Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

Just wondering where all you lovely people are from.as I am.from.Australia. Post op 12months bad scar tisdue ruined my life so tight can hardly walk or do lots. I get very exhausted to do anything really. The pain most days arex8/9 and are desperate. So I read all theses stories hoping there help.out there.. I had a manipulation early on 7weeks postop but no difference. Had a second opinion and scans and tests tell me nothing so Surgeon said nothing can be done..Please let me no more on your experiences and where you are from.. Some days I just want to die or cut my knee off. I had it done to go caravanning with my husband not no more. I am literally housebound with pain and fearing of a fall..I just need answers so reading theses stories give me hope..And has anyone had Lazer for Scar tisdue at all..Would love to here more . I.am.64 this year and do not wannaive my life out like this I cry all the time and has given me depression.. I do.not want to give up so I keep trying to exercise even though I am in agony. I feel useless and just found out I am going to be a Granny which breaks my heart. I am going to be useless cannot even do my walks anymore. Decasted the Doctors just say nothing to be done but I am not done yet. Many Thanks

@artscaping

Good evening @deboo, I can sense your frustration and disappointment. And I am so sorry that the MUA did not work well for you. When you write that your knee is swollen and I am assuming painful then it is time to take another look at your options.

Perhaps I can offer a couple more of those options. First......the scar tissue that has formed may be the culprit here. If so, I know of one way to remove it and that is MFR, myofascial release therapy. That is the only way I found relief from the scar tissue with my first TKR. I just had my second one last August and immediately began PT and MFR the day after surgery. The result was no scar tissue.

Please respond if you would like more information. In the meantime, you may want to try a Yoga pose called "legs up the wall". You can Google it or look on youtube. The goal is to release the scar tissue so that the swelling declines and the MFR therapist can move the fluid material up your thigh into your pelvic area so that it evacuates when you urinate.

I will watch for your reply to @colleenyoung about physical therapy. Is there anything else you can share about your post-surgery exercise program?

May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.
Chris

Jump to this post

Thanks for this I would appreciate and information as it's so bad and stiff swollen and lumps around my knee cap still. On pain all the time so that would be great. Many thanks hope you can pass on any info.. Debbie

@lamerex4

I had my first knee replacement at the age of 47 years in 2001. I was plagued by spasms on the outer aspect of my calf caused by scar tissue. After a closed manipulation and traditional PT I got relief with acupuncture and osteopathic manipulation. I know many physical therapists practice under the theory that you have to push through the pain, but when you are a prolific scar tissue creator, I feel a more gradual, alternative approach is better.

Jump to this post

7 weeks out from TKR. Had manual manipulation done this past monday. Every day is a struggle. I must develop scar tissue in minutes as I go to PT every day and work through some horrid pain in bending. Today the therapist pressed into my knee scars and I just about vomited because of pain. Is this typical? Also what is osteopathic manipulation and how do u find one and get Medicate and supplement to pay? I am so tired of the swelling and tingling toes this just cannot be good for you!!!! I ice all the time, I do home pt do formal pt 5 days a week i need a break from this pain and swelling suggestions?

@krenn

Chris,
Thank you for the information. I am afraid I do not know really much about Myofascial Release Therapy. What do you mean by "It took about six weeks to get the restrictive fascia and scar tissue released and then it was over"? Do you mean that the therapist was able to correct your issue and pain? At my initial PT after my TKR, I left therapy with flexion of 116... I have now regressed to 82... with extreme pushing and pain they can get me to 95 but it regresses back to 82 to 90. Its stuck!! and in so much pain daily. I just want to be out of pain daily. I have shed so many tears. I feel hopeless.

Jump to this post

Good evening @krenn........sorry for being a little late getting back to you. I have surgery scheduled next week and the last couple of days have been all those supportive appointments.

Yes, @krenn, I do mean that the MFR therapist was able to correct the issue completely in six weeks and it has never returned. What we did with the second TKR was to have the PT at the clinic talk with my MFR therapist so that they were working together. I even scheduled the appointments back to back. PT first and then MFR. I had no scar tissue problems with this joint replacement.

Eliminating the scar tissue made it easier to achieve the flexion goal. It seems you are having a bit of regression with that mobility issue......as you say...."its stuck". I sort of forced my way through this "flex test" until I got to 137. Now I just have to maintain it.

I am so sorry that you are in constant pain. Are you using lots of ice and elevating your leg above your heart? Just so you have the latest information about MFR and how it can help, I am going to introduce you to @jenniferhunter. She and I rate MFR quite highly. Let's see what Jennifer has to contribute.

Hang in there........we are here for you.
Chris

@deboo

Just wondering where all you lovely people are from.as I am.from.Australia. Post op 12months bad scar tisdue ruined my life so tight can hardly walk or do lots. I get very exhausted to do anything really. The pain most days arex8/9 and are desperate. So I read all theses stories hoping there help.out there.. I had a manipulation early on 7weeks postop but no difference. Had a second opinion and scans and tests tell me nothing so Surgeon said nothing can be done..Please let me no more on your experiences and where you are from.. Some days I just want to die or cut my knee off. I had it done to go caravanning with my husband not no more. I am literally housebound with pain and fearing of a fall..I just need answers so reading theses stories give me hope..And has anyone had Lazer for Scar tisdue at all..Would love to here more . I.am.64 this year and do not wannaive my life out like this I cry all the time and has given me depression.. I do.not want to give up so I keep trying to exercise even though I am in agony. I feel useless and just found out I am going to be a Granny which breaks my heart. I am going to be useless cannot even do my walks anymore. Decasted the Doctors just say nothing to be done but I am not done yet. Many Thanks

Jump to this post

Look for someone that does myofascial release. I go to my PT and have it done. It's a type of massage that "should" release the tight muscles. I'm 2.5 years out from TKR. When I leave her office it feels great, but then it returns. Hope this helps. Here's a link to explain it.

https://myofascialrelease.com/
@judybearden1

Look for someone that does myofascial release. I go to my PT and have it done. It's a type of massage that "should" release the tight muscles. I'm 2.5 years out from TKR. When I leave her office it feels great, but then it returns. Hope this helps. Here's a link to explain it.

https://myofascialrelease.com/

Jump to this post

Thanks for that I will give it a go anything that will help much appreciated for any information 👍.

@sophiecat

I know exactly how you feel. I am 12 weeks out from left TKR. Doing fairly good but still having issues. Ended up with horiffic nerve pain n it's some better with gabapentin. Not sure I could go thru this again. Right knee is not bone on bone yet, thank God. I need a left shoulder replacement and a right shoulder replacement revision. Not sure I can go thru anymore surgeries. Not sure emotionally I'm up for it. Maybe 20 yrs ago but not at 66. God bless us all.

Jump to this post

I have very similar situation. I also need a right shoulder replacement. Dr. said to put that off as long as possible, I was in my 60's then. I'm 76 now. So far that has been manageble.

I had a right TKR 5 weeks ago. I have a constant pain in that knee (like a toothache) I have good movment in the joint. My left knee isn't much better, but I really would not want to go thru this again so I hope it holds out for a long time.

@keeneau1

I have very similar situation. I also need a right shoulder replacement. Dr. said to put that off as long as possible, I was in my 60's then. I'm 76 now. So far that has been manageble.

I had a right TKR 5 weeks ago. I have a constant pain in that knee (like a toothache) I have good movment in the joint. My left knee isn't much better, but I really would not want to go thru this again so I hope it holds out for a long time.

Jump to this post

Welcome @keeneau1, Sorry to hear you are having constant pain in your knee with the TKR. 5 weeeks is still pretty early in the recovery cycle. Are you icing and elevating the leg regularly during the day? Have you discussed the pain with your surgeon?

I see my surgeon this week. I'm sure he will remind me that I had knee surgery, of course it will hurt! He doesn't seem like a very compassionate guy. But I never had this done before so I have no idea if it's normal. PT says that I am doing excellent with my mobility. I take 100 mg of gabapentin twice a day. Doesn't seem to do anything except make me "antsy". I can't sit still, sitting laying down, standing walking all the time. I am only on tylenol and use ice routinely. Elevating leg hurts the whole back of my leg and my back can't stand doing it.

@keeneau1

I see my surgeon this week. I'm sure he will remind me that I had knee surgery, of course it will hurt! He doesn't seem like a very compassionate guy. But I never had this done before so I have no idea if it's normal. PT says that I am doing excellent with my mobility. I take 100 mg of gabapentin twice a day. Doesn't seem to do anything except make me "antsy". I can't sit still, sitting laying down, standing walking all the time. I am only on tylenol and use ice routinely. Elevating leg hurts the whole back of my leg and my back can't stand doing it.

Jump to this post

@keeneau1 - It's probably good that you can't sit still but some rest is part of the recovery. I had my right knee replaced about the same age as you had yours done. I was lucky to have a good surgeon that encouraged me to do both pre-surgery and post-surgery exercises to strengthen the knee and leg. I was still doing the exercises which included flattening or straigtening the leg which may be the reason I didn't have any pain elevating the leg. Elevating can mean just resting the leg on another chair or small table. Here's some information that may help you know a little more of what's normal.

https://www.arthritis-health.com/surgery/knee-surgery/knee-replacement-recovery-weeks-4-6

Do you have any swelling of your knee or leg?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.