept 23, quickly followed in SW Florida by Hurricane Ian but as soon as I could I saw the surgeon. I had my scheduled surgery for October 13 which was the soonest I could. I made the choice to schedule knowing I would have to cancel a trip planned for end of October. My follow up treatment plan was radiation, no chemo, which started the Monday after Thanksgiving allowing me to enter the new year with all behind me. I probably could have traveled end of October since I was still healing and couldn't start radiation but I was ready to have it done and over. I agree with those who have suggested you get first available surgery date rather than worry about it.

REPLY

I was diagnosed on March 1, 2022 and saw breast surgeon on March 2. I later found out that they had had a cancellation. I had a lumpectomy on April 1 followed by a second lumpectomy on April 29 as the surgeon couldn’t get clear margins. I had to wait until June 22 for the mastectomy and the waiting was hard. If you can get the surgery moved up I would do so.

REPLY
Please sign in or register to post a reply.