Second Opinion for lung nodule biopsy

Posted by d41king @d41king, Feb 12 11:16am

during a routine CT scan, a 15 MM nodule was found near the base of my right lung – close to my spine and diaphragm. My oncologist wanted us to get a biopsy even though she said there was only a 25% chance it was cancerous (my PET scan showed very little activity at the site), but the lab said that the nodule was too close to the spine and diaphragm and too small, so they could not do the biopsy. My doctor then said we would simply wait 3 months for another scan to see if anything changes. My wife is upset because we wanted the biopsy to rule out cancer. I am seeking a second opinion, but not really sure where to start – except that I am going to let my oncologist know I want to get the second opinion, especially for the peace of mind for my family. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

The Team that reviewed my case recommended that I have surgery and get it out once and for all rather than watching it over time. I am in agreement (rather tan my wife and I walking on eggshells for the next 5 years), so now trying to get a schedule to have this thing removed.

REPLY
@d41king

The Team that reviewed my case recommended that I have surgery and get it out once and for all rather than watching it over time. I am in agreement (rather tan my wife and I walking on eggshells for the next 5 years), so now trying to get a schedule to have this thing removed.

Jump to this post

@d41king – Good news for both you and your wife! I think that I would feel relief. I might have sounded hesitant about this but only because your doctors suggested the wait. With my type of lung cancer, I get more than one nodule in my lung at a time and I was relieved when I was told that my doctors would zap my third and fourth lesion with proton radiation. And it was.
I know that this is close to your spine. Are you feeling any pain from it? Other than r Oncologist will you need any other physician to check it out? Please keep us updated. How are you feeling about this?

REPLY

Thanks Merry. I have no pain or symptoms so am optimistic about the outcome either way

REPLY
@d41king

Thanks Merry. I have no pain or symptoms so am optimistic about the outcome either way

Jump to this post

@d41king– I know what you mean.

REPLY
@d41king

Thanks so much !

Jump to this post

I ended up getting a second opinion and we had decided that even though I was low risk, my Dr would go ahead and remove the nodule. Due to the corona virus, the surgery was deemed elective so the early April surgery was postponed. I had a scan In mid May which showed no change as far as anyone could tell. A team will review the scan later this week, but it appears I may simply get another scan in 6 months

REPLY

@d41king– This is very good news. And at least they are keeping an eye on you until it can be removed!

Liked by meka

REPLY

Thanks Merry!

REPLY
@merpreb

@d41king– Great news! Will you please let us know?

Jump to this post

The Team agreed that I can wait 6 months for a new scan. No surgery!

REPLY
@d41king

The Team agreed that I can wait 6 months for a new scan. No surgery!

Jump to this post

@d41king– This is great news but it puts off what you wanted. What is your reaction?

REPLY
@merpreb

@d41king– This is great news but it puts off what you wanted. What is your reaction?

Jump to this post

Right, but at this point in time with the new corona virus out there, I'm happy to stay out of the hospital. It may have been fortuitous that my surgery was postponed thus keeping my lungs in tact.

REPLY

@d41king– It just maybe fortuitous that it has kept you out of the hospital! I'm thinking the same things, thank you, because I had a cancellation for an appointment at my hospital too! Great way of looking at things!

REPLY
Please login or register to post a reply.