Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@annekaz52

Thank you for the suggestion. I am now upping my at home exercises.

Jump to this post

Other than PT the greatest help for me 8 months post op on my left TKR has been medical massage. Not a spa but a trained medical masseuse in lymphatic drainage and cupping. My walking standing etc stiffness licking up at my sartorial muscle has all improved after lengthy PT. I’m also doing 30 mins 6 days a week on a recumbent bike but despite the expensive masseuse txs im getting better and I found her myself. I told my surgeon he should have referred me but ONLY after I found her myself!!! I told my masseuse that surgeons should make it a common practice to refer PT is effective but after 5 months you need more

I had 1year ago a knee replacement on my right knee. I now recently discovered that my calf is stiff and the leg became weak. Is it normal?? I have pains in my hip and lower back and on the right hand side of my bum so what am I suppose to do.

@gwendolinehen

I had 1year ago a knee replacement on my right knee. I now recently discovered that my calf is stiff and the leg became weak. Is it normal?? I have pains in my hip and lower back and on the right hand side of my bum so what am I suppose to do.

Jump to this post

Gwen - your symptoms sound more like sciatica. I've had sciatica and it's usually caused by a bulging lumbar disk, causing pain and numbness in the back of the leg, sometimes including the glutes. FWIW I've also had both knees replaced and did not get any of these symptoms.

I would check with your knee surgeon and he may give you a reference to a spine surgeon. I'm certainly no expert and that's why I'd start with the surgeon who replaced your knee.

All the best.

@gwendolinehen

Jump to this post

Medical massage continues to help me. They have decreased swelling, softened and eliminated hard knots and worked on my hips and legs muscles my surgeon was very good but I found this out myself. Not a spa massage but a medical masseuse with special training

Six weeks is not a long time. I did not begin massage that early. Your swelling sounds like you are doing too much too early

@terry002

Medical massage continues to help me. They have decreased swelling, softened and eliminated hard knots and worked on my hips and legs muscles my surgeon was very good but I found this out myself. Not a spa massage but a medical masseuse with special training

Jump to this post

Thank you for your advise will do so

@gwendolinehen

Thank you for your advise will do so

Jump to this post

Gwen I still have knots and swelling 8 months post and my medical masseuse works it out. My sartorius muscle was locking and now it doesn’t. Find someone good and you’ll see. PT doesn’t do everything and after four months 3x week religiously my doctor told me the same thing!

Did you get diagnosed with arthrofibrosis? It is an excess amount of scar tissue buildup after surgery. It cannot be broken down by PT. I had arthroscopic surgery to remove the scar tissue and got my extension so I could walk. It is very painful and tight. It has been 15 years since my TKR . It is a disability I have learned to live with as it all came back a year after it was removed. I have done everything possible to cure it except a revision. I am NOT having my left knee replaced.

@lamerex4

I had my first knee replacement at the age of 47 years in 2001. I was plagued by spasms on the outer aspect of my calf caused by scar tissue. After a closed manipulation and traditional PT I got relief with acupuncture and osteopathic manipulation. I know many physical therapists practice under the theory that you have to push through the pain, but when you are a prolific scar tissue creator, I feel a more gradual, alternative approach is better.

Jump to this post

Hello. Are you still doing well with scar tissue issues? Please share how you got help. Thank you!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.