Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@doodles418

Get a second opinion on your own, not your surgeons suggestion. Go out of the group or area. Ask for new Xrays and the possibility of the implants being the wrong size, the alignment off and your knee caps replaced poorly. Follow @babette story. This really does happen to patients

Jump to this post

Yes you are right, the new surgeon is out of the area in another town and county. I will keep you informed

Hi all , checking in again-still in nasty pain managed by a pain dr who monitors me bi weekly with urinalysis which is very invasive but have no choice if I want the controlled Rrx. i have been waiting fo an ablation of the nerves under the scar tissue of my knee. Now the insurance co. has refused to pay citing that this procedure is "too experimental" I will have to self pay approx, $4,000. if I want to try it-no guarantees and will be needed very 6 -to 12 months as nerves regrow. Has any one here had this?. This whole thing- 2 years now, is bankrupting me as the bills Never end and I am unable to hold a job anymore because of the pain...

@damewocane

Hi all , checking in again-still in nasty pain managed by a pain dr who monitors me bi weekly with urinalysis which is very invasive but have no choice if I want the controlled Rrx. i have been waiting fo an ablation of the nerves under the scar tissue of my knee. Now the insurance co. has refused to pay citing that this procedure is "too experimental" I will have to self pay approx, $4,000. if I want to try it-no guarantees and will be needed very 6 -to 12 months as nerves regrow. Has any one here had this?. This whole thing- 2 years now, is bankrupting me as the bills Never end and I am unable to hold a job anymore because of the pain...

Jump to this post

I tried the ablation and it did nothing for me. My sister in law had it done and it seemed to work for her. $4000 seems very steep. My recollection is they try it, wait a week, if it worked, they do it again on a permanent basis. My sister in law did not have to go back every six months. $4k every 6 months sounds like a scam. Anybody else have more info on this?

@dduke

I tried the ablation and it did nothing for me. My sister in law had it done and it seemed to work for her. $4000 seems very steep. My recollection is they try it, wait a week, if it worked, they do it again on a permanent basis. My sister in law did not have to go back every six months. $4k every 6 months sounds like a scam. Anybody else have more info on this?

Jump to this post

Yes, I would appreciate hearing from any one else who knows of this. First will be the nerve test and then a week or so later, I am to go back and report if there was any relief, the cost for that out of pocket is $320.00-If that works, then they will go in to do the ablation.

@damewocane

Jump to this post

I had to appeal my insurance companies denial TWICE before they agreed to pay for the nerve block to see if it helps prior to the ablation. The second appeal was to an external review agency, and the doctor they hired agreed that this was the only thing left for them to try for my pain. It took almost 5 months from the time my doctor submitted the prior-authorization to the time I was able to have the block - but oh, the relief I had with the block!! I enjoyed the few hours I had pain-free!!! In August I had the ablation - I would say it took away about 80% of my pain, so I'm calling it a success. I'm now able to walk again and work out, which I hadn't been able to do for around 3 years or so prior to the ablation. Keep at it and good luck!

@kibe75

I had to appeal my insurance companies denial TWICE before they agreed to pay for the nerve block to see if it helps prior to the ablation. The second appeal was to an external review agency, and the doctor they hired agreed that this was the only thing left for them to try for my pain. It took almost 5 months from the time my doctor submitted the prior-authorization to the time I was able to have the block - but oh, the relief I had with the block!! I enjoyed the few hours I had pain-free!!! In August I had the ablation - I would say it took away about 80% of my pain, so I'm calling it a success. I'm now able to walk again and work out, which I hadn't been able to do for around 3 years or so prior to the ablation. Keep at it and good luck!

Jump to this post

Bless you for your info here! That's an amazing story! You give me hope. I will follow your lead.

@damewocane

Yes, I would appreciate hearing from any one else who knows of this. First will be the nerve test and then a week or so later, I am to go back and report if there was any relief, the cost for that out of pocket is $320.00-If that works, then they will go in to do the ablation.

Jump to this post

@damewocane I hope this procedure is successful for you. Please let us know, either way. I feel very fortunate to not have had the problems that many people have experienced.
JK

I had the genicular nerve test on my knee last week under fluoroscopy. It was painful but only lasted about 20 mins and then sent home w/a pain journal. I was told that the first 24 hrs are the most important to monitor to help the M.D. decide whether or not you are a candidate for the ablation I was pleasantly surprised to feel relief within approx.30 minutes. After 2 yrs of chronic pain, I thought-wow this it!.... I felt so good that I decided to do some holiday shopping and braved a mall, the 2nd hour passed almost pain free and I was elated. The third hour, I felt myself regressing a bit and came home thinking:"Did I over do it?" There were no post op instructions. At the end of the 4th hour my pain was back full on at a 9-10. I was devastated. My understanding was that it"works" for approx 70 % of the candidates and confusedly diagnosed myself as not one of those fortunates. Anxious for some answers, I met with the P.A. today who reviewed my notes ...was told that I Am a candidate for ablation. I am surprised as the relief was so short lived. My insurance co. refuses to pay as mentioned before hand and Yes, it is performed at a surgery center with "twilight" anesthesia and will cost me out of pocket approx $4,000.00, and there are no guarantees.

@damewocane

I had the genicular nerve test on my knee last week under fluoroscopy. It was painful but only lasted about 20 mins and then sent home w/a pain journal. I was told that the first 24 hrs are the most important to monitor to help the M.D. decide whether or not you are a candidate for the ablation I was pleasantly surprised to feel relief within approx.30 minutes. After 2 yrs of chronic pain, I thought-wow this it!.... I felt so good that I decided to do some holiday shopping and braved a mall, the 2nd hour passed almost pain free and I was elated. The third hour, I felt myself regressing a bit and came home thinking:"Did I over do it?" There were no post op instructions. At the end of the 4th hour my pain was back full on at a 9-10. I was devastated. My understanding was that it"works" for approx 70 % of the candidates and confusedly diagnosed myself as not one of those fortunates. Anxious for some answers, I met with the P.A. today who reviewed my notes ...was told that I Am a candidate for ablation. I am surprised as the relief was so short lived. My insurance co. refuses to pay as mentioned before hand and Yes, it is performed at a surgery center with "twilight" anesthesia and will cost me out of pocket approx $4,000.00, and there are no guarantees.

Jump to this post

I had this done and prior to the ablation, I had two nerve blocks to determine if I was a candidate. I had great results with the first block with no pain for 6 days (first tme of no pain in 4 years) and about 3 days with second one. Unfortunately, I didn't have much success with the ablation as the pre-ablation issue persists. I was disappointed as I was assured success if the blocks works. That price seems so high and I'd explore other options. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees. I do wish you well to finding some success.

I appreciate your input dixiedog -This is my fear- So much of a gamble... what other options have you pursued?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.