small cell lung cancer

Posted by cheris @cheris, Oct 24, 2016

My sister was just diagnosed with this. Anyone know what to expect and how I can be of help to her?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Cancer Support Group.

@JustinMcClanahan

Hello @cheris, I am sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis of small cell lung cancer. It is good to hear that the breathing has improved, albeit with a side effect of feeling sick.

I see that you posted this question in Just Want to Talk, http://mayocl.in/2iLQFNz, where Kanaaz brought in a few members to share their experiences. @llwortman briefly joined the discussion, but now you have asked a few more specific questions about dealing with the side effects of chemo.

I would also like to invite @burrkay who cared for his wife who has cancer and has gone through multiple treatments and may be able to offer some advice on how you handle this as a caregiver.

@cheris, you mentioned that the prognosis does not sound very good, have other options been discussed after the last round of chemo? If you don't mind me asking, what has your sister discussed as her wishes for treatment after chemo?

Jump to this post

Dear Cheris:
Your sister is fortunate to have your love and support. I can understand her fear. I looked death in the face and could not breath. My husband stood by my bed after lung cancer vats surgery and said breath breath for 5 hours. When we went home I thought could not walk up stairs to our bedroom! My husband said, you can do this!" So I did so ever slowly!
I will never forget the nurse les call from Mayo Oncology who mailed me a research study work book, Paced Breathing DVD (now an app) and called every FR for 3 months. I listened to this 15 minute voice on the DVD 4 hours in the morning, afternoon and middle of night ...even though it hurt to move & breath.
I hope you google Dr Amit Sood and share a couple of his short and fun videos. And think
About googling his amazing TED Talk. I am no longer afraid. I have kearn d how to train my brain to better help me catch my breath and pace breath through my day! I have been empowered...but it took a lot of time. Ya know, it was my life saver!
Let me know if this helps your sister ...and you?
You d serve the biggest cyber hug!!!
Linda

@JustinMcClanahan

Hello @cheris, I am sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis of small cell lung cancer. It is good to hear that the breathing has improved, albeit with a side effect of feeling sick.

I see that you posted this question in Just Want to Talk, http://mayocl.in/2iLQFNz, where Kanaaz brought in a few members to share their experiences. @llwortman briefly joined the discussion, but now you have asked a few more specific questions about dealing with the side effects of chemo.

I would also like to invite @burrkay who cared for his wife who has cancer and has gone through multiple treatments and may be able to offer some advice on how you handle this as a caregiver.

@cheris, you mentioned that the prognosis does not sound very good, have other options been discussed after the last round of chemo? If you don't mind me asking, what has your sister discussed as her wishes for treatment after chemo?

Jump to this post

Thank you Linda, my sister was not a candidate for surgery but did receive 6 sessions of chemo. Last week her scans showed that clear except for one spot on a lung that looked like scar tissue. She has been very sick and weak. We are going to go on vacation next week for 10 days and so very glad we can spend this time together. The day she gets back they are doing two weeks of radiation to her brain, although the scan was clear this is a preventive measure because small cell likes to move to the brain. She will also get two weeks radiation to the small scar looking area on her lung just to be safe. Although she has received good news and looks like she is in remission her spirits are very low. I am hoping that 10 days at the beach will help. Also going to check out the historical plantations and gardens of Charleston,SC. She will bring a wheelchair since she gets very tired. She did get a wig and she is happy to have hair again.

I will certainly have her look up Dr. Sood and see if this is something she would like to look into. Thank you.

Cheri

@JustinMcClanahan

Jump to this post

Hi Cheri:
Sounds like you are doing everything to be helpful. I understand that being week from cancer and treatment can take it out of the body and it does take time to recover.

This vacation will be good for the body, mind & spirit. My husband drug me on a vacation but it helped me get a new perspective on everything. I soon enjoyed each day... one day at a time.

I have a feeling your vacation time away will be very helpful! Bless you. Tell your sister she is not alone & stay connected, ok?
You both deserve a big cyber hug!
All my best,
Linda

Please sign in or register to post a reply.