Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@sdhkkjmz

You could be one of those people that grows scar tissue very quickly! I had similar issue with my first TKR. Had to have manual manipulation by doctor under anesthesia at hospital and then work hard exercising and stretching in warm pool and spent hours on a continuous passive motion machines. Find a therapy with this machine and a pool. Keep up with massage and exercising. It takes time and yes, it’s uncomfortable.

Jump to this post

I had TKR 2 years ago last October and the manipulation 2 months later. Things were going along pretty good with it and I was going to Planet Fitness. Feb 3, 2020 I slipped on about 6 ft of spilled water in the Bread Aisle in the grocery, of all places- in the Bread aisle. It was not marked. I went down and bent my operated knee all the way back with my body weight on it! It was almost 10pm right before the store was closing. I went to see my surgeon at 8am the very next morning. He said the implant still looked good though. I continued with Planet Fitness until the pandemic shut everything down. My knee kept getting worse though and in December of 2020 my surgeons decided to surgically remove the scar tissue. My surgeon said it was the worst scar tissue he's Ever seen and he does several of these surgeries a year. My knee felt pretty good and my bend was 92, but that lasted for 2 weeks. It continued to get stiffer and less bend and I was going to PT 2x a week. Then we got Covid and that put me down for 3 weeks in January 2021 with no PT. Now it is a painful stretch to get to 82 max and that was pushing it today at PT. My therapist thinks this with be probably the best I will get. I know I'm still recovering my strength from the Covid but my legs get so tired toward night and my knee is stiff and in pain all the time. I'm a very active guy and we have two properties one of which is an old antique farmhouse with an acre of land with dips in the terrain so it's a killer to mow the ridge near the road by hand. I keep going though but I'm very discouraged. Some times I wish I hadn't had the replacement. Anyone else relate? Would knee bands help?

@dmichael

I had TKR 2 years ago last October and the manipulation 2 months later. Things were going along pretty good with it and I was going to Planet Fitness. Feb 3, 2020 I slipped on about 6 ft of spilled water in the Bread Aisle in the grocery, of all places- in the Bread aisle. It was not marked. I went down and bent my operated knee all the way back with my body weight on it! It was almost 10pm right before the store was closing. I went to see my surgeon at 8am the very next morning. He said the implant still looked good though. I continued with Planet Fitness until the pandemic shut everything down. My knee kept getting worse though and in December of 2020 my surgeons decided to surgically remove the scar tissue. My surgeon said it was the worst scar tissue he's Ever seen and he does several of these surgeries a year. My knee felt pretty good and my bend was 92, but that lasted for 2 weeks. It continued to get stiffer and less bend and I was going to PT 2x a week. Then we got Covid and that put me down for 3 weeks in January 2021 with no PT. Now it is a painful stretch to get to 82 max and that was pushing it today at PT. My therapist thinks this with be probably the best I will get. I know I'm still recovering my strength from the Covid but my legs get so tired toward night and my knee is stiff and in pain all the time. I'm a very active guy and we have two properties one of which is an old antique farmhouse with an acre of land with dips in the terrain so it's a killer to mow the ridge near the road by hand. I keep going though but I'm very discouraged. Some times I wish I hadn't had the replacement. Anyone else relate? Would knee bands help?

Jump to this post

I am so sorry to hear the dreaded diagnosis, ‘ this may be the best you’ll ever be’. After 2tkr on my left knee and one arthrolysis, I live in pain ranging from 6-8 everyday. I do pt 3x a week, but it does nothing for the pain. Nothing does anything for the pain. Rainy weather makes it worse, standing makes it worse, activity makes it worse. The only thing, and I mean only, is medical marijuana tincture that I use only for 7 hours of sleep. Luckily my state has legal medical marijuana. Without sleep I could not live, but I find that I yearn for 8pm and my bed more than daylight. It’s a sad way to live.

@katp

I am so sorry to hear the dreaded diagnosis, ‘ this may be the best you’ll ever be’. After 2tkr on my left knee and one arthrolysis, I live in pain ranging from 6-8 everyday. I do pt 3x a week, but it does nothing for the pain. Nothing does anything for the pain. Rainy weather makes it worse, standing makes it worse, activity makes it worse. The only thing, and I mean only, is medical marijuana tincture that I use only for 7 hours of sleep. Luckily my state has legal medical marijuana. Without sleep I could not live, but I find that I yearn for 8pm and my bed more than daylight. It’s a sad way to live.

Jump to this post

Karp , reading your story is like reading my own. After 2 TKR on left knee and numerous nerve blocs , cut nerves and Stemwave stimulator implants, I spend every day in pain 8-9. My biggest plus is if I sit or lying down there is no pain but I am only 64 and very active, well I was very active. I am still searching for answers because to me this is it does not work for me. No doctor has answers other than it’s nerve condition brought on by surgery itself, well I will search and search because I want some what of my active life back. Be strong and stay well. Steve

I can totally relate to replacement that has not gone well.
Yes I am close to 300 lbs and type 2 diabetes, but surgery went well, healed up without issue but now just over a year, my knees are still stiff and hurtful. I spend half the day in my lift chair recliner with pulsating massager on them, tens machine, ice, heating pad,stretch, climb stairs couple times a day but not well and slowly. Im not able to get relief from NSAIDS as the years I took them took a bit of a toll on my kidneys and I dont need kidney failure, and Tylonal does not help. I tried full spectrum CBD gummys but had like 3 percent THC and didn’t like the feeling I got.
I m an active guy who is wanting to lose weight and walk without discomfort and stiffness. Some days knees not hurtful but always stiff and I barely get to 90 degrees. Other times aches in different areas of my knees, side, back of knee. Had manipulation on one knee to see if it would help but really has not although he got it to 120 degrees.
I wonder if there will ever be a light at the end of the tunnel. CBD rub tried once but with tight band syndrome I still felt pressure on my knees. I use lidocaine patches I regret having them replaced. My knees get tired and stiff when on them a lot to the point walking straight legged until I can sit down and put vibrator on them.

@sprinrosa64

Karp , reading your story is like reading my own. After 2 TKR on left knee and numerous nerve blocs , cut nerves and Stemwave stimulator implants, I spend every day in pain 8-9. My biggest plus is if I sit or lying down there is no pain but I am only 64 and very active, well I was very active. I am still searching for answers because to me this is it does not work for me. No doctor has answers other than it’s nerve condition brought on by surgery itself, well I will search and search because I want some what of my active life back. Be strong and stay well. Steve

Jump to this post

I, too,was very active, 66 at first tkr. I had a bike accident about 8 years ago. Those revision surgeries are a beast! The first tkr showed up on X-ray as a patella tracking laterally. First surgeon did a MUA at 6 weeks, but chronic inflammation (along with the bike trauma and very bad physical therapy) caused scar tissue. After 1 year, new surgeon did the revision and removed a ton of scar tissue, but scar tissue did not stop growing, it just got worse. So, another year and a sports ortho did laporascopic scar tissue removal. I’m now 6 weeks out of that surgery. Yes, I can tell that restriction has been removed, but on rainy days I am in misery. It swells internally and scar tissue feels like tight piano wires wrapped around my knee, front and back. NO painkiller, muscle relaxant, ointment, heat, cold, menthol, elevation, etc., does any good. As I have said, medical marijuana is the only thing that helps me to calm down and fall asleep. When pain will not allow me to find ANY comfortable position, there is no way to fall asleep. MM does help. I am in outpatient PT , do home PT everyday, and pedal a stationery recumbent bike everyday (4x for 15 minutes each). I have asked my recent surgeon for cortisone injection, metformin trial, anything to stop the increase of scar tissue. They will do nothing. I am looking into EPAT but I think it won’t be strong enough to make a difference. If anyone has any ideas, please, please, please. Sadly I think we are all in the same boat.

I’m in sympathy with your pain. Going through brutal pain also after TKR and manipulation. Have seen three new doctors . Still no answer why so much pain. Was going to look into medical marijuana. Would you mind telling me what type of marijuana has worked for you? Thank you Cindy

Of course, it’s an unknown territory and most dispensaries have very understanding docs and salespeople. The menus are incredibly large. I have not wanted to smoke anything so I began with tinctures. I recommend getting a strong thc content. That allows you to use less (and save money-it’s not cheap!). Problem, however, is that I must take it at 8pm in order for me to be sleepy by 10pm. Any MM taken by mouth takes awhile to kick in but then last longer. I’ve tried lotions (forget them), transdermal creams (don’t work really). After more than a year I have created a tolerance and just bought a disposable vape pen. I haven’t really used it except for an experimental trial yesterday. I don’t really want to get high, but I did on one strong draw, and yes, I coughed. 😆. I will only use it if I can’t fall asleep after 10pm. If I didn’t sleep every night there is no way I could get thru days of pain. I tried ambien, and it works, but that, too, comes with tolerance after awhile. I use MM for a distinct purpose. I am not a drug abuser. No haters need reply. Hope you can find some relief.

I had a knee replacement 3 months ago..a manipulation for scar tissue 1 month ago.. lots of PT.. pain, swelling and stiffness is still a problem.. I asked the surgeon what’s next step.. no surgery yet he said.. I am still at 90 degrees after all that therapy
So he prescribes Valium for my pain and anxiety which I don’t like taking benzodiapines.. the nurse said to try it..
He also sent me for a Dynasplint.. didn’t get it yet.. I don’t know what that is supposed to do..
Meanwhile I’m in pain every day and so stiff
Diana

@katp

Of course, it’s an unknown territory and most dispensaries have very understanding docs and salespeople. The menus are incredibly large. I have not wanted to smoke anything so I began with tinctures. I recommend getting a strong thc content. That allows you to use less (and save money-it’s not cheap!). Problem, however, is that I must take it at 8pm in order for me to be sleepy by 10pm. Any MM taken by mouth takes awhile to kick in but then last longer. I’ve tried lotions (forget them), transdermal creams (don’t work really). After more than a year I have created a tolerance and just bought a disposable vape pen. I haven’t really used it except for an experimental trial yesterday. I don’t really want to get high, but I did on one strong draw, and yes, I coughed. 😆. I will only use it if I can’t fall asleep after 10pm. If I didn’t sleep every night there is no way I could get thru days of pain. I tried ambien, and it works, but that, too, comes with tolerance after awhile. I use MM for a distinct purpose. I am not a drug abuser. No haters need reply. Hope you can find some relief.

Jump to this post

You’ve been theu so much.. I don’t think they address the pain enough

@katp

I, too,was very active, 66 at first tkr. I had a bike accident about 8 years ago. Those revision surgeries are a beast! The first tkr showed up on X-ray as a patella tracking laterally. First surgeon did a MUA at 6 weeks, but chronic inflammation (along with the bike trauma and very bad physical therapy) caused scar tissue. After 1 year, new surgeon did the revision and removed a ton of scar tissue, but scar tissue did not stop growing, it just got worse. So, another year and a sports ortho did laporascopic scar tissue removal. I’m now 6 weeks out of that surgery. Yes, I can tell that restriction has been removed, but on rainy days I am in misery. It swells internally and scar tissue feels like tight piano wires wrapped around my knee, front and back. NO painkiller, muscle relaxant, ointment, heat, cold, menthol, elevation, etc., does any good. As I have said, medical marijuana is the only thing that helps me to calm down and fall asleep. When pain will not allow me to find ANY comfortable position, there is no way to fall asleep. MM does help. I am in outpatient PT , do home PT everyday, and pedal a stationery recumbent bike everyday (4x for 15 minutes each). I have asked my recent surgeon for cortisone injection, metformin trial, anything to stop the increase of scar tissue. They will do nothing. I am looking into EPAT but I think it won’t be strong enough to make a difference. If anyone has any ideas, please, please, please. Sadly I think we are all in the same boat.

Jump to this post

I feel for you.. I had a knee replacement three months ago an MUA 1 month ago... no change... I can feel more stiffness..pain and swelling.. still at 90 degrees..dr wants me to use a Dynasplint to straighten my leg..8 hrs a day in a locked position.. I would think that would make it worse.. and then gives me Valium he said to relax muscles... I don’t know...Diana

Please sign in or register to post a reply.