My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer that had spread in September. She’s on her fifth chemo and today she was rushed to the hospital to find out she has a blood clot in her leg. Anyone ever experience this before?
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.
I had a blood clot in my leg about 2 months after treatment. My oncologist says its from the chemo. I'm now on a blood thinner for at least a year.
@marquesdi, cancer patients, especially cancer patients who are receiving chemotherapy, have a much higher risk of DVT than other people. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is when a blood clot forms in a deep vein.
Here's some helpful information about how to prevent them and warning signs:
– Blood Clots (Deep Vein Thrombosis) and cancer patients https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/survivors/patients/blood-clots.htm
What were the warning signs for your mom? How was the blood clot discovered? How was it resolved? Can she start chemo again?
Am new. Had a colon resection last year late July.
Till date still trying to understand my body after surgery. Recent worry is my stomach, it's big, round and hard. Don't know what to do.
Anyone experienced this?
@marquesdi, Mayo Clinic Cancer Blog just published this article and I thought of you:
– Dear Mayo Clinic: Does cancer increase my risk for a blood clot? https://cancerblog.mayoclinic.org/2022/12/22/dear-mayo-clinic-does-cancer-increase-my-risk-for-a-blood-clot/
Hi @zabby50, welcome. Adjusting to your body after a colon resection is often talking about in the Colorectal Cancer Support Group. Allow me to direct you to these relevant discussions:
– Problems months after colon resection surgery: What Helps? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/three-months-after-colon-surgery/
– After sigmoid surgery: Any diet suggestions for excessive gas? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/sigmoid-surgery-recovery/
– Sigmoid colon resection: What to expect for recovery? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/sigmoid-colon-resection-10282019/
– Stomach like a beer belly after colon cancer surgery https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/colon-cancer-22c04d/
How long ago was your surgery, Zabby?
Jump to this post
My surgery was five months ago.
Thanks for reaching out.
I sometimes feel pains in some of my joints, my chest, in my right side of my stomach.
My chest for a couple of days now feels tight
Connect with thousands of patients and caregivers for support and answers.
Already have an account? Sign In